Onestation Question - Which One?

chad78

Website
Visit site
Okay, before we get started, yes, I know that there are already a few threads on the OneStation. No, I don't think I'm the first to find the system, and no, I don't think it's a new device. I also know it requires actual game carts - not SD cards - to play emulated NES games....

My question is, which one is better?

From what I've seen online, there are at least three types. Not all called OneStation, but all somehow related.

There's the Kensington OneStation Elite, the OneStation Mini, and the MD Max. All of which pictured here. now, if I were simply to go off the prices at that store, I'd guess the MD Max is the best system. But based on the customer reviews, that's not true. (Doesn't play NES games, TV Out is only B&W, etc.)

So... based on your expert opinions and first hand experiences - which is better?

(BTW, I am planning on getting a Pandora - so I know that's a FAR better use of my money - I just don't want to wait, and want something tiny for quick gaming. This would basically replace my SuperCard carrying GameBoy Micro, which is really disappointing me....)

I've got the OneStation Mini and the OneStation elite.

I understood that the MD could play megadrive games, but lot's of people complained that the slot was flawed, which made it hard to insert and sometimes it would slip out while using.... so I avoided it.

Inside the elite has a better NES chip. It plays nearly all NES games, while the mini is limited to only the basic NES games. Have a look at the liost of games on teh carts to see the capabilities.

Both use the same tv-out and look the same, however when I plug my tv-out from one ot the other, it would not display. (even with the same cord.)

One other thing, the Mini has a better dpad. It took me a bit to get used to the dpad, but it feels ok now. So, I got both units and don't regret the purchase. I use the mini the most, but there are a few games I will need to start the elite for.

One thing to note is that the battery life is amazing. They come with crappy generic batteries, but I must have spent more than 10 hours each on them and they still have the original batteries. You'll have no reason to worry about rechargables.

I hope this was helpful.

Get the normal one. The MD Max looks nice, but it has a 19:9 screen and plays 4:3 MD games.

500px-Mdmax3.JPG

There'll be some ugly streching.

The Elite is also a piece of crap: 2 of my 3 games were broken and refuse to play.

Thanks for the very helpful replies, guys. If I get one, it will be the mini. But it seems most places (that I could find anyway) that sell them are all out of games - and mostly out of consoles. I guess I'll just have to suffer with my 3 handhelds until the Pandora comes out.

they are both good. But the original one is better i think mainly coz you can use the MD converter. I dont think the elite has a md converter yet ?

Okay... Now I'm more confused.

Which is the "Original" and which is the "Regular" one?

I mean, I have three things here - MD Max, OneStation Mini, and OneStation Elite.

Is there just a "OneStation" that I'm not seeing? One not listed at that site I linked to? Or is the "mini" the "Regular"/"Original" one? (Which - wouldn't make sense to me - but neither would the "Elite" being the original one.)

If there's another option, could someone send me a link - because Google isn't helping this time.

Thanks. Sorry I'm so dense.

chad78 said:
Okay... Now I'm more confused.
Which is the "Original" and which is the "Regular" one?

I mean, I have three things here - MD Max, OneStation Mini, and OneStation Elite.

Is there just a "OneStation" that I'm not seeing? One not listed at that site I linked to? Or is the "mini" the "Regular"/"Original" one? (Which - wouldn't make sense to me - but neither would the "Elite" being the original one.)

If there's another option, could someone send me a link - because Google isn't helping this time.

Thanks. Sorry I'm so dense.

The original is this one, because it came out first:
250px-Os_vorne.JPG

If you need some pictures:
http://wiki.portablegaming.de/One_Station

Last edited by a moderator:
The original is the best, especially if you can get a hold of the MD converter to play the Mega Drive game carts. My MD Max has this problem with the sound being very, very, low. The elite gives you NES games only and is good for those NES games that are not available on the original. I think the shape of the elite feels better in your hands. The TV-out, on my elite unit, works the best when compared to the other units. I have found the TV-out feature to be problematic.

icurafu I think, for some reason, they reverse the audio and video on the TV-out on the units sometimes. I know on my Caplet, which is basically made by the same people, if I wanted to use the same cable I had to plug the audio and video RCA conections in reverse to use it. I plugged yellow to white and white to yellow. Really weird.

Back