Release Fachoda complex

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is Fachoda complex, a lightweight combat flight simulator.

preview1.png
It's an SDL game (no 3D acceleration here), yet it runs very well with good framerates.

The game is quite complex, and has many keys. I adapted the key layout to the Pandora. Still, the handling is not super easy.

The keys are:

ESC            Quit

{Y}/{X}        throttle

7/8            zoom in map mode and external views

4              swap between internal views (normal/dogfight)

6              external view (traveling)

5              swap between external views (around, satellite, pursuit, bomb)

2/3            cycle through other planes of your side, or through close planes in dogfight view

1              view your own plane, or select the closest enemy plane in dogfight view

9              map view

P              autopilot

G              gears

F              flaps

B              wheel brakes

X              accelerated mode (make sure to set autopilot first!)

S              set a flag at plane’s location on the map

N              set navpoint to home base

WASD           watch in every direction in internal view ; move the map in map view

I              back to front view (must be hold in dogfight view)

K              rear view (same)

J              left view

L              right view

O              up view

{B}            (hold) focus at the instrument panel

{Start}        pause

F10            sell your plane and by the closest one amongst those parked at your home base.

Enter          (hold)  display the highs-cores

DPad/Left nub  move the command controls

{A}            center stick

Left shoulder  fire with the active weapon

Right shoulder select the other weapon (guns/bombs)

F12            suicide

You can also choose Mouse mode in the option, but I don't advise that unless you plug a real mouse.

Note: the Nubs are changed to "FPS Mode": Left as Joystick, Right as Mouse. You can change this behavour by changing the content of the files left_nub and right_nub of appdata/fachoda folder.

History log

========

Build 02

----------

• Recompiled with better(?) options
Build 01

----------

• Initial build
  • Key layout adapted to the Pandora
  • Default to Left Nub as Joystick and Right Nub as Mouse
  • Use Touchscreen on the Menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oups, sorry, I messed-up my search on the repo :(

I'll probably disable my version, there is no point of have 2 versions so similar (the keybidding is not the same, but both look adecate to me). The only main thing different is I added some Joystick mode, but I'm not sure it worth 2 versions.

Oups, sorry, I messed-up my search on the repo :(

I'll probably disable my version, there is no point of have 2 versions so similar (the keybidding is not the same, but both look adecate to me). The only main thing different is I added some Joystick mode, but I'm not sure it worth 2 versions.
Please wait some time before disabling your port.

We should at least compare both.

I'll check your port out, mine has an odd quirk if clocked lower than 800Mhz the collision system would act funny causing crashes on take off and such.. compiling with loop unrolling seems to help a bit,  but I offered a low-res mode (400x240 scaled) for those that didn't want to overclock their Pandora over 800Mhz to make the thing work properly. 

Edit: Although I didn't have joystick mode in my port, just Mouse via Nubs and keyboard..

Well this game definitely has it's quirks even when played on a regular PC.

I'll check your port out, mine has an odd quirk if clocked lower than 800Mhz the collision system would act funny causing crashes on take off and such.. compiling with loop unrolling seems to help a bit,  but I offered a low-res mode (400x240 scaled) for those that didn't want to overclock their Pandora over 800Mhz to make the thing work properly. 
I tested only on a Gigahertz (don't have my CC right now for testing).

Tried it quickly on my Rebirth (don't have my CC at the moment, on loan to my Brother) @ 600Mhz. I didn't observe any of the odd quirks my port had when running at the lower clock speed.. well the propeller not spinning could be a sign, but the game is quirky in general.

EDIT: For the most part I think joystick control alone makes Ptitseb's port superior..  

Tried it quickly on my Rebirth (don't have my CC at the moment, on loan to my Brother) @ 600Mhz. I didn't observe any of the odd quirks my port had when running at the lower clock speed.. well the propeller not spinning could be a sign, but the game is quirky in general.
Oh, sounds good so :)

hmmm ... I can't get passed the menu ... I  can move the cursor with the right nub, but I can't select anything. Left nub does nothing, and I think I tried every other button there is(?)

First time after I killed Fachoda-Complex I noticed that my left nub wouldn't move to the left any more. I reset the nubs, tried again, but still can't do anything in the menu (except moving the cursor). Nubs worked normal after I killed it again, so this was probably not related. Also tried to reboot.

How should the menu work?

hmmm ... I can't get passed the menu ... I  can move the cursor with the right nub, but I can't select anything. Left nub does nothing, and I think I tried every other button there is(?)

First time after I killed Fachoda-Complex I noticed that my left nub wouldn't move to the left any more. I reset the nubs, tried again, but still can't do anything in the menu (except moving the cursor). Nubs worked normal after I killed it again, so this was probably not related. Also tried to reboot.

How should the menu work?
I have forgot to mention that Nubs are set to "FPS Mode": Left nub as Joystick, Right as Mouse. Use the Touchscreen to validate the menu (I'm going to add that to 1st post too).

DOH! I actually forgot about the touchscreen :lol:

Compared to the old version the controls are much better. Still not 100% as expected from other flight sims, but after 3 crashes I managed to fly around a bit. It's strange that the plane tends to lose height all the time, sometimes even full throttle pointing upwards ... unless using autopilot. But I finally managed to actually steer the plane and did not die instantly ;)

DOH! I actually forgot about the touchscreen :lol:

Compared to the old version the controls are much better. Still not 100% as expected from other flight sims, but after 3 crashes I managed to fly around a bit. It's strange that the plane tends to lose height all the time, sometimes even full throttle pointing upwards ... unless using autopilot. But I finally managed to actually steer the plane and did not die instantly ;)
Yep. Same here, I don't understand why you still loose altitude at full throttle and no flaps. Could be a funny game but ask a lot for that.

I have recompiled with improved, I hope, compilation option. I added the -fsigned-char (that most PC games wants), and use -O3 for unrooling loops (exept for heightfield file that crash my experimental GCC 4.9.0). It seems pretty good now (after take off, don't forget to remove flaps, with 'F', it's the second red light when you look at the instrument, with {B}, the first is landing gear, but it cannot be remove in most planes).

Build 02

----------

• Recompiled with better(?) options

I disabled my port in the repo, your new recompile fixes the only bugs I saw and with joystick support makes it better than mine. 

Back