moz

load *,8,1
Website
Visit site
Here you can comment on the stickied one video per day thread:

video requests go here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Evildragon,

I would LOVE to see a video specially dedicated showing compatible First Person Shooters e.g. Quake 2 and 3, Duke Nukem 3d, Heretic/Hexen etc:

Showing of the 3d rendering capabilties of course too in some games.

If possible with mouse support too would be nice to see for us.

Hope you can that for all FPS Lovers out here? ^_^

PS: Maybe show us some booty too running on Pandora in Duke 3d E1: level 2 ;) ^^ hint hint

"Most of - if not all - Pandoras will be delivered this year.."

This must be a misstatement... right?

Also, misstatement is a word. Firefox's spellcheck says so! :p

But spellcheck isn't a word. :huh:

Ed, thank you for this post. I expect to spend more hours than I care to count re-playing all the Descent 1 levels, and finally getting around to the Descent 2 levels. This is a Pickle Port, right? Thank you Pickle as well!

Actually thank you for all your effort in showing off this device.

Now I remember why I don't like decent, it makes me sick. I got so sick playing it when it was new, I always wanted it to have a button that put me right side up when Pressed. It is a very disorienting game.

I used to get motion sickness back when these games where new, I must of got over it because I played these games through several years ago with out any issues.

Well it's a hope that all will be shipped this year, Which still could be a possibility If things go smoothly..

Pretty sure he said "We hope" there - I can't get my headphones so I played the vid really quiet through some speakers - so I can't verify that. But there's only one month left until the end of the year - That's not divisible by Two Months!

EDIT: I've played that game! I remember that now :) . I also got motion sickness from it, but dammit I got motion sickness from Quake at times. Cracktro spotted, also... :D

Pretty sure he said "We hope" there - I can't get my headphones so I played the vid really quiet through some speakers - so I can't verify that. But there's only one month left until the end of the year - That's not divisible by Two Months!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having the totally unrealistic goal of believing that my 1000-1500th Panda order will be filled by any time before March 2011. I'm just thinking that it's a massively optimistic view given everything that's happened with the project.

I suppose it's possible that the production companies are finally getting into the game, but so far they haven't had such a great track record.

EDIT:Once I get mine, I'ma see what I can do about porting Arch to the device. Or at the very least set up my own openbox environment. XFCE is just too bulky for me. :D

Thank you ED! This motivated me to get PRBoom running and update some other things that I've been procrastinating on. New KETM is pretty badass too.

Look forward to whatever lies ahead!

I always had trouble mapping the descent controls comfortably onto a gamepad without limiting movement freedom. A regular keyboard has more than sufficient buttons to map them such that you can easily fire and control all 6 degrees of freedom simultaneously (especially when not using a mouse).

With gamepads (or thumb keyboards) you typically have to move your hands from one control to the other all the time which makes your movements less smooth preventing you from moving in more than 4 axes simultaneously (which is as awesome as it is likely to cause motion sickness :D ). Having four shoulder buttons and an accelerometer would certainly have been a help for controlling this.

Well, since rolling and heaving are a bit less common, I suppose the following scheme would work fairly decent:

- d-pad (or left-nub): surging (accelerate/break) and swaying (strafe)

- left-nub (or d-pad): rolling and heaving

- right-nub: pitching and yawing

- R: fire

- ABXYL: switch weapons, etc...

Anyway, I'm very happy that these work so nicely and I absolutely love the concept of daily videos. Keep em coming ED :D

Well, since rolling and heaving are a bit less common, I suppose the following scheme would work fairly decent:

- d-pad (or left-nub): surging (accelerate/break) and swaying (strafe)

- left-nub (or d-pad): rolling and heaving

- right-nub: pitching and yawing

- R: fire

- ABXYL: switch weapons, etc...
That's pretty much standard console FPS controls - with the addition of rolling and heaving (whatever that is) on the secondary left control, which aren't usually applicable to FPSes. Would work for me. Flight sim controls usually have pitch and roll on one control, and movement (e.g. acceleration, strafe if applicable) on a secondary one, and yaw if supported on buttons, but Descent never struck me as a game that supported traditional flight controls.

That's pretty much standard console FPS controls - with the addition of rolling and heaving (whatever that is) on the secondary left control, which aren't usually applicable to FPSes.
That was the idea yes. Heaving is, according to wikipedia, the term for vertical up/down motion (i.e. vertical lift). I have no idea if Wikipedia is right :p

<edit>Damn ninjas :) </edit>

Descent veteran here (we call ourselves Pyro-jockeys). Shout out to all the other pilots here!

The Descent games never caught on as a mainstream game because of how they played. It frankly was too much for most gamers to handle, dealing with all six degrees of freedom at once. I describe Descent as being a hybrid of a first-person shooter and a flightsim, with full 3D freedom. It's not unusual to fly into a room and be attacked from, quite literally, six different directions. The PyroGX/GL is an amazingly agile little ship, but is not terribly durable nor very fast. In order to survive, you must constantly be in motion and be aware of the position of absolutely everything around you - no matter how much the world twists and turns around your ship. Outmanuevering is the name of the game.

This is disorienting for most players. I myself am blessed with a natural knack for 3D space, which gives me a huge leg up in the Descent world. There's not always a reference point as to which way is up in Descent, but as any Pyro-jockey can tell you, it's actually quite unimportant knowing which way is up. It only matters that you are aware of what is around you at all times.

EvilDragon, considering that was your first flight in the PyroGX, you did quite well! Thanks for showing the video. I'm very much looking forward to getting back into my Pyro once I get my Pandora.

Thanks for the Descent video, ED! One quick question: It was pretty obvious at one point in Descent II that there was some texture smoothing going on, meaning it was using OpenGL. I couldn't tell if this was the case for Descent I or not - it actually looked like it was using software rendering at one point. Are they both OpenGL? Or only II? Thanks again

Back