Microsoft/Android/iOS Debate (Split from Cotton Candy topic)

sebt3

homebrew player (P. & C.)
Website
sebt3.openpandora.org
I also consider windows a dead/dying OS, everything is moving to Android/iOS at an unprecedented speed.
Are you suggesting the desktop is dying ? loll. I wouldnt worry much for Microsoft for the coming years (aka they will sell as much windows/office licences as usual)

x86 type pc's wether mac, windows or linux will never fully go away as proffesionals rely on them. However people who use there pc's for entertainment/web etc will probably move to some sort of tablet device be it android or iOS or anything else over the next few years so it will prob get to a stage like this:

80% tablets vs 20% pc's (as we know them today).

but proper pc's well never fully go away IMO anyway

I see x86 platform sticking around for a while, well until an ARM device can render current generation games at least 1920x1080 with filtering and anti-aliasing set to high.

I think that large, desktop style computers will always be around for any sort of constructive work; they have good keyboards, bigger screens more versatile HIDs (all that desk space) and more power to run graphics development systems etc

Tablets are great for content consumption, but not a lot else.

The interesting point is: will we reach a stage where it is unusual for a home to have computer with a full keyboard and the rest?

Last edited by a moderator:
I also consider windows a dead/dying OS, everything is moving to Android/iOS at an unprecedented speed.
Are you suggesting the desktop is dying ? loll. I wouldnt worry much for Microsoft for the coming years (aka they will sell as much windows/office licences as usual)

I didn't say that did I? I said Windows was dying. (loll?!)

The majority of future desktops will run Android or iOS.

You might use a 'proper'(windows) computer but the man in the street is moving to Android/iOS.

Milkshake is dead on, I'd agree with 80% will move away from Windows.

My reply cover the windows part. And I'll repeat myself : windows is not dying anytime soon. (sadly)

Even funnier, tried android on a desktop ? It doesnt feel alright : it havent been built for that

You might use a 'proper'(windows) computer but the man in the street is moving to Android/iOS.
I'm forced on using that shitty OS (I'm used to call it "gameboy" as it's only suited to play not to work), I would use something else entirely if I was allowed to

I disagree. I think that Android, iOS, and smartphone interfaces are designed for touchscreens and won't stray far from that.

I believe that we will split into tablety-smartphoney media viewers running something akin to iOS, while desktop PCs will run something comparable to today's desktop interfaces. I could imagine, though that the average 'I need a new internet' computer user will end up using something tablety (which M$ loses out on), while constructive home users use something more geek-freindly (which M$ looses out on). Then as such geek-friendly systems become synonymous with productivity, businesses will cash in of the huge savings afforded by free-software (which M$ looses out on).

We will then have a big, galumphing corporation, downgrading its main product to &#*%$ every 3 years, trying to work out which direction to go in, toying with useless innovation, while lagging behind what people actually buy.

In the portable market, there will be pocket things with touchscreens which people buy because its a useful communication device that they can waste time on, and something with a real keyboard and a big dispaly that can be used as a entertainment device, or for real work.

That leaves two things:

a hybrid 'what is it' device that allows geeky productivity in your pocket, sitting happily in its niche

something useless (magical fantastic brilliant amazing so easy great wonderful fun brilliant awesome) that people buy because it has shiny round corners.

In other words, like the present, but with something media orientated and tablety having deeper market penetration as the easy computer for normal people.

Microsoft is dead since the release of seven. They will survive a little more with their idiotic lawsuits.

All the new generation know the existence of Linux, and know it's better.

Apple is still a problem, but it's so expensive (because they are greedy) they will lost plenty of customers to things like, let's say, Open Pandora ;^).

Microsoft is dead since the release of seven. They will survive a little more with their idiotic lawsuits.

All the new generation know the existence of Linux, and know it's better.

Apple is still a problem, but it's so expensive (because they are greedy) they will lost plenty of customers to things like, let's say, Open Pandora ;^).
Sorry to sound heavy.

This is just fanatism bullshit ! The reality is that windows and office are there to stay for a while. The ribon could have killed them....if openoffice would have been on par. Now that most users have migrated to the ribbon interface, MS is here to stay for a while.

That's market facts. Like it or not.

My job is to design application architecture based on needs my customers tell me. No matter how I sell them, freesoftware doesnt stand a chance. And the issues havent anything to do with the quality or the completness of the solution. On one of my current project, I'm readying to show 2 solutions, 1 based on Oracle products end-to-end which cost a awesome fortune and the other one that fit all the clients criteria, match all the requiered feature and fit within budget but is based on free software (liferay). I can even get a good support at a good price. Yet I'm sure in the end, the client will prefer doing nothing.... I should be happy : my client is realy open to free software compared to the rest of the market : I wouldnt have to discuss that the server OS would be linux....

remove your pink glaces...

My reply cover the windows part. And I'll repeat myself : windows is not dying anytime soon. (sadly)

Even funnier, tried android on a desktop ? It doesnt feel alright : it havent been built for that

I'm forced on using that shitty OS (I'm used to call it "gameboy" as it's only suited to play not to work), I would use something else entirely if I was allowed to

This might all be true for you, but back in the real world the absolutely amazing statistics for android and iOS users - not to mention the number of apps being ported - speaks for itself.

You're witnessing an OS switch as big as the late 80's migration to Windows.

Forget openoffice - google will kill MS office.

It can't support windows, windows is X86 based.

Actually microsoft anounced a version of windows for all arm cortex based cpus a few months back.

ARM is supported by Linux since a long time. It's 100% operational.

Who cares about a vapor platform ?

That's market facts.

Things are changing fast.

My job is to design application architecture

I'm in too, and there will be less and less windows lovers.

This might all be true for you, but back in the real world the absolutely amazing statistics for android and iOS users - not to mention the number of apps being ported - speaks for itself.
Sure the movement to smartphone/tablet is impressive. and I can believe that the desktop might disappear from homes (at least until they want to start to create instead of consuming only). But there is no way in hell the desktop disappear from the office space. and that's MS bread and butter. (hint there is connector for exchange and iOS/android)

Things are changing fast.
Sure, but only in the smartphone/tablet market. It might be a hyped market. but that a single market. A market I'm not even in.

Windows works. At least for me, it always worked, I usualy don't have crashes, all my Games run smooth, all my programms I use run great, and my OS does what it should. Making it's job and don't going on my nuts. :D

And Microsoft still dominates the OS Market, I see no dying here. If they are under 50% with worldwide PC Operating Systems, then we can start to write condolences. I know the Smartphone/Handheld situation is different but there, MS never had any real success so no surprises. I'm sure that Android & Co. will be more and more common on the Mobile front.

However, "pure" Linux for example still has to go a long way imho. Well, my newer Linux experiences are limited to Pandora and it's (general "beta") OS usage so I can't say much about. It WORKS but calling it "fluid" "smooth" or "matured" would be a lie, sadly. :(

I really look a little bit jealous on all the iOS or Android devices, even if I never would buy one. But there, everything ...well... maybe is not better but it LOOKS better. :D And it is fluid. Damn, I'm sure they also just cook with water so what's their secret?

windows has had it's day. I reckon there will be a few more like chromeOS and jolicloud's joliOS (since "the cloud" is quite the buzzword these days) as well as android and ios getting theirs.

The major weak spot for Linux is gaming and it will remain like that for quite a while longer. Contrary to popular belief, PC gaming is NOT dead and many households will not throw out their Windows PCs because of it. Apple has a chance of gaining a foothold in this market, but Linux will not be taken seriously and will continue to depend on Wine. Which is doable, I've been a Linux/Wine gamer for a couple of years, but it is far from ready for the masses.

PCs will not disappear either. Mobile devices suck for serious productivity work and I don't see Windows relinquishing its hold on the business desktop market any time soon. iOS and Android will most likely continue to dominate the mobile market and eventually your mobile devices will all dock into a monitor/mouse/keyboard for basic productivity stuff at home.

Web applications and Microsofts own console might threaten their hold on the desktop market, but do not underestimate Microsofts ability to adapt to a changing market.

Let us see how Windows 8 pans out.
My prediction is that it'll go the way that Rim is slipping: they tried to grab a slice of the rapidly expanding non-techy, "casual" gamer market and in so doing they alienated their business market. Windows 8 appears to be doing the same thing. Technically Windows has been pushing in that direction for a while but with Windows 8 they are really trying to entice the simpler folk and in so doing I really expect there will be a massive backlash from their business sector.

Didn't happen with Rim. They're still struggling to regain the market they lost to Apple from their mistake.

Back