Open Letter To Craig

C

codeninja

Craig,

I know you're busy at the moment for all the preparation for shipments. But, I'd like to request something from you. After reading responds from 500 Korean customers who preordered, it seems they have quite a few lemons with "hardware problems" on joysticks and LCDs (2 brightness on left and right sides which GPH admitted that it's a hardware problem on their official web) Could you check the machines and sort them out before sending to us, please? I think, that will save us lot of hassle of returning/exchanging units. Even if that means you don't have enough units to send to all of us right now, at least, those who receive GP2x will be happy customers unlike those Korean customers. Frankly, I don't mind waiting as long as the unit is in good shape.

Thank you

ah the joys of bleeding edge technology and pre release ordering :), think i'll wait til the bugs are ironed out oh wait i did :lol:

/start smug mode
/back to fmsx

Craig,

I know you're busy at the moment for all the preparation for shipments.  But, I'd like to request something from you.  After reading responds from 500 Korean customers who preordered, it seems they have quite a few lemons with "hardware problems" on joysticks and LCDs (2 brightness on left and right sides which GPH admitted that it's a  hardware problem on their official web)  Could you check the machines and sort them out before sending to us, please?  I think, that will save us lot of hassle of returning/exchanging units.  Even if that means you don't have enough units to send to all of us right now, at least, those who receive GP2x will be happy customers unlike those Korean customers.  Frankly, I don't mind waiting as long as the unit is in good shape.

Thank you

Surely this is a minimal problem with a very small amount of devices? I mean, there is no way that problems like this could have be missed during testing, no?

And I'm positive Craig wouldn't distribute the units until he was satisfied with the quality of them. Afterall the last thing Craig needs is everything being returned, this would be a huge job. I can't believe the units are not fit for purpose at this point. Hope I'm wrong! :(

As for the backlight, Craig did point out that the firmware is beta, so hopefully this could be solved with an update. As for the joystick, well.....that couldn't. Got to be in the minority this.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I'm positive Craig wouldn't distribute the units until he was satisfied with the quality of them. Afterall the last thing Craig needs is everything being returned, this would be a huge job. I can't believe the units are not fit for purpose at this point. Hope I'm wrong! :(

I'm not implying Craig is a bad person, I think the contrary, and that's why I wrote this letter. I believe he is on our side, consumers, and I was making a suggestion to save us (consumers and GBAX) future trouble.

I can deal with firmware issues fine, but I was talking about hardware issues.

And I'm positive Craig wouldn't distribute the units until he was satisfied with the quality of them. Afterall the last thing Craig needs is everything being returned, this would be a huge job. I can't believe the units are not fit for purpose at this point. Hope I'm wrong!  :(

I'm not implying Craig is a bad person, I think the contrary, and that's why I wrote this letter. I believe he is on our side, consumers, and I was making a suggestion to save us (consumers and GBAX) future trouble.

I can deal with firmware issues fine, but I was talking about hardware issues.

all i'm saying is that the backlight issue may have something to do with the firmware. I in no way implied that you were thinking that Craig is a bad person. All I am saying is that I doubt he will send out ify units. I'm sorry if you thought that I was implied that.

Most problems mentioned on the Korean boards are software related.

The firmware seems to be quite buggy (as if we didn't expect this a bit...), but don't worry, that's fixable :)

Yeah, once the new updated firmware comes out, a lot of you guys' problems will be fixed.

i just came to think of the first firmware for the gp32, oh man that sure sucked...
what was that program, freeloader? and that built-in mp3 player, man what a joke. this firmware looks 2000% better imo.
sorry for going off-topic :p

Craig,

I know you're busy at the moment for all the preparation for shipments.  But, I'd like to request something from you.  After reading responds from 500 Korean customers who preordered, it seems they have quite a few lemons with "hardware problems" on joysticks and LCDs (2 brightness on left and right sides which GPH admitted that it's a  hardware problem on their official web)  Could you check the machines and sort them out before sending to us, please?  I think, that will save us lot of hassle of returning/exchanging units.  Even if that means you don't have enough units to send to all of us right now, at least, those who receive GP2x will be happy customers unlike those Korean customers.  Frankly, I don't mind waiting as long as the unit is in good shape.

Thank you

Surely this is a minimal problem with a very small amount of devices? I mean, there is no way that problems like this could have be missed during testing, no?

As for the backlight, Craig did point out that the firmware is beta, so hopefully this could be solved with an update. As for the joystick, well.....that couldn't. Got to be in the minority this.

Un-even lighting on the LCD and joysticks not working don't seem to be firmware related. How is firmware going to effect a backlight?

These things really shouldn't be sold in this condition firmware or not. When sites like engaget, Joystiq etc get them they will blast the GP2X for being a buggy pile of crap.

Then you have places like Lik-Sang who dropped the GP32 BLU+ for a few programs that didn't work. When the returns for the GP2X stat rolling in they will probably stop selling the GP2X as well. They should delay this launch until they get the hardware and software bugs out.

And you wonder why the firmware is buggy? It's because when they had to delay the release to fix the USB issue, people got so impatient with cancelling orders, etc that GPH rushed the firmware out without testing other issues which were created when the fix was made.

If customers were more patient, they would have taken an extra week or two to make sure everything was correct.

So expect to wait a couple more weeks now to get an updated firmware...

btw, these "hardware issues" are a small minority, just like with the GP32, PSP, etc.

They joystick issue is firmware and is already known about, it will be fixed, I've not seen any LCD problems, but if there are any I will spot it early on.

The reason they have been relased with the beta firmware is because evyerone started to complain, updates will be ready as soon as possible, the next version should have a much lower clock speed for example, making the battery life far far longer.

They joystick issue is firmware and is already known about, it will be fixed, I've not seen any LCD problems, but if there are any I will spot it early on.

The reason they have been relased with the beta firmware is because evyerone started to complain, updates will be ready as soon as possible, the next version should have a much lower clock speed for example, making the battery life far far longer.

Thank you, Craig, for replying. I feel safer with you and that was the reason why I chose GBAX over Gp32z for my preorder (not that GP32z is unreliable, just my gut feelings).

Back