Op Linux - Quickview (Type Of) Possible?

kingoddball

HI There!

Just a quick thought.
Is it possible to make a quickview system (osx)?
For those who do not know what it is..
You navigate to a file, click it (dont open it) and slap the spacebar button and a little pop up shows up and you can preview the files to save time opening it. Works for everything: Music, movies, text, images, html. Its EXCELLENT!

I would not want something that does movies or anything, just simple like Images and Txt.
Is it possible?

this is my favorite new feature from all the recent upgrades, snow leopard + leopard + tiger
its tools everything

Dolphin in KDE 4 has something like this, or you could just collect the proper programs into the file manager, so of course it's possible.
The question is, "Who wants to do this?" and "Does xfce already have this?" and "How is this different from just opening the file?"

The difference from opening a file is that its a hell of a lot quicker than opening the main program, then that program opening the file.
Easier on the ram, and when I (i'm sure most people are the same) open an image, they're just checking, or glancing and to me its the same with txt files.. Maybe I'm just after a code, or address or something, so I just slap spacebar and use quickview.

I have no seen it in KDE4, maybe I have no activated it in a setting somewhere?

As soon as i click an icon it opens it. I dont like 1 click to open.

I'm sure it would be a lot of work, and I'm also sure that developers will be much more excited and busy with other thigs..

Here's what it looks like in KDE4:

20391415.png

You can also get a bigger preview in Dolphin's sidebar, but I don't use Dolphin

Alec  said:

20391415.png

I wrote that :) (The initial version of the "previews in popups", anyway)

Last edited by a moderator:
Alec  said:
GeneralZod said:
Alec  said:

20391415.png

I wrote that :) (The initial version of the "previews in popups", anyway)

That's awesome! :D
Yeah, that's one of the more useful features of the Dolphin kpart actually. Too bad that it doesn't have anti aliased text XD (but it's more than OK as it is)

I'll really like to see how the KDE netbook interface (or whatever it's called) will work on the Pandora....

On OSX, it's very efficient to view PDFs, docs, images, and movies in the quickview window. You don't have to load up the dedicated app to preview it and it's like lightning. Basically it's like a pop-up preview where you can resize the window so the contents always fit to the scale desired and let it float beside the finder as you scroll through your files. I don't even use the regular apps if I'm just going to do a quick look or read of the file, except for watching movies.

darien said:
On OSX, it's very efficient to view PDFs, docs, images, and movies in the quickview window. You don't have to load up the dedicated app to preview it and it's like lightning. Basically it's like a pop-up preview where you can resize the window so the contents always fit to the scale desired and let it float beside the finder as you scroll through your files. I don't even use the regular apps if I'm just going to do a quick look or read of the file, except for watching movies.
That's possible in KDE too, by detaching the preview sidebar (yes, there's a sidebar too) and resizing it to whatever size you want.

E.g. like this: http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/4199/kdepreview.png
(I'm using GNOME atm so the theme looks fugly but you get the idea)

Well seeing how linux has a form of this, it will probably not be very hard to get it running with XFCE over time.
I would like a KDE port for Pandora. Would be excellent! Maybe a KDE - Lite or something.

Back