Release Oolite: Legible font project

Looking forward to this.  I am still trying to learn the game, and this will help me out a lot.

Looking forward to this.  I am still trying to learn the game, and this will help me out a lot.
Don't forget.. any time you have questions or need help, assistance is always just a click away.. 

(oh, and be sure to read the documentation.. there are lots of features you may not know about) ;)

@ milinks:  That last screenshot looks great!  Far more readable.. good job, ptitSeb!

Last edited by a moderator:
While working on glshim, I fixed some bugs on the texture handling, and also on the automatic texture size reduction. I have build a new pnd with the update lib. I didn't found visual difference (but graphisms should be "crispier" now), so may be someone that have spend a few hour playing the game can try and see if it's better or not...

Don't forget.. any time you have questions or need help, assistance is always just a click away.. 

(oh, and be sure to read the documentation.. there are lots of features you may not know about) ;)
Not reading and reading have both been problems for me.  I originally got rid of the PND because I couldn't figure out more than basic stuff.  Eventually, I went a got it again and made some progress by looking at the list in the repo and some other stuff.  I spent far more time than I had free trying to make sense of stuff.  I think it was some of the stuff on the "official" wiki as I see it mentioned in threads at your link.  I still REALLY suck.

Ok, version is on the repo (Build 09 is the exact same)
I kept checking the repo this morning waiting for this and it seems you posted it about 30 minutes after I gave up.

@ptitseb Downloading now. If this has any effect on the missing textures glitch (or even worse the dramatically exaggerated texture bug) I should be able to see it pretty quickly from my save point, heading into an anarchy system as I am.

Edit: Seen some missing texture glitches already, but in general so far it's quite impressively better.

@ptitseb Downloading now. If this has any effect on the missing textures glitch (or even worse the dramatically exaggerated texture bug) I should be able to see it pretty quickly from my save point, heading into an anarchy system as I am.

Edit: Seen some missing texture glitches already, but in general so far it's quite impressively better.
@Levi: you are trying the version that is not on the repo (build 09) but on the link above (build 10) right?

Well, it might be worth waiting until I've had a little more time to test you haven't introduced any new bugs, and it'd be nice if someone else could confirm it's not broken first.

Okay, seen a fair few glitches now, including coming across a rock hermit with the entrance side on and seeing all the lines glitching through the surface of the rock. On entering it, half the side panel were see-through most of the time. I think this is the first time I've come across a rock hermit since this new source version though, so I dunno if that's better or worse, but it does mean there's still a few glitches. Based on other observations though, I'd say it's better or at least no worse.

Actually, I wonder if it's these animated parts here at 1m13s causing grief - shader effects? :

https://www.youtube.com/embed/IO8UgVzfCfk?feature=oembed

Okay, I've got some images of the rock hermit glitches. On approaching the rock hermit from the side, you see these kind of dots in flickering lines. They seem to correspond to the space-lane type animations:

2f9BNkY.png

Closing up, you can see whole textures flicking in and out, a little like I've simulated in this animated gif:

D61fWqJ.gif

On lining up to dock, the flickering textures are more obvious:

7O7FNqZ.gif

Also note the glitched vertices towards the center of the image from the lower right, that coincide with textures not appearing.

Thirdly, it's worth noting that even when I pause the game, these textures keep flickering.  Previously when I've tried to capture glitches, pausing the game has paused the glitch (except hiding the HUD generally fixes the glitch temporarily).

Not reading and reading have both been problems for me.  I originally got rid of the PND because I couldn't figure out more than basic stuff.  Eventually, I went a got it again and made some progress by looking at the list in the repo and some other stuff.  I spent far more time than I had free trying to make sense of stuff.  I think it was some of the stuff on the "official" wiki as I see it mentioned in threads at your link.  I still REALLY suck
The most recent PNDs (builds 8, 9 and 10) have been based on the almost-ready-to-be-released 1.80 version, which means there is now a built-in tutorial available (it's listed under the "Start New Commander" option of the Main Menu)  That may help, depending on just what's causing you difficulties.

If it's something more about specifics of gameplay, tactics, objectives, or details you're not clear on, feel free to ask anything you like.. either here (I'd suggest perhaps in the other Oolite thread, rather than taking this one too far off-topic) or over at the Oolite BB at the above-mentioned link.  I'll do my best to help as much as I can.

@ ptitSeb:  It occurs to me that possibly some parts of the Tutorial might benefit from re-writing to fit the specifics of changes you've had to make to the controls for the Pandora..

So far as I can see, the relevant files are mostly oolite.app/Resources/Config/missiontext.plist and oolite.app/Resources/Scripts/oolite-tutorial.js

Missing triangles? That's odd: why here and not elsewhere. This one will be hard to fix.
Yep, in that respect it's the same as the missing textures bug I posted about in the other thread, concerning ships. The difference though is that these keep flickering even when you pause (the others seem to be dependent on distance to a degree, so freeze when you stop the motion). So perhaps it's a different bug, or perhaps it's a different aspect of the same one.

Thinking about it, I should have saved my save file there, cos you can save inside a rock hermit, and that'd be the easiest way to reproduce this. Not that I'm demanding this be fixed - it's still a very pretty game even with this bug, and it doesn't spoil the gameplay at all. Just thought that while you were in a glshim fixing mood, you might like to take a look at this.

Regarding the tutorial, I played through it and the only thing I'd note is perhaps the references to the keys which refer to the keyboard keys rather than the Pandora controls. But the keyboard keys are all still valid, and I switched from using those to the Pandora buttons fairly easily, so perhaps it's not a bad way to learn.

Regarding the tutorial, I played through it and the only thing I'd note is perhaps the references to the keys which refer to the keyboard keys rather than the Pandora controls. But the keyboard keys are all still valid, and I switched from using those to the Pandora buttons fairly easily, so perhaps it's not a bad way to learn.
That's what I had in mind.. that the key references could be fixed to refer to the defaults set up on the Pandora..

Back