Openpandora2, what we know so far.

Yes, SD to microSD adapters exist, but that is not practical at all - even a USB SD card reader would be better.

However, microSD to SD adapters exist, they are practical, and they are typically even included with the microSD card.

I'd be alright with one full SD and one micro SD slot if space allows but, if the P2 has a fast OTG, wouldn't that dismiss concerns about losing micro SD's if there isn't very much reason to pull them out of their bays once placed inside? I assume they can just be left in while writes occur over the OTG port cable to whatever device it's plugged into. Except for capacity limits, I don't see it as a negative using micro exclusively.

Sorry, not trying to derail here. :mellow:

You are of course, correct. The problem as I see it is that they're trying to design the product with a finite size in mind in terms of external dimensions. I'm assuming the case will be made of ABS plastic for durability and cost concerns. Case regitity and integrity would also be a necessity which would require a certain thickness to acheive. The separation of the control and maybe the power boards from the main board would take up a little more space. Assuming of course that the layout of the device is similar to the Pandora 1 in which the processing board would have to be placed under the control board. Depending on your separation layer it could add quite a bit of thickness. I would gladly have the device be a few millimeters thicker if it would give me full SD card slots in lieu of microSD. The sockets for the sd cards would have to either be on the control board or the processing board if they're not placed in the lid (cable, connection, and product complexity concerns there). If it's on the processing board then there's concerns with the liscensing fee (I don't know whether it's per device or per socket). Elementary particles are quite fast so there wouldn't be much lag time if they were placed on the control board. (again, I'm assuming)

Edit: The concern as far as I can gather is capacity, speed (transfer rates), and compatability with other devices without the need for external adapters. Most full sd card adapters are considered internal.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be great if the P2 would be backwards-compatible with the P1 in the sense that its default OS is a superset of SuperZaxxon, its CPU is backwards-compatible, and it has at least one full SD slot. It should not be impossible to make it so that you can just insert your P1 SD card (containing your favorite PNDs and their appdata) in the P2 and it just works.

That's exactly my plan.
That is a very good plan. You need to make sure the others involved in the hardware design share and understand that plan.

As long as EvilDragon involved we don't have to worry.
What worries me is that it feels like he's gotten left out of the loop on a few major design bits already.

Yes, SD to microSD adapters exist, but that is not practical at all - even a USB SD card reader would be better.

However, microSD to SD adapters exist, they are practical, and they are typically even included with the microSD card.
The reason they're included - so you can use them with a device (microSD format) and a computer (SD format). The Pandora is a computer not just a 'device'.

Is there any possibility of official posts explaining decisions being made around this like this?

Is there any possibility of official posts explaining decisions being made around this like this?

Probably, when there's anything official.

Right now, this is the "Pandora 2 Spam forum", which has been created by Craig to discuss about ideas.

I think android will help sell more p2s to casual consumers who like everything to just work. Then once they are here they may also try out the linux os and the related apps/games.

Im more interested in having our own operating system and community emulators and such. Having linux brings the for want of a better word 'hardcore' pandora users onboard for the p2 whilst android can help broaden the userbase. Im sure nothing is set in stone yet as regards p2 as ed said though. Backwards compatability with the p1 makes sense if its not too costly to implement as its just icing on the cake.

It would be great if the P2 would be backwards-compatible with the P1 in the sense that its default OS is a superset of SuperZaxxon, its CPU is backwards-compatible, and it has at least one full SD slot. It should not be impossible to make it so that you can just insert your P1 SD card (containing your favorite PNDs and their appdata) in the P2 and it just works.

That's exactly my plan.

That's very good to hear then. :)

Two full size on front and a micro on rear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible for you ED to give us some more info about the specifications or at least tell us when there will be an official information?

Is it possible for you ED to give us some more info about the specifications or at least tell us when there will be an official information?

No, as nothing is set in stone yet.

To be honest, I'm not even sure yet I will involve myself in the Pandora 2, as Craigs vision of the Pandora 2 seems so much different from my idea.

From what I read, he mostly wants an Android device with the best specs available and added keyboard and gaming controls.

That's not what I would like to create.

For me, Linux is still the most important factor. There are hundreds of Android devices out there. But not one good pocketable Linux device.

For that, I want an LCD with resistive screen (capacitive is way too inaccurate, I tried using Linux on the Nexus 7, it's terrible, a hit and miss if you want to click something on the desktop).

I also want the best FITTING LCD available (form factor, power consumption, resolution, etc.), not just a FullHD one just because they are the latest available.

If we can't find a proper solution that would suit both uses, then I see no reason why I should involve myself.

Nothing is set yet, but it's just what I'm thinking about.

Aditionally, the way Craig handles a business is totally different from how I handle a business. Not sure if it's really compatible.

Well, time will tell.

Highest priority for me right now is getting the remaining Pandora 1 shipped (and sold).

While I'm also thinking about how I think a Pandora 2 should be, these are just ideas, nothing more.

So we'll see :)

When time will come to think seriously about the design of the P2, maybe a poll should be made with choices like :

* P2 resistive screen, Linux main OS, Android fully compatible

* P2 capacitive screen, Android main OS, ubuntu can be installed via android

* Other proposition etc...

after all pandora has a strong community and we'll be the first to buy the P2 if it meets what we expects of it :)

(Personnally I prefer linux as main OS, but P2 should be what the community want, not me).

Back