Release Oolite: Legible font project

^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Regarding the tutorial, I played through it and the only thing I'd note is perhaps the references to the keys which refer to the keyboard keys rather than the Pandora controls. But the keyboard keys are all still valid, and I switched from using those to the Pandora buttons fairly easily, so perhaps it's not a bad way to learn.
That's what I had in mind.. that the key references could be fixed to refer to the defaults set up on the Pandora..
ok, I'll take a look later. having a pandora tutorial sounds good in fact

Oh, and I should have mentioned (but forgot) in the version I'm testing the ANA didn't have planet names in orange when I selected it. Hopefully you just didn't put that hack into that version yet.

On lining up to dock, the flickering textures are more obvious:

7O7FNqZ.gif
I notice that when the gaps appear, you there other 'extra bits' are being drawn, little wispy light thin polygon strips. I wonder if these extra bits of geometry are the missing triangles? Not quite sure why it'd be happening, I 'd assume that the stuff being drawn is static (not being updated every frame) and instead just the transform matrix would be changing. Often things that change between frames like the screenshot are down to GL state changes, but I can't quite thing of what would cause this issue (it looks a little like Z-Fighting, but not quite)...

I 'd assume that the stuff being drawn is static (not being updated every frame) and instead just the transform matrix would be changing. Often things that change between frames like the screenshot are down to GL state changes, but I can't quite thing of what would cause this issue (it looks a little like Z-Fighting, but not quite)...
Something that may have some bearing, that you wouldn't be aware of if you haven't tried docking with the above object, (a Rock Hermit) is that it is rotating.. the view above is looking along the axis of rotation. Don't know if that has any bearing on your comment or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully it can be tracked down, if not, at some point it might be worth doing a PVRTrace of it when it is going wrong, so that can be examined. Having a right and wrong frame in the PVRTrace will probably identify the issue rather quickly.

Hopefully it can be tracked down, if not, at some point it might be worth doing a PVRTrace of it when it is going wrong, so that can be examined. Having a right and wrong frame in the PVRTrace will probably identify the issue rather quickly.
Yeah, but a savegame will be needed for that. I'm not able to go there (du to my currently very poor Oolite skills).

Sorry for the delay in coming back to this - I've been pretty busy the past few days.

I have a save file docked in the rock hermit, so it's simply a matter to launching, looking backwards and spinning around a bit to cause the glitch (it doesn't seem to occur when you're on the same rotational axis as the docking port).

However, I finally got round to checking what version of the SGX driver I have, using Ekianjo's neat model checker. Seems I switched back to the default at some point, known to have problems with AvP on GHz units. Reinstalling the 4.03.00.02 driver as suggested by Notaz for the AvP problem has fixed the Rock Hermit glitch. I'll have to see if I can trigger any other glitches now that I've installed the right driver.

So for now, I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with Oolite, it's all my own fault for not keeping an eye on driver versions. You can ignore all my previous graphical glitch reports until I can reproduce any of them.

Sorry for the delay in coming back to this - I've been pretty busy the past few days.

I have a save file docked in the rock hermit, so it's simply a matter to launching, looking backwards and spinning around a bit to cause the glitch (it doesn't seem to occur when you're on the same rotational axis as the docking port).

However, I finally got round to checking what version of the SGX driver I have, using Ekianjo's neat model checker. Seems I switched back to the default at some point, known to have problems with AvP on GHz units. Reinstalling the 4.03.00.02 driver as suggested by Notaz for the AvP problem has fixed the Rock Hermit glitch. I'll have to see if I can trigger any other glitches now that I've installed the right driver.

So for now, I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with Oolite, it's all my own fault for not keeping an eye on driver versions. You can ignore all my previous graphical glitch reports until I can reproduce any of them.
So, no bug ? :) That's a good news :D

Nearly, I've still observed the trails of dots along the lines of the lights when you view the rock hermit from the side. Pretty difficult to take a screenshot of, since although it looks like it's lit up like the blackpool lights, there only seems to actually be one or two dots present in each frame.

Actually, it can be quite useful as it clearly indicates a rock hermit so you don't accidentally try to mine it, and helps you find the entrance, but it does look like a bug, perhaps related to the fact the lights aren't animated as on the PC version.

I'll PM you a save file so you can see it for yourself. Beware though, I'm packing narcotics in that save, so you'll get interest from the law as well as offenders, and it's pretty high traffic around a rock hermit anyway, so you may need to try launching a few times before you get a clear radar, depends. Once you do get safe passage, speed up and then pull up after launching. Press 2 to see the rear view. You should still see the rock hermit, provided you pulled up straight after launching (and speeding up), and start to see the trails, more so as you fly further from it.

I really need to figure out how to play this game.
Oh, I've been having so much fun just from the training lessons alone!  This game is like flying the real spacecraft :)
There are training lessons?  All I have managed to do is buy stuff, pick up passengers, go to other systems, blow up asteroids and try to blow up the ships that were attacking one that was asking for help.  I couldn't figure out how to purchase more fuel, see if I could make profit on my cargo in the systems I ended up in, sell cargo, or destroy attacking ships.  

I think I have only destroyed one or two ships that were not my own at this point, and I don't have much time to invest in studying for this game at present.  Is there anything out there that will give me a quick intro in less than an hour?

I spent my first few dozen hyperspace jumps avoiding other craft, as I knew with the default equipment there wasn't much I could do against a decently prepared pirate.  Not heading directly towards the planet, but going off to one side initially then swinging back in towards the planet/space station means you'll meet a lot less traffic, and can concentrate on cargo.

I'd also recommend installing the Market Observer plugin even from the start if you're interested in learning to trade (which is after all the best way to progress in Elite-type games).  It's available in the add-ons menu in this new version of the game, and enables you to see at a glance whether a particular commodity is competitively priced, and keeps a record of the price you paid, so you can avoid accidentally making a loss easily.

Back in the day I used pages and pages of paper to keep a record of prices, and even then I was limited to a small area of one galaxy.  You might view this plugin as cheating, but having done it the long way round in the past, I really don't think you're missing anything.

I really need to figure out how to play this game.
Oh, I've been having so much fun just from the training lessons alone!  This game is like flying the real spacecraft :)
There are training lessons? ...  Is there anything out there that will give me a quick intro in less than an hour?
To access the training lessons, just start a new Commander, and you'll see it in the starting options.. once you've completed the course, you could return to your current Commander, if you wish.  That would probably be the fastest intro available.  And if you have questions afterwards, don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd also recommend installing the Market Observer plugin even from the start if you're interested in learning to trade (which is after all the best way to progress in Elite-type games). It's available in the add-ons menu in this new version of the game, and enables you to see at a glance whether a particular commodity is competitively priced, and keeps a record of the price you paid, so you can avoid accidentally making a loss easily.
I will have to take another look.  I just updated yesterday, so I should have the add-ons menu, correct?  I remember a few being mention in the article that someone wrote around here.  Should I look at those suggestions and install some of those as well?

To access the training lessons, just start a new Commander, and you'll see it in the starting options.. once you've completed the course, you could return to your current Commander, if you wish. That would probably be the fastest intro available. And if you have questions afterwards, don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks, I will give that a shot.  I hesistate to ask for help because it is a game and I shouldn't waste the time of others when they could be playing the game instead of helping me, especially since I myself don't have the time required to read up on everything.

I hesistate to ask for help because it is a game and I shouldn't waste the time of others when they could be playing the game instead of helping me, especially since I myself don't have the time required to read up on everything.
Nonsense.. we know that, whilst not difficult, Oolite is rather more complex and involved than your average game, and can take some time to fully get the hang of. You are more than welcome to pop on over to the Oolite BB at any time to ask questions.. we love answering questions about our favourite game, even ones that have been asked a thousand times before.. and no flaming, I promise. We aren't called "The friendliest board this side of Riedquat" for nothing!

And a new "Getting Started" guide to Oolite is online now. See below for details.

Oolite 1.80 has now been officially released!

Announcing Oolite v1.80

A full list of changes and new features can be found at the above link.

To go along with the new release, the official website has has an upgrade as well. Among other things it has a detailed "getting started" guide, and a full, constantly updating listing of all available OXZs.

www.oolite.space

Last edited:
Back