OS usage stats

gulyman

Still Fresh
In a different thread Craig mentioned this.

I also consider windows a dead/dying OS, everything is moving to Android/iOS at an unprecedented speed.
I was curious to see if that was true. The first google result was this.

http://www.w3schools...browsers_os.asp

I realize that this is just one source, but I think that the w3 guides are some of the most well known. This would hopefully mean it`s more representative of what the developer/programmer community is using.

It looks like linux has hung around 5% for 2011. Mac is slowly improving by about 1% a year.

Edit:thinking about it now, Craig might have meant in the mobile market.

According to wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_operating_system

windows has 2% market share.

Last edited by a moderator:
2% you say? Still better than their 0.2% in the top 500 supercomputer list.

But, Microsoft does have the financial ability and the history to play a long game. Buy a company here, sue a company there, and they're back in business.

What would be the best for everyone, though, is a bit more balance. [insert company here] with most of the mobile market is bad for customers and the future. Doesn't matter who the company is, it's competition that makes things better, not an all Apple or all Android future.

Who remember DEC ? Nobody though they will die.

And they died because their products weren't open.

The exact same reason why M$ is now a dying company.

Being a user of three OS here (OSX 10.6, Win7 and Debian Squeeze) I have to say that Win7 wins hands down for sheer usability. However, from what I've seen of the radical changes made to the desktop in Win8, it remains to be seen how they fare in the future.

For now though, Windows is pretty much it for desktop use. I don't have a mobile phone, so can't comment on their Windows Phone systems (or android/iOS for that matter!)

D.

In a different thread Craig mentioned this.

Edit:thinking about it now, Craig might have meant in the mobile market.

According to wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia...perating_system

windows has 2% market share.

Indeed, and I firmly believe that the 'mobile market' will become the main market over the next 5-6 years.

I predict many phones will move to a size and functionality similar to the Samsung Note, desktops will become a thing of the office only (as of course they once were in the past) and most casual computer uses, the ones who brought he desktop in to the home in the first place, will switch to either a tablet or an ARM based laptop offering a substantial battery life.

As with many things recently it will probably be Apple who push the mainstream acceptance of such laptops, and then the Android ones will gobble up the market.

nah, i don't think the note's format will ever get mainstream. Unless devices and displays start to get roll- or foldable.

I personally think that we start to get in a state where every device we can connect to a computer today will just have it's own chipset inside and provide services to devices within reach. Be it TVs, amps, printers or your heating system. As network bandwith rises much faster then computational power, it will become feasible to have gaming hardware on a single isolated server and access it from anywhere within the home network for serious gaming. No one will care what OS runs there, as long as it features real-time functionality and maximum performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
nah, i don't think the note's format will ever get mainstream. Unless devices and displays start to get roll- or foldable.

Oh, just wait until apple push a phone with a similar sized screen.

I personally think that we start to get in a state where every device we can connect to a computer today will just have it's own chipset inside and provide services to devices within reach. Be it TVs, amps, printers or your heating system. As network bandwith rises much faster then computational power, it will become feasible to have gaming hardware on a single isolated server and access it from anywhere within the home network for serious gaming. No one will care what OS runs there, as long as it features real-time functionality and maximum performance.

I agree with you here entirely.

Back