Release openMSX_PND v0.2.0

I have a game that is a .mx2 file. When I navigate to its folder, the meny does not list the file and I am not able to select it.

Also, how do I bring up the menu? There is no F12 key on the pandora.

Is there any way to map the A + B keys to the A + B joystick keys of the MSX? Playing with space + n is very annoying :) Thanks!

BTW: I am a coder; if you would be able to give me some pointers, I might be able to pull it off myself; but I have no clue where to start at the moment (even; is there a sourcecode for this PND or is that in the main tree of openmsx?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any way to map the A + B keys to the A + B joystick keys of the MSX? Playing with space + n is very annoying :) Thanks!

BTW: I am a coder; if you would be able to give me some pointers, I might be able to pull it off myself; but I have no clue where to start at the moment (even; is there a sourcecode for this PND or is that in the main tree of openmsx?)
As far as i know, the modified source code is only available on my server. I pushed my modifications to the OpenMSX maintener some months ago, but my Pandora was unavailable during 4 months, so i need to relaunch the whole process, or a at least to get some response from the maintener.

I am not all a MSX expert (neither an OpenMSX one), i just ported the soft because someone was requesting it :) , but if OpenMSX allows to do this kind of keyboard mapping on a PC, then it should work on the Pandora.

Hi, i tried to change the scaler (pressing right button) on my 1gh unit, with SZfinal firmware, when i do that however openmsx closes without an error message.

I have version 0.2.0

The only way to get openmsx to start again after that, is by deleting the settings xml file in the appdata folder that houses the configuration for openmsx.

Extra info, if i use the scaler to make the screen smaller, openmsx doesnt crash, if however i increase the screensize with the scaler, it always crashes, even if i press left to make the screen smaller, and then select the default scaler again, openmsx crashes.

So it seems open msx crashes whenever you try to increase the screen size.

After a few months of playing around I still didn't manage to get the keys mapped to the proper pandora gaming-pad keys. Did anyone else try ?

I'm also interested in this.

I have been able to run the Laserdisc games but it is tedious, you need to mount the CD image from the console (without a browser, you need to remember the name of the image) and the launch it from Basic. maybe somebody know how to make this more "user friendly", al least having browser capabilities to choose the CD image would be great

I just entered in the MSX world, and found this emulator with a console and a lot of options, but this package is very old, while the last version on the official site is very recent.

One of the console commands that can be very useful is "test_all_machines", that is not there in the current PND

Who is the maintainer now ?

Because many people here were wondering how to map game buttons, here is a very clear explanation

thanks to tycho and his/her blog (OpenMSX keybindings on OpenPandora)

You need as a reference the "International Keymatrix" found HERE

This is a copy/paste from tycho blog:

The matrix and OpenMSX work pretty simple: when you want to bind a key press, you press F10 and then run:

bind PAGEDOWN "keymatrixdown 8 1"
which binds the X button to the MSX spacebar.

The code "8 1" is calculated by:

the bit row number (8 in this case for space)
2^columnumber, so 2^0 = 1
So if you want the 'n':

row 4
2^3 = 8
bind PAGEDOWN "keymatrixdown 4 8"

Here are my settings for Metal Gear 1:

bind end "keymatrixup 8 1"
bind end,release "keymatrixdown 8 1"
bind pagedown "keymatrixup 4 8"
bind pagedown,release "keymatrixdown 4 8"
bind pageup "keymatrixdown 6 64"
bind pageup,release "keymatrixup 6 64"
bind home "keymatrixdown 6 128"
bind home,release "keymatrixup 6 128"
So:

X = n = hit/shoot
B = space = use
Y = F2 = inventory
A = F3 = weaponsI want to add a few things:
- After you have added all the key bindings you want, use the command save_settings (from the console) so to save them in the settings file ;)

(the bindings in the settings file can be added even with an editor, but it's better to leave the emulator deal with it, because the order of the commands and binding is important)

- For the game Psycho World i have used this commands from the console (F10):

bind end,release "keymatrixup 8 1"
bind pagedown,release "keymatrixup 6 4"
bind end "keymatrixdown 8 1"
bind pagedown "keymatrixdown 6 4"
save_settings
Game button B becomes SPACE (jump)Game button X becomes ALT (shoot)

- The keymap can change it's behaviour with ROMS and/or BIOS of different regions, so sometimes should be required a special mappings for some games.

I'm also interested in this.

I have been able to run the Laserdisc games but it is tedious, you need to mount the CD image from the console (without a browser, you need to remember the name of the image) and the launch it from Basic. maybe somebody know how to make this more "user friendly", al least having browser capabilities to choose the CD image would be great
Have you tried F12 to open the menu ?

I just made a PND with the last version of openMSX (0.10.1) and I'm testing it, I'll wait for a week if some maintainer wants to substitute the actual PND with this, after that time I'll have to put it in the repo with another ID...

is there a new version? Current one is no longer working, complains about missing libtcl8.4 - current firmware has 8.5....

Back