Open2x Dr4

Have a look in the first post, there is a link there that will help you (hint: compat or the other one has an Open2x-specific prboom).

Orkie said:
Have a look in the first post, there is a link there that will help you (hint: compat or the other one has an Open2x-specific prboom).
ah thanks i found what you were referring to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm another person that is waiting for an official F200 release. I never liked the original menu, and right now I get around that by autostarting Gmenu2X.

What's the official state of Open2X on F200's anyway? Will it not work, or is it just not optimised for it?

YESYESYESYESYES!!!

I've been waiting for this so long...And it is installing as I write! This is excellent news!!!

Do I read you correctly when I read you as saying that the built-in music and videoplayers do stutter a bit? And do I also read the "open2x applications" directory correctly when I see a port of vlc there? If so, why worry about the built-in videoplayer? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bryce Leo said:
The speed increase is totally welcome, and i'm a big fan of the "open" part. Hopefully I'll get my dev environment all setup and things will get to do some hacking on gpsp.
*squint*

OogyBoogy said:
I'm another person that is waiting for an official F200 release. I never liked the original menu, and right now I get around that by autostarting Gmenu2X.

What's the official state of Open2X on F200's anyway? Will it not work, or is it just not optimised for it?
All the kernel stuff is already done and tested, it just needs the installer to be modified to work with F200's unique partitioning scheme, all of which is Orkie's department.

Exophase said:
Hahahhaha, not looking to muscle in on your territory(lol not like I could), but I just want to delve more into emulator programming and figured even if I fail miserably I should at least learn a whole bunch.

Well, I took the plunge yesterday and went with Open2x DR4 and so far so good. I like the load time (compared to FW 3.0) and the status screens at boot are cool. I found no stuttering problems with the built-in movie player but MP3s are way to hard to listen to - fortunately CraigAmp works perfectly. The only program I found any problems with so far is Exult which makes the cursor just zoom to the corners. I would like copies of the built-in programs to put on my SD card for when I boot to my own Gmenu2x... none of the versions of mplayer I load seem to work. Anyway, this is a huge success IMHO and I look forward to seeing what comes next. Great job, all!

Bryce Leo said:
Exophase said:
Hahahhaha, not looking to muscle in on your territory(lol not like I could), but I just want to delve more into emulator programming and figured even if I fail miserably I should at least learn a whole bunch.

If you make any positive changes, ask Exophase if he wants to incorporate them, don't branch it. ;)

PokeParadox said:
If you make any positive changes, ask Exophase if he wants to incorporate them, don't branch it. ;)
Sounds like a plan. I'm not a big fan of branching either. I mostly hope to learn a bunch about emulator programming and maybe something useful will come out of it.

+1 for the F200. Even without the touchscreen (that means, is it possible to recompile the existing F100 code if a full port would be too much), it would be an improvement over firmware 0.0.4 (or something like that ;) ), especially the sound.

Wait, so finally there's something that fixes the awful way too loud sound? Yay. I kind of stopped playing anything that blasted out sound on max volume at the applications' startup (mostly stuff that seems to have been developed on F200s)...

Great news. :)

Very nice work. Not found any problems so far but I'll let you know if I encounter any issues.

Thanks to everyone involved for their hardwork.

Reesy

Thanks a lot Orkie! Just dusted my F100 and installed Open2x. Install was a piece of cake and it works fine, didn't run into any problem. Tried a couple of games.

Also very interested in a F200 version :)

Tried it yesterday on a freshly formatted SD card (fairly new one, haven't been using it a lot at all, so if it has faults I might've not noticed those yet)..
After the 'firmware upgrading' screen, though, I am now greeted with Open2x being stuck at "Mount root fs". Retrying doesn't help, booting without an SD card doesn't help either (same issue)....

Will try again with an older SD card that I used to upgrade to 2.1.0 back in the days whenever I get access to said SD card..

Awesome! It's great to see this finally see the light of day, it a public fashion. Thanks to everyone involved for all your great work! And double thanks to you Orkie.

My First Edition GP2x f100 never felt so young :D

i guess everybody is on card-readers :)
mine is gone so i uploaded the new version via 2.1 firmware ..
updated without any problems
..then i thought on adding the open2x-vlcp and craigAmp + DR4R2_patch
well ..settings - USB Sd then the [USB Enabled (SD) ] screen ..but no storage in my computer
it is only me ?

Back