Wireless Router

saintdragon

Website
Visit site
Ok, tommorow is the big day!!! for me anyway :)

im gonna go out and buy a wireless router, i wanna ask some quistions which i know that have been but i want to ask quistions which havent been answered, ok?

So i buy the wireless router, then what? i need to do some hud stuff or something, or is it self explanitary when i try and get a connection?

How much are they now, im gonna go check out pc world tommorow, can you tell me how much it is for a wireless router(p.s not from the internet, im talking about shops in london or big stores over england)

i think you can get one for around 40 quid?

i run dsl 512kbites internet, how fast is it going to be on the psp, i raed recently its around 3 times faster then normal dial up, but then again i dont know what connection they had...

also if i goto a hotspot in london, do i have to do something so that the psp can connect to the wifi connection?

thanks people :)!

saintdragon posted on Aug 2 2005 at 04:30 PM said:
Ok, tommorow is the big day!!!      for me anyway :)

im gonna go out and buy a wireless router, i wanna ask some quistions which i know that have been but i want to ask quistions which havent been answered, ok?

So i buy the wireless router, then what? i need to do some hud stuff or something, or is it self explanitary when i try and get a connection?

How much are they now, im gonna go check out pc world tommorow, can you tell me how much it is for a wireless router(p.s not from the internet, im talking about shops in london or big stores over england)

i run dsl 512kbites internet, how fast is it going to be on the psp, i raed recently its around 3 times faster then normal dial up, but then again i dont know what connection they had...

also if i goto a hotspot in london, do i have to do something so that the psp can connect to the wifi connection?

I can't help you with pricing, i'm in the US, but once you buy the router, you will not need any other equipment. When you go to set up your connection on your PSP, the PSP will find the signal from your router automatically. This is also the same with wifi hot spots, it's easier with V2.0 firmware since everytime you start up the browser it automatically looks for a connection so as long as the connection you are trying to connect to is not password protected, there is nothing you will need to do. It is extremely easy to use, trust me.

My DSL is twice as fast as yours, i got about 3-5x faster speeds browsing on the PSP than my comp with dial up, so i'd imagine yours would be the same as dial up, maybe a bit faster, but then it also depends on how strong the signal is. When you setup your network, make sure you have the wifi powersaver thing in the power saving options turned off. It eats the battery a bit quicker, but you'll get a stronger signal from your router.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it dpends on what you want

a wireless 54mbps router will set you back about £50, with 108mbps being around an extra tenner

If you want a modem built in aswell expect to pay an extra £30, and a VoiP socket about an extra £15

i also assume you were attaching your PC to the router through ethternet, otherwise you'll be spending an extra £10 on a wireless PCI card

those are rough sorta prices, they usually vary depending on the brand (where I work Belking is the cheapest, LinkSys is middle range, and NETGEAR is just overpriced)

saintdragon posted on Aug 2 2005 at 04:30 PM said:
Ok, tommorow is the big day!!! for me anyway :)

Should be pretty easy to get going, the settings at default should get ADSL going. If not, your ISP should provide the details and the manual should tell you where to put them. How good is your knowledge on networking?

PC World is stupidly overpriced (although you might try to get one that is on sale). Online they range from £40-£80 pending on the brand, speed and features.

If you are running a 512 connection, your download rate is about 50k/s and upload is about 8k/s (i think).

Depends if the hotspot is open completely, if it is then all you really have to do is go through the 'wizard' on your psp at the home screen.

Look up on wireless security as well, WEP, WPA and mac filter lists.

i have a question, does you modem need to support a network port,

becuase mine is a usb broadband modem and i cant see how i can connect the main internet connection to the router

i'm not exactly sure, but i would think you'd need an ethernet from the modem you have now to the router, i'm just trying to remember how mine is set up, though mine is not USB, i just have the modem, power supply to it, and phone cord to modem, ethernet to computer. so i would assume if you got a router, you would just need the ethernet from router to your modem, if your modem supports it, or vice versa, have whatever you have from your wall into your router, then have the cable into your modem.

thanks...

i have an alright knowledge of networking, i think :), i want to go for the cheap optional routers... i dont have a big bugget, also im not too sure about my modem, i think its plugged in the ethernet port(i know its behind the computer though :p), not too sure, iv got a belkin thingy which i bought early this year which lets the wire from the modem to usb, which isnt in use, so i can use with wireless router, right?

my modem has a few ports, around 3 or more, 1 for me, 1 for my brother and the rest are free, is that good?

EDIT* just looked at the box, its a ethernet to modem, iv also got some spare i think its called ethernet cables, i think its that anyway...

Use a Netgeae DG5G, reccomended to me by WarmFluffy and very good value, amazon.co.uk sell them for about £60

Nova posted on Aug 2 2005 at 09:50 PM said:
Use a Netgeae DG5G, reccomended to me by WarmFluffy and very good value, amazon.co.uk sell them for about £60

thanks, but no thanks, because i want it tommorow and i only want to pay 40 for it and if any additional costs come up then il have backup money for that aka my mum :)...

dixons have it at £39 apparently.

if you get it let me know if it works well cuz im after setting up wireless for my psp & laptop.

Gaz.

my mistake its only £39 online. £49 instore.

i'd check at maplins if there's one close to you cuz pc world is a bit dear + I HATE THEM lol

gary.mckeown posted on Aug 3 2005 at 03:23 PM said:
dixons have it at £39 apparently.

if you get it let me know if it works well cuz im after setting up wireless for my psp & laptop.

Gaz.

my mistake its only £39 online. £49 instore.

i'd check at maplins if there's one close to you cuz pc world is a bit dear + I HATE THEM lol

i cant be f'ed to go maplins, thats all the way up in queens way, im too lazy ;P, il probable get it from pc world, unless someone tells me how much it is in maplins and if its worth it il go...

sure, il tell ya how good it is...

got it! have to set up now.....

its a "belkin wireless g router"

gaz, you want a pic, may look for it and post a link to the pic of pcworld, thats where i got it from, 55 quid! ot says in big letters "125 high speed mode-2.4ghz * wireless"

the 54 mps one was 45 quid belkin... but i saw this one which was better and only £10 more so not much choice then just to buy a better one...

if i have any quistions il be sure to post it here!

ok, got it working, im currently using the techi i think its called web browser which is japanese, cant be assed to ask my mum what it says, so it there any good english ones?

thanks for any help ^_^... looks good so far and the page i went to loaded fast :)...

sensible GP32 posted on Aug 2 2005 at 07:07 PM said:
sigggghhhhh

anyone wanna link me up to a good cheap broadband modem with network port, support
Are you on adsl or cable? If ADSL, just buy a router with a modem built into it.

Back