Release Open Source Brawl Fighter

Alex said:
PoisonedV said:
SmashGP has really horrible gameplay that isn't that similar to smash bros OR ultimate jump. that said, a fighter like the smash bros series- zoomed out, panning camera, gameplay with more platforming, and the primary way to win ISN'T to kill the other opponent- would be nice, especially if it had a modular character system. that said, it will never get made D:
Of course it will never get made, you have the base of something similar to what you want and you already took a poop on it. Your expectations seem incredibly high for a game you likely expect to get for free.
I'm develop software, I'm not oblivious as to what it's like. smashgp at its current state would be easier to just start over from scratch for the pandora.

PoisonedV said:
Alex said:
PoisonedV said:
SmashGP has really horrible gameplay that isn't that similar to smash bros OR ultimate jump. that said, a fighter like the smash bros series- zoomed out, panning camera, gameplay with more platforming, and the primary way to win ISN'T to kill the other opponent- would be nice, especially if it had a modular character system. that said, it will never get made D:
Of course it will never get made, you have the base of something similar to what you want and you already took a poop on it. Your expectations seem incredibly high for a game you likely expect to get for free.
I'm develop software, I'm not oblivious as to what it's like. smashgp at its current state would be easier to just start over from scratch for the pandora.
It's excellent that you're develop software, but throwing words like "SmashGP has really horrible gameplay" is disrespectful no matter how you put it. Someone still poured a lot of their heart and time into creating it, so the least you can do is be a little more courteous. :)

Alex said:
"SmashGP has really horrible gameplay" is disrespectful no matter how you put it. Someone still poured a lot of their heart and time into creating it,

Hey alex.... this is the real world. Do you think that a game reviewer is going to say "This is a homebrew game so I can only applaud their efforts despite some minor hiccups in game play." No they're going to be straight up and honest. And if the person who "poured their heart and soul" into it can't take that criticism, perhaps they need to either A. Give up, or B. Ignore it and be happy with what they have done.

SmashGP does have terrible game play. Sorry, but ya know what, that won't stop me from playing it occasionally because I haven't found anything else and certainly haven't done one on my own. I abhor game coding, so i'm glad for what they've done, but i'm going to be honest about it as well.

likwidoxigen said:
Alex said:
"SmashGP has really horrible gameplay" is disrespectful no matter how you put it. Someone still poured a lot of their heart and time into creating it,

Hey alex.... this is the real world. Do you think that a game reviewer is going to say "This is a homebrew game so I can only applaud their efforts despite some minor hiccups in game play."
Perhaps you mean a commercial games reviewer. But we're talking about a freeware title done in someone's spare time here. I can see you ragging on something if you've payed money for it, and it has been an unsatisfying product, but this is something completely different.

Whatever though, no reason to debate this.

Why are we trying to copy existing games when we should be looking at a game built from the ground up?

I am not a game developer but if we all club together we can create everything from scratch.

The structure of the game could be a tournament of mixed martial arts for simply cold hard cash.

Please post your ideas!

why rewrite code if you don't need to? (although, in this case we do need to)

I have been re-searching your device since the article in Games TM, with a dedicated game built from the ground up you will get the next level of exposure you need.

Alex said:
PoisonedV said:
It's excellent that you're develop software,
oh god I just realized that. i've been so horrible and accidentally replacing words all the time.

Alex, are you going to code for the pandora? On your homepage I only see info about the gp2x and wiz. I hope it's just because you don't have one yet. Sqdef looks like a great game and i would love to have it on the pandora.

Hmm Hmm!

I had been seeking something like this, and I registered for the forum at the right time, it seems~!

I have coding experience, namely C/C++ and actionscript, though the latter is irrelevant. And with my experience, I do have times where I don't code for a period because I'm too far stuck in my own thoughts to actually move on anything, but to have other input/direction would allow the rest of my mental processes to work. I would like to know any suggestions about the languages, libraries and such before-hand, of course, so the next month or so can be used for me to familiarize myself with them.

And, really, I have tried porting SmashGP to work on DS using libnds, and then tried to cannibalize parts of it, and it really... was a mess. very poorly documented, and it didn't help too much that... I don't know french. variables and all were coded using french vocabulary.

I recommend starting from scratch.

PoisonedV said:
Alex said:
PoisonedV said:
It's excellent that you're develop software,
oh god I just realized that. i've been so horrible and accidentally replacing words all the time.
I noticed that too, but I figured you'd eventually see. It appears you are reverse-learning the english language

Yus, that demo came out just in the last few days, I believe.
Haven't had a chance to play it just yet, since all the space on my N-card is occupied right now.

So, As far as specifics, I will take the lead in setting up guidelines, basic ones at that.

Oct 8 '08
Features:
*I recommend keeping most if not all of the mechanics introduced in brawl that were not in direct control of the user, such as Lucario's Aura ability mods that were based on his current damage ( As well as his Score Position in the battle, FYI ). Of course, adjustments will be needed for characters not in the roster that would leave gaps.

Characters(And Adjustments):
Mario
Luigi
Link
Samus
Pikachu
Ness
Capt Falcon
Donkey Kong
JigglyPuff
Yoshi
Fox
Kirby

^ As you can see, the SSB Veterans are all still there ^

For Non-vet characters, that either haven't been in yet or are in brawl or were in Melee, adjustments should be made to match those that were in both Melee and Brawl.

Non-Vet Characters:
Marth < Would Retain the new Dancing Blade and the new Shieldbreaker.
Roy < Has a Dancing Blade that works more like the Melee One, just not as strict on it's timing
Ike < ... Not sure what to do with him yet
Mewtwo < He should be fine as he is for the moment.
Falco < Slight Adjustments to some of his timings to make him more like the Melee Version
Kirby < Some Items should be allowed to give him powers from the actual kirby games.
^ The direction should be apparent for now ^

New Character Suggestions:
... It should be reasonable. Not just totally 'cool' characters, as well as not totally 'funny' characters. a bit of both is perfect.
And also should most likely have made an original appearance on a nintendo console.

Example: If you are going to go for a Final Fantasy Character, Cloud Strife is probably Pushing it, though I think Cloud is a pretty damn deep character, I'd more recommend Locke or Terra in his place, since they were in FFVI, which was on the SNES.

Conversely, characters that have a renovation somewhere down the line that may have ended up on another console are possible.

Anime and Manga Characters... though I'd hate to say it like this ... should be more or less excluded. Believe me, I am an Otaku, I know for a fact that this will bring much pain and torment to Players. The Naruto and Bleach fans would have it out in spades. (First-hand account from a witness)

Some Starter Recommendations would be:
Guy (Fire Emblem GBA, I think it's 6 or 7, whichever has Eliwood, Lyn, and Hector) < I'd suggest for him, he'd have quick glancing attacks like Metaknight, but would be more like Roy in terms of agility.

^ Thats all I decided for ^

EDIT: As a note, these should be the stock settings and characters that would be included to demonstrate the stock features. since it's open source, people can do what they want, but it's a push in a direction I think.

Why would Nintendo sue a homebrew project? The programmers probably wouldn't be making any money off of it.

I don't see them suing the Zelda Classic devs.

If they were planning to make one is a reason, they often send Cease and Desist letters to people doing project like this (Nintendo does own the characters)

Yeah. Basically, Nintendo is full of assholes. They are absurdly protective of their IP.

Besides... it would be better to have characters NOT related directly to Nintendo, just because... well, obviously, it's been done. Wouldn't you like to see a fight to the death between Pitfall Harry and Faustus?

Amnesiasoft said:
Yeah. Basically, Nintendo is full of assholes. They are absurdly protective of their IP.
Or they don't want their IP getting shit mis-representation and they want to keep money from their ideas/characters in their pockets.

It's a business. I don't see the point in spiting them for staying in business.

Back