Open Handhelds Comparison Sheet

BAFelton

Website
www.open-consoles.com
149141Capture01.jpg

Hi there,

we worked on a sheet with comparison between the open handhelds of the moment.

You can take a look here : http://tinyurl.com/open-source-handhelds

We'll update it when a new attractive console will come.

In the comments, you'll find the best emulator for each console, maybe there are mistakes in this sheet, so don't hesitate to let us know :)

Interesting, I didn't realize how many emulators Android is lacking. Also, Pandora doesn't really have a Dreamcast emu, at least not yet. All in all it's a good idea though, great work BAFelton!

How about adding the GP32 and the GP2X, or even the Zodiac and Gizmondo? Granted the last two weren't really "open" but did have big homebrew scenes in their time. Or are you only going for more recent handhelds?

That info sheet is pretty good, although it states that the Yinlips doesn't have a D-Pad. From photos, it looks like it does (albeit not a traditional cross style design). Is that what you mean or is that an error?

Actually, on second thought it probably isn't a good idea to include the Zodiac and Giz. If you did you'd have to also include handhelds like the PSP and NDS, and those are definately not open. Maybe the JXD S7100 should be there since the Yinlips is included.

Wiz does support java (PhoneME) and external gamepads with the adapter..

And Flash games if we want to add that..

Hey BaFelton, I have a couple suggestions. The whole Dingoo/Gemei family is confusing but there's some things that should be pointed out. The A380/A320E are the same machines, just rebranded, so maybe those should be grouped together. The Dingoo A330 originally had a PSP form factor, then they took the Gemei A330 and rebranded it as the Dingoo A330 so maybe those two should be grouped as well.

Also, maybe the GP2X F100 and F200 should be separate? Mainly because they looked a bit different and people should know that if they're researching these handhelds imo.

I'm not sure about this one but how about adding the Ritmix RZX-50? It's not available outside of Russia yet but it is open and runs Dingux.

Orion4874 said:
Hey BaFelton, I have a couple suggestions. The whole Dingoo/Gemei family is confusing but there's some things that should be pointed out. The A380/A320E are the same machines, just rebranded, so maybe those should be grouped together. The Dingoo A330 originally had a PSP form factor, then they took the Gemei A330 and rebranded it as the Dingoo A330 so maybe those two should be grouped as well.

It's not really true, gemei a330 and dingoo a330 with the same form factor are same device (arm cpu).
Dingoo a330 (psp form factor) and dingoo a320 are almost same device too (and mips cpu).
About dingoo a320e and dingoo a380 the emulators are differents, pretty hard to explain on the document that one of these can run mame, scummvm and atari 2600... and not the other one. Btw we don't know if these handhelds are the same, hardware have somes differences, maybe dingoo tech broke comptatibility. For the moment, we can't add new emulators for try the a380 one to the a320e (no way to acces the .dge files)

Last edited by a moderator:
Really nice work. But is the android devices' battery life really that low? Seems too low to consider a purchase, since I want them for carrying around.

Orion4874 said:
I'm not sure about this one but how about adding the Ritmix RZX-50? It's not available outside of Russia yet but it is open and runs Dingux.

I'll add it as soon as we have enough infos about it.

hyperion64 said:
Really nice work. But is the android devices' battery life really that low? Seems too low to consider a purchase, since I want them for carrying around.

Thanks, battery's life is the weak point if you enable wifi and use heavy emus like n64oid.

What about adding to this one or making a new chart for home consoles like the JXD M1000, Gamebox, Mini Game Console+, VBOX, etc

Caanoo now also can emulate games and Java applications (J2ME) by PhoneMe

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/63007-phoneme-sdl-for-caanoo/

Hi there,

I made an update for the sheet, feel free to tell me if something's wrong ;)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkPJuV-UtMLRdGNRZlRjTGNUVGhqRTNZT1dkaEN1dVE#gid=0

Great news !

Here's the new version : http://www.open-consoles-search.com/

With this you can choose which platform you want to emulate, what specs ect...

There is a lot of work to be done such as a rating system and a comment system.

If you have some missing infos, just tell us here
cheesy.gif

Back