Release openMSX_PND v0.2.0

OK, i will fix that in my upcoming release. I understand that the libPND in HF5 manges the $APPDATADIR in different way than HF6.

hotfix 6 just auto redirects any data from your home folder on the nand to the appdata folder where as on HF5 you must manually do that in your start up script thats all.

For some reason my computer will not let me put the out.log as a file= i am not permitted.

Guess this is one emulator I will never have.

I tried , I really did.

Cheers.

Game controls not mapped yet. Full input mapping options would be nice, but if it's easier for you to simply mimic the ABXY mappings of PandoraMSX that would probably be fine.
Gruso, could you be more explicit about this ? What are the game controls you are speaking about ? Joystick ? What means "mimic the ABXY mappings" ?

Thanks !

Game controls not mapped yet. Full input mapping options would be nice, but if it's easier for you to simply mimic the ABXY mappings of PandoraMSX that would probably be fine.
Gruso, could you be more explicit about this ? What are the game controls you are speaking about ? Joystick ? What means "mimic the ABXY mappings" ?

Thanks !
Something tells me he never even played it. :blink:

I will try it again with the update,hopefully it will work for me.

Last edited:
Tried the update and this time I could not even boot up MSX from desktop .

Not only that but this time there was no folder made up in appdata which I figured is because I could not even boot up MSX this time. The icon just flashed a bit then reappeared on the desktop.

The .pnd was placed in my apps folder where is where I have all my other emulators and they all work spot on. I use XFCE GUI because I dislike mini-muenu.

Does this only work with HF6?

Anyhow, I surrender . I am an old man with little patients today :angry:

Happy Holidays and hope for a real white Christmas!! I hope the slopes have prime powder!!!

I will be off to Colorado tomorrow and will return after New Years.

Ciao.

Last edited:

Thanks !
In PandoraMSX, the Pandora's X and B game buttons are mapped to MSX joystick button 1 & 2, making them the default action buttons in a game. They're also mapped as selection keys in the emulator GUI itself, so you don't need to use the Enter key when navigating menus, picking ROMs etc. In OpenMSX, the game buttons seem to bring up some GUI elements but not much else.

That aside, the update is great, cheers :) The built in menu was a nice hidden gem (thanks matti1234).

I'll let SladeCraven answer that one, but on a slightly related note: I notice that the file picker will only see .zip files, but you can launch .rom files from the terminal. (Not a bug or change request, just a bit of trivia.)

If I understand right, I can't use .dsk on this one, right ? Cause the bios is not really released.
As you can see in the openMSX documentation (setup guide), you can add legacy system ROMs in the appdata/openMSX/systemroms/ and select the appropriate machine in the menu, you will have the full emulation of the original computer.

Note that you can google a bit to find MSX system ROMS.

I'll let SladeCraven answer that one, but on a slightly related note: I notice that the file picker will only see .zip files, but you can launch .rom files from the terminal. (Not a bug or change request, just a bit of trivia.)
Well... on my side, when i browse with the integrated menu, i can see both files (ie .rom and .zip).

I need to use it in window mode. tried to edit settings.xml but is overwritten every time I start the pnd

how could I start and use openmsx in a window?

thx

That seems to be a bad startupscript, that copys the defaultconfig over the new config everytime you start it.

You can try to mount the pnd, find the startupscript and add a -n to the cp commands. Then save your edited script to the appdatafolder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to help and to continue effort on openMSX and TO8 emulator, but my Pandora is still broken (see ).

As soon i get my Pandora back, i will continue to support my ports of course :)

ok, it was the script

PND is mounted in /mnt/pnd/openMSX_PND

there is a run.sh with a line like this calling to a tcl script:

./openmsx.bin -script omsxcmd.tcl >> $APPDATADIR/out.log

and inside omsxcmd.tcl some settings:

set fullscreen false

unbind F12

bind F12 "main_menu_open"

save_settings

main_menu_open

I just changed set fullscreen true to false and openmsx run in a window now

thank you guys!

now I will try to add more roms (machines) and select them from the emu gui

Maybe i missed something, but you can access the GIU by pressing the F12 key in the fullscreen interface. Why do you need to switch to windowed mode ?

I desire to learn to code asm for msx

and need to see the emu and the pdfs as well

everything while traveling by bus to my job every morning lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Back