Release Open Source Brawl Fighter

likwidoxigen said:
Amnesiasoft said:
Yeah. Basically, Nintendo is full of assholes. They are absurdly protective of their IP.
Or they don't want their IP getting shit mis-representation and they want to keep money from their ideas/characters in their pockets.

It's a business. I don't see the point in spiting them for staying in business.
the fact is, nintendo is never planning on creating the game for Pandora, and no one is buying a pandora instead of a DS because of that one game, so nothing bad is happening to them, but they would most likely still object to it.
people talk about open source being communism and all that. well, how about this: open source inspires market competiton. yeah. if some random jerks on the internet can make a good product for free, you know the commercial companies are going to get their ass in gear, and games are no exception.

PoisonedV said:
the fact is, nintendo is never planning on creating the game for Pandora, and no one is buying a pandora instead of a DS because of that one game, so nothing bad is happening to them, but they would most likely still object to it.
people talk about open source being communism and all that. well, how about this: open source inspires market competiton. yeah. if some random jerks on the internet can make a good product for free, you know the commercial companies are going to get their ass in gear, and games are no exception.

Of course they don't plan on making a game for the pandora. But they don't want a reason for someone to buy a pandora instead of a new DS or DSi.

"and no one is buying a pandora instead of a DS because of that one game"

Yeah, so I totally forgot that I was just doing features and put unnecessary things in there, but everything beyond the character stuff would be intended as feature suggestions. :twisted:

And Nintendo is a company, though I can't say I always approve of their business handling.

likwidoxigen said:
PoisonedV said:
Try convincing an accountant of that.
"So, accountant, how many obsessive nintendo fanboys are deciding whether to buy a pandora OR a ds/i?"

PoisonedV said:
likwidoxigen said:
PoisonedV said:
Try convincing an accountant of that.
"So, accountant, how many obsessive nintendo fanboys are deciding whether to buy a pandora OR a ds/i?"

"There's a handheld device with a game that uses our characters and our idea. It must be detracting sales from our handheld. They are making money off of our ideas, i must send this to the lawyers to get them to stop it." --Accountant

"Well lets get this shit stopped quick. It's sure to increase sales and i'll probably get a sweet commendation at the meeting this afternoon." --Lawyer

Seriously man... you gotta stop being so stubborn and really give things a solid thought from a business standpoint.

How would they lose money? Explain that. Don't explain what an accountant would do, because we already know their big business bullshit is stupid and flawed.

PoisonedV said:
How would they lose money? Explain that. Don't explain what an accountant would do, because we already know their big business bullshit is stupid and flawed.

They don't have to explain how. They have to show that they COULD or COULD BE. It's about possibilities not facts. Serously, learn business, you'll be amazed at all the bullshit there is in it. Doesn't make it any less real.

My point was Nintendo is absurdly overprotective of it. Compare that to Microsoft, they have no problems with OpenLancer project, which is an attempt at a fan made sequel to Freelancer. They also questioned Microsoft's stance on a remake of the original Freelancer game. The response was something along the lines of "as long as it needs the original CD, go ahead."

Notice a slight difference in attitude there? That's not to say I'm objecting to having our own original characters, just that Nintendo is ridiculous.

Amnesiasoft said:
My point was Nintendo is absurdly overprotective of it. Compare that to Microsoft, they have no problems with OpenLancer project, which is an attempt at a fan made sequel to Freelancer. They also questioned Microsoft's stance on a remake of the original Freelancer game. The response was something along the lines of "as long as it needs the original CD, go ahead."

Notice a slight difference in attitude there? That's not to say I'm objecting to having our own original characters, just that Nintendo is ridiculous.

Not the best comparison. When people think of these characters they think of Nintendo. They are in 80% of Nintendo's games and and they are actively creating games with them.

None of that applies to Freelancer and MS.

Ok fine. I've yet to find any information about Sega hitting people making Sonic games with a cease & desist. Does that qualify then?

Amnesiasoft said:
Ok fine. I've yet to find any information about Sega hitting people making Sonic games with a cease & desist. Does that qualify then?
Perhaps not games, but they do seem to get worked up over animated gifs.

Here's the deal - You're not allowed to use trademarked characters without permission. You can go ahead and do it anyway, but understand the risk. Maybe nobody will notice, maybe they will. Maybe your use of the characters falls under Fair Use, and maybe you don't have the several hundred thousand dollars it would take to prove that in court. Maybe you get a cease and desist letter, maybe you get a million dollar lawsuit dropped on your head, or maybe everybody enjoys your game and nothing bad ever comes of it. Nobody can predict the future, but if you use someone's trademark without their permission, there is a risk of legal trouble. End of story.

Chip said:
Here's the deal - You're not allowed to use trademarked characters without permission. You can go ahead and do it anyway, but understand the risk. Maybe nobody will notice, maybe they will. Maybe your use of the characters falls under Fair Use, and maybe you don't have the several hundred thousand dollars it would take to prove that in court. Maybe you get a cease and desist letter, maybe you get a million dollar lawsuit dropped on your head, or maybe everybody enjoys your game and nothing bad ever comes of it. Nobody can predict the future, but if you use someone's trademark without their permission, there is a risk of legal trouble. End of story.

Well put.

Chip said:
Amnesiasoft said:
Perhaps not games, but they do seem to get worked up over animated gifs.

But is someone making a game with characters really going to get the Pandora team in legal trouble?
no.

I'm all for re-building Smash from the ground up using Pandora stars (if any emerge)

maybe in a year. Work on an engine til then and talk to devs if they want their charcters in it.

Back