Original Preorders.

Think I will request that Alex Polizzi includes Craig in her next TV show - just on BBC2 now and has turned a right shower of crap into a half descent business.

She is great on marketing i.e. actually doing some that is relevant!

......and why not try eBay - more sales is more sales and is therefore more profit - we need units to move fast albeit whilst maintaining enough profit to sort the pre orders.

I also haven't seen much requests specifically asking for availablilty on eBay - why would anyone want to buy their Pandora specifically from eBay anyway ?
The idea is not to sell to people who already know about the pandora but rather to sell addiional units to people who discover it from an ebay search.

Well the ICP was on thinkgeek , so the process of getting the Pandora on should hopefully be simple

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people would indeed stumble upon the pandora during an ebay search. I don't see why Ed couldn't add the ebay fees to the asking "buy now" price. They're not requiring sellers to set their price to the same as their online shop.
With the Pandoras price tag already beeing the one thing that keeps most people off (or at least rant about the Pandora) ? Even with the refurbished models this would mean a price increase of at least 17€ (afaik he has to pay a monthly fee of about 20€ + some small fee for offering something + 5% of the actual sales price) - Is this really worth the effort ?
As per the ebay.com listing fee calculator, the fees for listing a 1Ghz $600 Pandora would be as follows:

Type of fee Cost:

Insertion fee $0.50  

Final value fee (on sale price) $31.00  

Final value fee (on shipping cost)   $1.00  

Total estimated fees $32.50

As you can see the listing fee is only 50 cents, if a sale is made a fee of $32 would be payable (on top of the 50 cents)

Basically this says it is well worth listing on ebay.com . No need to raise the price, the fee would come out of the profit . Remember profit made via distributers is less also.

In the end, an extra sale via ebay equates to extra profits and more pre-orders that can then be payed for and shipped.

The idea is not to sell to people who already know about the pandora but rather to sell addiional units to people who discover it from an ebay search.
How should that happen ? If people don't know about the Pandora they won't search for it (even if they do they probably see a lot of jewlery or psp batteries). So if they browse through a proper section (which doesn't exist btw.) they will see a lot of competitors - but with just a picture, an auction title text, and (in comparison to other products in the list) a very high pricetag - why on earth should they even think about giving the Pandora a closer look ?

Some people would indeed stumble upon the pandora during an ebay search. I don't see why Ed couldn't add the ebay fees to the asking "buy now" price. They're not requiring sellers to set their price to the same as their online shop.
With the Pandoras price tag already beeing the one thing that keeps most people off (or at least rant about the Pandora) ? Even with the refurbished models this would mean a price increase of at least 17€ (afaik he has to pay a monthly fee of about 20€ + some small fee for offering something + 5% of the actual sales price) - Is this really worth the effort ?
 As per the ebay.com listing fee calculator, the fees for listing a 1Ghz $600 Pandora would be as follows:

Type of fee Cost:

Insertion fee $0.50  

Final value fee (on sale price) $31.00  

Final value fee (on shipping cost)   $1.00  

Total estimated fees $32.50

As you can see the listing fee is only 50 cents, if a sale is made a fee of $32 would be payable (on top of the 50 cents)

Basically this says it is well worth listing on ebay.com . No need to raise the price, the fee would come out of the profit . Remember profit made via distributers is less also.

In the end, an extra sale via ebay equates to extra profits and more pre-orders that can then be payed for and shipped.
No offense, but are we really having on conversation or are we both embraced in akward simultaneous monolgues ? 32 USD of extra fee + the monthly fee you forgot to add (and thats only for the basic shop, don't know its limitations) will give the Pandora a price tag of (roughly) extremly attractive 640 USD.With the price tag beeing already a ubiquitous complained everywhere the Pandora gets some publicity, I don't see the point in wasting money on eBay

Edit: small price correction - vat now excluded

^ What Monthly fee are you referring to?   You don't need to start an ebay shop to list.

Conversation?,  this is a an open forum.

You seem to be against ebay, fair enough, but others including myself have other opinions. I think at this stage we can just except that will remain the case.

^ What Monthly fee are you referring to?   You don't need to start an ebay shop to list.

Conversation?,  this is a an open forum.

You seem to be against ebay, fair enough, but others including myself have other opinions. I think at this stage we can just except that will remain the case.
Mistake on my side, I thought that for sellings things as a commercial seller you need to have to an eBay shop.
Sure this is an open forum, but as you adress posts of mine and I do it the other way round, this seems some kinde of conversation to me (?)

I'm not against eBay in general, I think its just a waste of time and money in that case.

How should that happen ? If people don't know about the Pandora they won't search for it
By including useful search terms in the description and listing title.
... will give the Pandora a price tag of (roughly) extremly attractive 640 USD.

With the price tag beeing already a ubiquitous complained everywhere the Pandora gets some publicity, I don't see the point in wasting money on eBay
Conversely one could argue that since the price is already high, adding a bit won't deter any customers. Like an apple product, the Pandora sells to people for which it is a "must have" item.

I'm not claiming to know how potential customers would react to an Ebay listing. You are, and I think that is a bit foolish.

By including useful search terms in the description and listing title.
such as ?If they already search for specific devices, why would they constrain themselfes to ebay if they could just use a search engine ?

Conversely one could argue that since the price is already high, adding a bit won't deter any customers. Like an apple product, the Pandora sells to people for which it is a "must have" item.

I'm not claiming to know how potential customers would react to an Ebay listing. You are, and I think that is a bit foolish. 
No you can't argue like that as the Pandora is no "apple like" product at all, and I think its a bit foolish with people mainly complaining about the price to push it even higher.

Put it this way , at times I will search the video game console category on ebay  for new consoles.  That will list about 3000 listings on ebay.com(US)  much less on other ebay sites.  If you filter again for consoles not made by the mainstream brands ie other Platforms, you get down to 600.  It's here that you will see all the non mainstream consoles on the market etc . A lot of people like myself search like this to see these.

Similarly if you search for UMPC on ebay.com  you only get 400 odd listings. Searching for this keyword is actually how I found all the different types of UMPC's out there.   

So basically what I'm saying is that new people will come across the Pandora by scanning categories and, like Klapse mentions,  by searching for key words like UMPC (ie not specifically for Pandora)

It's this sort of searching that led me to find out about a lot of tech I hadn't before known about, particularly UMPC's.

As for the fee ebay charges for successful sales ie $32 in this case.  You can either include that in the list price, or you can absorb it as I was suggesting , and by that I mean make $32 less profit on these ebay sales.

This would be similar to the reduced profit ED makes by selling to re-sellers at reduced prices.

Put it this way , at times I will search the video game console category on ebay  for new consoles.  That will list about 3000 listings on ebay.com(US)  much less on other ebay sites.  If you filter again for consoles not made by the mainstream brands ie other Platforms, you get down to 600.  It's here that you will see all the non mainstream consoles on the market etc . A lot of people like myself search like this to see these.

It's this sort of searching that led me to find out about a lot of tech I hadn't before known about, particularly UMPC's.
hmm, people really limit themselves like that? But if people really do this, your point seems more valid.
As for the fee ebay charges for successful sales ie $32 in this case.  You can either include that in the list price, or you can absorb it as I was suggesting , and by that I mean make $32 less profit on these ebay sales.

This would be similar to the reduced profit ED makes by selling to re-sellers at reduced prices.
But Ed uses this profits to generate preoorder funding, so I guess it would not be very "community friendly".

As long as there are people selling second-hand Pandoras on eBay (afaik there are always one or two), "people finding out about the existence of Pandoras accidentally in an eBay search" is not a valid reason to start selling new units there, since it's easy enough to do a google search to find the place where the new units are sold. Reducing the profit or increasing the price doesn't seem like a good idea.

^ Reduced profit by much more than $32 is exactly what happens now via re-sellers ED uses.

In the end an extra sale with x-$32 profit is far better than 0 extra sales with $0 profit.

Accidentally is pretty much how most people find new tech, they don't know about it to start with do they? It's how I found the Pandora to start with.

That said, accidentally is a little off, people searching for UMPCs to see whats available and then seeing the Pandora is more targeted than accidental.

Remember, we are trying to gain sales here in new avenues for the least risk.  Using the biggest market in the world -> ebay, makes obvious sense.  

Otherwise lets just keep on with the status quo and have pre-orders wait another 1.5 years before they are cleared out. 

Sorry, but a google search is terrible for finding where to buy the Pandora, unless of course your after jewelery.   

In the end an extra sale with x-$32 profit is far better than 0 extra sales with $0 profit.
But with additional expenses that probably won't justify the outcome. The money that has to be invested maybe minimal, but selling them over eBay would be another "shop" Ed would have to take care off. Something that - according to my experiences - is just not possible at the moment.

Otherwise lets just keep on with the status quo and have pre-orders wait another 1.5 years before they are cleared out. 
Why ? You mentioned alternatives yourself
Sorry, but a google search is terrible for finding where to buy the Pandora, unless of course your after jewelery.   
Not everyone uses googles searchengine, but I'm not sure about what your getting at - should people stumble over the Pandora or should they search for places to buy her deliberately ? I also don't see why eBay searchengine should deliver better results in this case than the engine of an average www searchengine.

I think your missing the points I was making including the sarcasm.

ED makes less on the 1 Ghz Pandoras to resellers like Link than he would by selling on ebay - was one of the points.  

If people already know about the Pandora and look to buy it, they are not the extra sales we are looking to get.  They would form part of the 3-4 Pandora's Ed sells now.

To get extra sales we need to capture those that don't know about the Pandora and therefor won't be searching for the Pandora.  They will be searching for UMPC's on ebay, they will be searching for handheld game consoles on ebay etc.  Do you see what Im getting at?, if the Pandora isn't where the target market is looking for such devices , then how can they discover it and buy it?.  Thats how a lot of sales for any product on ebay is generated.

Augh my eyes are bleeding.

"Sorry, but a google search is terrible for finding where to buy the Pandora, unless of course YOU'RE after jewelery"

"Not everyone uses googles searchengine, but I'm not sure about what YOU'RE getting at."

"I think YOU'RE missing the points I was making including the sarcasm."

See kids, "you're" is a contraction of "you are". If you can substitute "you are", then do not type "your". Get it???

Bak 2 skul wif ye skurvy bastads!

On topic: I agree with vcoleiro that every major sales channel should be tried, and ebay is one of them.

You are in a losing battle Klaspe, the speed typing masses of the internet care not of the proper use of contractions..

Back