Release Open Source Brawl Fighter

iJeff

Still Fresh
An Open Source Brawl Fighter game would be a great idea for the Pandora platform, as well as other Linux gaming handheld devices. Based on the Super Smash Bros. series with emphasis on multiplayer gameplay, it would definitely be a killer app.

After some Googling, I've come across a project similar to my idea named SmashGP (http://smashgp.psparchive.de/), but is 2d-based rather than the 3d-based game I have in mind that would showcase the Pandora's capabilities.

The game would have to include varied characters with specific advantages and disadvantages as towards survivability, damage dealt, and other varying classifications. Characters could be added in through custom data files including the 3d model and skins, as well as character behaviour details and attributes. "Smashes", special abilities, side-steps, "spikes", and other Super Smash Bros. (original, Melee, and Brawl) features.

The easiest remake would probably be best comparable to the original N64 Super Smash Bros.

SmashGP already appeared on the gp2x, but sort of vanished into existence before fully completing its features (such as 2 player) if I am not mistaken.

psymastr said:
SmashGP already appeared on the gp2x, but sort of vanished into existence before fully completing its features (such as 2 player) if I am not mistaken.

I was thinking of something more akin to Super Smash Bros. with a 3d environment rather than game sprites. Other than that, SmashGP is more of a Jump Super Stars clone attempt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_Super_Stars).

likwidoxigen said:
iJeff said:
I was thinking of something more akin to Super Smash Bros.

That sounds pretty killer jeff! Be sure to keep us updated with how the project goes for you!

Ah, sorry for not specifying. I was suggesting, rather than introducing a project. I, myself, cannot code this.

That's a pretty good idea, actually. Shouldn't be impossible to port either.

I'm really loving this idea though. I haven't coded much (besides basic html, java, php), and nothing for OpenGL ES. When tutorials/SDKs are out, I'll read up and make a thread.

PoisonedV said:
does he even know how to code?
Who knows, but if he's not willing to put in the time to learn and do it how committed can he be to the idea? If he's not committed to his own idea why would/should others commit to it, etc.
This is open source, the joys of being able to do it yourself (or atleast try to) are ours for the taking.

i was going to attempt this

i didnt like smashgp

and i think n64 smash bros could have been alot better,

i was planning a 2d sprite based game, theres no need for 3d, none at all
but i was going a different way, and having much much more characters

i was just about to start development on the psp, so i could port it once i get the pandora

iJeff said:
psymastr said:

I was thinking of something more akin to Super Smash Bros. with a 3d environment rather than game sprites. Other than that, SmashGP is more of a Jump Super Stars clone attempt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_Super_Stars).

You can't say that two games are incomparable just because one uses Polygons and one uses sprites. The reverse is true that you can't compare two games to each other just because they happen to use sprites. I have all copies of Super Smash Bros., Jump Super AND Ultimate Stars, and SmashGP, and I can tell you that SmashGP is nothing like Jump, and everything like Smash Bros. I mean, it's called SmashGP. It is a Super Smash clone, and you should expect it to play like one. If you want to compare a game to Jump, try looking at that one PSP Homebrew Jump clone.

Granted, there are many bugs that could be fixed in SmashGP, and if some semblence (sp?) of gravity actually existed in the game it would be much better.

Now I'm not against a new Smash Bros. clone being attempted, but don't make false assumptions about games just because you haven't played it.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
iJeff said:
psymastr said:

You can't say that two games are incomparable just because one uses Polygons and one uses sprites. The reverse is true that you can't compare two games to each other just because they happen to use sprites. I have all copies of Super Smash Bros., Jump Super AND Ultimate Stars, and SmashGP, and I can tell you that SmashGP is nothing like Jump, and everything like Smash Bros. I mean, it's called SmashGP. It is a Super Smash clone, and you should expect it to play like one. If you want to compare a game to Jump, try looking at that one PSP Homebrew Jump clone.

Granted, there are many bugs that could be fixed in SmashGP, and if some semblence (sp?) of gravity actually existed in the game it would be much better.

Now I'm not against a new Smash Bros. clone being attempted, but don't make false assumptions about games just because you haven't played it.

-God Ginrai

Alright, sorry then. I had only watched videos of it and the style of gameplay between SmashGP and Jump seemed too similar, to me.

I still believe something 3d would trump a sprite version. The Pandora is more than capable of a native Super Smash Bros. Also, multiplayer multi-Pandora gameplay is a must! In response to those interested: that's great... I can't wait to see what you guys churn out if it could take off. :D

lol.

I'm hoping for a super smash bros (yes, that exactly) so I can play against people AND a cpu,
a game with characters I already know, who have their actual abilities, who can actually be ridiculously overpowered.
In different ways of course, I wouldn't want this games "WiFi/Online" to become like Metroid Prime Hunters, unless like MPH, I'm one of the preditors.

SmashGP has really horrible gameplay that isn't that similar to smash bros OR ultimate jump. that said, a fighter like the smash bros series- zoomed out, panning camera, gameplay with more platforming, and the primary way to win ISN'T to kill the other opponent- would be nice, especially if it had a modular character system. that said, it will never get made D:

PoisonedV said:
SmashGP has really horrible gameplay that isn't that similar to smash bros OR ultimate jump. that said, a fighter like the smash bros series- zoomed out, panning camera, gameplay with more platforming, and the primary way to win ISN'T to kill the other opponent- would be nice, especially if it had a modular character system. that said, it will never get made D:
Of course it will never get made, you have the base of something similar to what you want and you already took a poop on it. Your expectations seem incredibly high for a game you likely expect to get for free.

I doubt it won't get made. There are millions of smashbros fans. One of the will make it

Back