Omg! E L I T E Gba!

Alex. posted on Mar 28 2006 at 10:03 PM said:
NES version works well on LJGP. It looks like a fun game, although it's not very fast to figure out.

- Alex

Have you never played it?

You are in for a rare treat.

Go here for a copy of the flight manual and make sure you read the Dark Wheel Novella it really sets the mood for the game. The flight manual is for a Computer version not the NES one but figure out the NES icons and the manual will make sense.

It's a complex game but well worth the effort and was literally decades ahead of it's time for playabillity IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never played it but it sounds good, so I'll give it a try.

The GBA one is better. It has better graphics and is closer in gameplay terms to the BBC B original, but uses a NES style control system. The NES versionis very good though.

WhizzBang posted on Mar 29 2006 at 07:36 AM said:
The GBA one is better. It has better graphics and is closer in gameplay terms to the BBC B original, but uses a NES style control system. The NES versionis very good though.

Anyone got any pics of the GBA version?

I'm a huge fan and lost many hours on my BBC to this.

The NES version is good as the interface makes it much easier to play on a hand held. There is something satisfying about a native version though. I would love to see a port of Newkind to the 2X.

If anyone is intrigued and has never played Elite I would completely and utterly recommend it.

It's open ended style of gameplay has yet to be matched IMHO. If you think of modern games proporting to allow you to "choose your own path" and the game changing as a result (think Black and White, Jedi Knight II etc) Elite was doing this years ago. Going to run Slaves and Narcotics? You got a whole heap of Vipers on your tail.

With regards to reading Dark Wheel. I recommend this too. Very innovative at the time.

Everything about Elite was cool. Even the box was twice as big as any other Acornsoft box!

Right that's my little Elite fanboi rant over......ahem.... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
As WhizzBang says the GBA one is better but the NES one is plenty good enough to be a great gaming experience. TBH I don't think there was ever a duff port of Elite. Even the Spectrum one was fantastic although it replaced the particle explosions with big circle flashes. It was still cool though.

Having reached ELITE status on BBC, C64, Speccy and Amiga versions Plus having spent time on several other versions too I can honestly say that gameplay is close enough on all the versions I've played to give you a similar very fun experience.

TBH The NES is in some ways an excellent start point as it has been made a little more accessible from a new pilot point of view.

Ha! After tting my passcard and M3 adapter (thanks for the help fellas!) I can now play the GBA elite port! Just stuck it on the card. Will be mostly on the road for the next three weeks, so will be getting to grips with it. Had a quick look, looks nice with all the icons at the bottom etc.

This will be about the third, no the fourth time I have played this game. Everytime I start it again, I am hooked! What magic is it that this game has in spades? Just the greatest game there has ever been!!!!

Excited.

Back