Only open source?

Jet

Still Fresh
Hello everyone!
I understand that Pandora is one coolest devices in the world.
It allowed more bigger than only game.
My question: all game devises have their hard artillery. XBOX(and 360) have Halo, Gears of War, Dead or Alive, Ninja Gaide, Dead Rising. PlayStation(2 and 3) Final Fantasy, Metal gear Solid, God of War, Yakuza, Gran Turismo. Nintendo have Pokemon, Mario, Resident Evil, Metroid, Dragon Quest...
How about Pandora? Most of this game created not Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo. I don't sad about Pokemon, a-a-and... Mario too? And still few games which this companies are created.
Does the Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Sega, etc.... suported Pandora if this console have open source?

I don't understand what you mean.

The Pandora can run closed-source programs too.
Like, in the unlikely situation that Electronic Arts decides to make a Need For Speed for Pandora, they can do that, and sell it, and not release any of their code.

But since it appeals to such a niche market, I don't expect many big-name games for the Pandora.
Certainly there might be small developers who are closed-source, like the guys behind Vendetta Online. They talked about a Pandora port, but I think they've decided to wait on it for a little while.

Sorry, I don't understand.

I guess you're asking, "Will people make multi-platform games for the Pandora?"?
Possibly. Developing for the Pandora is nearly the same as developing for a Linux desktop, the only difference is OpenGL and OpenGL ES.

If you were asking something else, I've missed it.

Your original post mentioned first-party games like Halo, Pokemon, and the Mario series. The Pandora developers are making a game, but I don't know if it will be any good. It's not done yet.

Jet said:
Does the Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Sega, etc.... suported Pandora if this console have open source?
They could. They don't have to release source code if they don't want to. They could release binaries and data, complete with DRM if they really wanted, just like they do on a PC.
It's not very likely that they will: Pandora is a very small market at the moment, and they're not likely to devote the time and effort into something that will only pay off in the thousands.

Think he wants commerical games on the pandora. like halo and gears of war.
Trouble is this involves alot of investment. I was told by Gizmondo, EA wanted £1million to port ssx and fifa. Both were ok, not great, but to draw in a commercial developer you either have to pay though your nose or be hugely popular to allow the development of those games cost effective like we are seeing on the iphone.

I'm sure pandora will get homebrew games eventually on the same lines as the iphone games but likely nothing commercial will be available unless a DRM protection is built. as copying from SD cards is easy so tracking piracy will be rubbish.

at this time there are no big developers supporting the pandora (that we know of). only the homebrew community

If you can sell 10million pandoras plenty of companies would want to make games for it, the road to selling that many is a long one though. In the meantime smaller companies might take a chance on making commercial games for it and some homebrew can be almost just as good, sometimes better and of course emulators for older systems and all of their popular titles will be available too.

Jet said:
Even if you sold 10 millios of Pandora?

if commerical companies came in they would want the communty to halt development of emulators that ran their roms. like EA and old snes versions of fifa etc. they would make things very difficult for the pandora developers. so prolly for the best theyre not involved yet.. plus we get all the cool emulators/homebrew soon.

They dont demand PC developers stop making emulators. Not like they could really make the same demand here. Besides it's not the emulators that are illegal it's the roms themselves that they run on.

True they cant demand anything... they put alot of pressure on console system developers to get rid of such things if they wanted to come to the pandora, as they would have more control on content.
I hope something like payback(GTA clone) makes a comeback for a pandora release

As far as I know, almost all major companies are aware of the Pandora. They just don't care, yet.

The OMAP3 platform is going to have commercial games, huge big name commercial games, no doubt about that - it's being used in the sonyerricson PSPhone and various other big name devices which will have games.

The question is will those software houses be kind enough to give us a Pandora download version too, without people hacking the exe to work on the Pandora?

I hope they will.

Here's how it works:

Someone creates a niche hardware / software platform. It attracts a few nerds and early adopters.
Software companies continue to develop for the top 3 platforms [Win x86-32, Mac x86-32, Linux x86-32] because not enough people own the new platform.
Nobody buys the platform because there's no software for it.

Microsoft, Apple, and Intel continue to own the hardware market because nobody wants to develop for a hardware platform that few people are using.

For the Pandora, it's a little better, since most of the open-source Linux programs are being ported, and because the development tools can be downloaded easily and even run on the device itself.

So maybe we can get something going.

I think the iPhone has really raised developer awareness about architectures like ARM. Since the Pandora has the same chipset as some new phones, we will see commercial games. The question is, how many, and are they any good? ;)

You don't need closed source for that. Many cool games will be ported/created for the pandora. Those may not be exclusive or commercial, but a game doesn't need either to be cool.

Craig has hinted before that some larger publishers have been interested in the pandora project. Who they are and what they create is still a mystery at the moment

Back