Opensource-handheld With Wireless?

klakklak

Still Fresh
hi folks,

i'm new here and i have a little question:

i am looking for a handheld which has good performance and wireless connection. I know the gamepark still doesnt provide wireless connections, is that right? or has anyone found out a way to add this feature?

i am asking because i (we) are looking for a platform to publish our own game. the gamepark would be amazing if there would be a chance to add wifi. well its not about internet connection, more like the Nintendo DS way of communicating with each other.

do you know know any other handheld which has all of this?:

- "open" system (or hacked)

- wireless connection

- usb or other input possibilities (the more the better ;))

any suggestions are welcome, thanks for posting,

greetz
arjan

oh, nice i didn't know that.

it has a range of 10 meters, correct? :)

by the way, is there any possibility of a "port replicator", duplicating the EXT port of gp32? just came into my mind... i mean, transfer rate would be damn slow i guess.

thx
arjan

I've seen a bluetooth device for the GP on a website that was recently mentioned because of the GPS for the GP32, just look for it on the news! I dunno if it's out for sale yet or anything, but in any case it should be soon, I guess :p
So the GP32 keeps on the edge of technology, don't go looking for another one... Yet ;P

klakklak posted on Apr 10 2005 at 12:32 PM said:
hi folks,

i'm new here and i have a little question:

i am looking for a handheld which has good performance and wireless connection. I know the gamepark still doesnt provide wireless connections, is that right? or has anyone found out a way to add this feature?

i am asking because i (we) are looking for a platform to publish our own game. the gamepark would be amazing if there would be a chance to add wifi. well its not about internet connection, more like the Nintendo DS way of communicating with each other.

do you know know any other handheld which has all of this?:

- "open" system (or hacked)

- wireless connection

- usb or other input possibilities (the more the better ;))

any suggestions are welcome, thanks for posting,

greetz
arjan
No to be mean or any thing but there are only a few people that have a 2nd gp32/know someone with a gp32 so it be kinda pointless to make a mulitplayer game.

Bourbon

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the idea surely is nice, but I think nearly no one would be able to use it... like bourbon said.

on gp32 you have usb (host and client mode), ext(2*uart,i2c,analog input,jtag) for wireless you can use the official rf link (slow), or the homemade and faster bluetooth adapter fom Toyz 4 Boyz.
of course you could also write a drive for usb storage/wlan, in gp32linux you can allready conenct storage,(w)lan adapters and keayboard/mouse to usb.

c0ncept posted on Apr 10 2005 at 05:33 PM said:
I hesitate to bring it up, but doesn't the gizmondo (I feel stupid just typing that f**king name...) have wifi?
Gizmondo is not open... and its ugly with a tiny screen... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you looked at a pocket pc? 600Mhz processor, wifi, bluetooth, usb, and since it's windows, you can run any ppc progs you want on it :)

I know I'll probably get shot down for saying this, but the Zodiac (and other Palm devices) is possibly viable as it offers both bluetooth and wifi (with an add-on). Unfortunatly it dosen't have a BUS (USB, but that's what my friend calls it) port, and it's connector isn't a PUC (Palm Universal Connector) so it may not be the device for you. However the market would be fairly large, as you could make the game compatible with all palm devices.

Back