Is Caanoo Going To Replace Wiz?

orthicviper

Still Fresh
i really dread this possibility. the caanoo has an LCD screen, far inferior to the Wiz's OLED! not since sony went from PSP to PSP Go have i seen such a downgrade in a handheld. but i don't care as long as it is not intended to replace the Wiz!

orthicviper said:
i really dread this possibility. the caanoo has an LCD screen, far inferior to the Wiz's OLED! not since sony went from PSP to PSP Go have i seen such a downgrade in a handheld. but i don't care as long as it is not intended to replace the Wiz!
There are far more qualified people than myself here to answer this question but in my opinion, yes, it will replace the WiZ. I don't like it any more than you do as I love my OLED. From what I'm reading here though, it doesn't matter how well you take care of the WiZ, the screen "is" going to fail :( .
I'm warming up to the Caanoo the more I think about it and I intend to get myself one for Christmas this year. That should give everyone time to port the things I "must" have from the WiZ. The Caanoo in its present state of software availability, is undesirable in my opinion. That should change however with time ;) .

Last edited by a moderator:
Zaephen said:
The Caanoo in its present state of software availability, is undesirable in my opinion.
Remember that GINGE will let the Caanoo use almost all of the gp2x's software. Notaz hasn't said when he'll port it to the Caanoo, but once it's done a large library of software will be usable.

quote said:
Zaephen said:
The Caanoo in its present state of software availability, is undesirable in my opinion.
Remember that GINGE will let the Caanoo use almost all of the gp2x's software. Notaz hasn't said when he'll port it to the Caanoo, but once it's done a large library of software will be usable.
I don't mean to hijack the thread but as the WiZ was my first open handheld, could you list me a few of the outstanding games from the GP2X? I'm aware of Cave Story (outstanding!) and I tried Heroes2 (I think that's what it's called, it's a Tron/snake type game) but it didn't work for some reason.

GPH aren't immediately discontinuing Wiz support, but their primary product is now the Caanoo.
The Caanoo is basically an improved Wiz, whilst the guts are mostly the same, the hardware is better with flaws removed, and features added.
Namely, the joystick is the best direction input they've had so far, the screen is larger and does not have a limited life-span like OLED does.
It adds a g-sensor, a vibration motor, a USB host, so there's a lot of potential fun.

Wiz software isn't immediately compatible, but it's apparently easily recompilable.

RupeeClock said:
Wiz software isn't immediately compatible, but it's apparently easily recompilable.

And if GINGE gets running on the caanoo, most wiz software should immediately be available for the CAanoo.

GPH will support both the wiz and the Caanoo. Apparently all games will run on both.

This community however is another story, as always, some devs will write for one and some for all, and some for their favourites.

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
RupeeClock said:

And if GINGE gets running on the caanoo, most wiz software should immediately be available for the CAanoo.
Er, you mean GP2X software, not WiZ, right?

orthicviper said:
i really dread this possibility. the caanoo has an LCD screen, far inferior to the Wiz's OLED!
Have you not heard about the rotting screens, graininess, burn-in, and the eventual fading of the screen's blue emitters (and after a longer time, red and green)? LCD may not look as great, but at least it's stable.

Okay the blue degradation is not a 100% fact on how it effects the Wiz's AMOLED screen as it aint been around long enough for anyone to see it. So lets stick to tested facts ok and not make up evidence.

Zaephen said:
orthicviper said:
... From what I'm reading here though, it doesn't matter how well you take care of the WiZ, the screen "is" going to fail :( ...

i heard the OLEDs last like 250,000+ hours, plenty of time for most to save up for their next upgrade. heck, that statistic is probably just when the screen loses 30% of it's brightness and would still work. where'd you hear about people's wiz screens failing?

orthicviper said:
Caanoo basically is a Wiz. And the Wiz has been replaced by the caanoo. I don't like it either as it is not just the screen that changed. The move from digital to analog controls means sloppy controls in emulators that emulate systems designed for digital. The screen bezel is too small on caanoo covering part of the screen and the speakers are on the back which will ruin any stereo effect and give crap sound. The good news is that since the hardware is pretty much the same stuff can be pretty easily compiled for both. Maybe there will even be a version of Ginge that will let caanoo apps run on the Wiz (not sure if that will happen though but it is possible).

WarmFluffyUK said:
Okay the blue degradation is not a 100% fact on how it effects the Wiz's AMOLED screen as it aint been around long enough for anyone to see it. So lets stick to tested facts ok and not make up evidence.
Unless Wiz screens are miraculously invulnerable to the defect that plagues other OLED screens, then they will all eventually fade unevenly to everyone's displeasure.

Reo said:
orthicviper said:
i really dread this possibility. the caanoo has an LCD screen, far inferior to the Wiz's OLED!
Have you not heard about the rotting screens, graininess, burn-in, and the eventual fading of the screen's blue emitters (and after a longer time, red and green)? LCD may not look as great, but at least it's stable.

i might have heard some examples of that, i can't specifically recall. what percentage of users does this seem to affect? to me, oled has potential to be bad in the long-term, but LCD is bad immediately. OLED is closer to the quality of a CRT. LCD works bad with human vision. that's the problem with sample-and-hold technologies like LCD, when it comes to how the brain processes visual information and the way your eyes track objects, you will see a blur on moving objects that your eyes follow. it's a problem that can't be corrected by reducing the response time, and since i haven't heard of the caanoo LCD being 120hz or following up every displayed frame with a frame that is blacked out, i'm not excited about it since i just can't stand blur and i don't know how most people can tolerate it. i just want to play old-school games the way i did as a kid, without blur. also, i'm big on detailed dark scenes. LCD's don't do black. it's bad enough that displays can't do cyan, but substituting black for purple just doesn't cut it for me.

orthicviper said:
Zaephen said:
orthicviper said:
... From what I'm reading here though, it doesn't matter how well you take care of the WiZ, the screen "is" going to fail :( ...

i heard the OLEDs last like 250,000+ hours, plenty of time for most to save up for their next upgrade. heck, that statistic is probably just when the screen loses 30% of it's brightness and would still work. where'd you hear about people's wiz screens failing?
On these very forums. I've seen posted pictures and read their posts.

I'm not sure where you heard the 250,000+ hours for OLED screens but that's way off what this says.

Reo said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
Unless Wiz screens are miraculously invulnerable to the defect that plagues other OLED screens, then they will all eventually fade unevenly to everyone's displeasure.

i checked out the link, here's what wikipedia says:
Lifespan: The biggest technical problem for OLEDs was the limited lifetime of the organic materials.[55] In particular, blue OLEDs historically have had a lifetime of around 14,000 hours to half original brightness (five years at 8 hours a day) when used for flat-panel displays. This is lower than the typical lifetime of LCD, LED or PDP technology—each currently rated for about 60,000 hours to half brightness, depending on manufacturer and model.

any gamers hardcore enough to play for 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, will surely not mind paying for a replacement device if gaming is that important to them, after 5 years. i will play 2 hours a day at most, maybe 4 days a week. these blue LEDs will last me decades.

I like the OLED screens too. They have a superior black level (well actually LCDs have a grey level really), response time, viewing angle, color saturation, more even colors (LCDs tend to be un-even due to the position of the backlight lighter on one spot, darker in others).

As you say if they wear out over time you can always replace it. The pixel plague effecting the Wiz is probably due to GPH using crap screens that de-laminate. That is not standard with OLEDs. They should only be fading after allot of use, not rotting after a few months. Even so the crappiest OLED still looks better than the best LCD.

DaveC said:
I like the OLED screens too. They have a superior black level (well actually LCDs have a grey level really), response time, viewing angle, color saturation, more even colors (LCDs tend to be un-even due to the position of the backlight lighter on one spot, darker in others).

As you say if they wear out over time you can always replace it. The pixel plague effecting the Wiz is probably due to GPH using crap screens that de-laminate. That is not standard with OLEDs. They should only be fading after allot of use, not rotting after a few months. Even so the crappiest OLED still looks better than the best LCD.

whoa you have almost 9000 posts, that's hardcore. consequently im not surprised your big on OLED too. it seems they didn't seal the oleds well like you said, and the screens wont last as long as GPH probably could have made them last with a bit more planning. despite that, i'm NOT going to cancel my recent wiz order and go for a caanoo instead. i don't often have spare money, but i'll just hope the darn thing lasts at least a few years and upgrade. maybe at that point they'll have a Caanoo 2 that goes back to OLED that i can buy for 150 or something.

orthicviper said:
i'm NOT going to cancel my recent wiz order and go for a caanoo instead.
I think you'll be very happy with that decision. As someone who played the DS & PSP for years, I couldn't believe how beautiful the WiZ screen was when I got it. So crisp, bright and blur/ghosting free. I was in awe.
As I said in other posts, I'm going to get a Caanoo later this year (for Christmas) and just store it for a back up in case something does happen to my WiZ. When there are more games available for the Caanoo then maybe I'll look at replacing my WiZ but right now, honestly, I have no reason too :) .

Guys, this topic had been discussed waaaaaay too many times. Wiz replaced by the Caanoo, OLED vs LCD, digital pad vs analog. Don't you think it's time to can it?

Back