Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I think this long thread should be turned into its own forum. Something on this very website, perhaps? Would an admin be willing to do something temporary until Craig decides whether or not to host his own forum?

javaJake said:
Also, I think this long thread should be turned into its own forum. Something on this very website, perhaps? Would an admin be willing to do something temporary until Craig decides whether or not to host his own forum?
If they won't, I will. I've got a LAMP server waiting to be used, and connected right now. What kind of forum software do you want? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
javaJake said:
Bump!

Lurkio said:
zaffercharles said:
But I also want to hear how his run went, is there anything up?
Link

Thanks for the link :rolleyes: .

How about 'ADJUDICATOR' it makes no sense but sounds sort of good :ph34r:

just kidding what I really like's already up here- The Retrocade Craiginator :huh:

cappuchok said:
Has anyone "in the know" actually confirmed that the OMAP3430 has been chosen
I don't think there's been any confirmation as of yet, no. All we do know is that Craigix is in talks with TI. Make of that what you will. No, I don't know anything more myself. Craigix is probably under NDA or whatever, if things have gone that far. Hopefully we'll hear something in a few weeks or so.

As for the codename, it is, of course, Project Bumblebee ;)

atomicthumbs said:
mavsman4457 said:
Speculation, although sometimes fun, is silly. Call me in two months when some real details are released about this thing.
http://craiginator.bluwiki.com

Did you just read the last page or two of forum posts?

SHAME

I removed the bit about SNES emulator performance because a) that was on old hardware B) Squidge left out some pretty important details.

Exophase said:
atomicthumbs said:
mavsman4457 said:
Speculation, although sometimes fun, is silly. Call me in two months when some real details are released about this thing.
http://craiginator.bluwiki.com

Did you just read the last page or two of forum posts?

SHAME

I removed the bit about SNES emulator performance because a) that was on old hardware B) Squidge left out some pretty important details.

Heh, I wonder how many copies of SquidgeSnes it'll be able to run in unison with the OMAP3430. :D

mavsman4457 said:
OK I know this won't be included in this device since it would cost a bunch but imagine this. http://www.ns.umich.edu/htdocs/releases/story.php?id=6084

Oh yeah, a case made out of transparent aluminium would be neat... :D :lol: Seriously though, anyone else think of Star Trek when they read that article? :p

Let's keep things realistic and within the £200 limit, shall we?

Hoping we'll see the official case design from Craigix soon-ish.

atomicthumbs said:
If they won't, I will. I've got a LAMP server waiting to be used, and connected right now. What kind of forum software do you want? :D
I agree with everyone else - it's better to keep everything in one place if we can.

cappuchok said:
Hoping we'll see the official case design from Craigix soon-ish.
I'm wondering whether or not the newsletter Craigix is sending out is the information he mentioned, or if he's going to give out information here, and then more in the newsletter.

About the device exterior, I really hope it won't be all high-gloss like those annoying new "entertainment" laptops. Granted it looks great when perfectly clean but it's a real fingerprint magnet and the glare is too distracting.

On the other hand, while a satin finish like the one used on the GP2X gives a very professional look and doesn't attract ugly fingerprint marks in quite the same way, the satin finish wears off easily (especially around the action buttons). I do hope that the device will sport a satin finish but be "broken through" by brushed or satin metal pads for the high-wear areas like the action button platform and the D-pad area. Take a look at the Thrustmaster FireStorm Dual gamepads to see what I mean.

As for materials, a black magnesium alloy like the one used on Acer's business laptops might be nice if it can be arranged within the £200 "limit". It'd provide a very wear-resistant surface and could be matted to a satin finish that could take some wear without being rubbed glossy, and it'd make for a really durable device. Still, guess I'm dreaming, here. :)

cappuchok said:
About the device exterior, I really hope it won't be all high-gloss like those annoying new "entertainment" laptops. Granted it looks great when perfectly clean but it's a real fingerprint magnet and the glare is too distracting.

On the other hand, while a satin finish like the one used on the GP2X gives a very professional look and doesn't attract ugly fingerprint marks in quite the same way, the satin finish wears off easily (especially around the action buttons). I do hope that the device will sport a satin finish but be "broken through" by brushed or satin metal pads for the high-wear areas like the action button platform and the D-pad area. Take a look at the Thrustmaster FireStorm Dual gamepads to see what I mean.

As for materials, a black magnesium alloy like the one used on Acer's business laptops might be nice if it can be arranged within the £200 "limit". It'd provide a very wear-resistant surface and could be matted to a satin finish that could take some wear without being rubbed glossy, and it'd make for a really durable device. Still, guess I'm dreaming, here. :)
did craig ever come back and say something about this new machine... like he said he will be back in a month did he ever come back in a month!

If he did, it'll be in this thread, right? So this is probably the best place to look, rather than being idle and asking everyone else if he's done something :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back