Oled And Pandora2

Status
Not open for further replies.

klikklak

Oh neat, it's a ... field.
Website
Visit site
As I don't frequent this forum all that much this might be a duplicate:

How much would a OLED version of pandora cost extra? .. OLED is my main reason to be interested in the Wiz (it's always good to invest in new screen technology), and I'd really like to see it on the pandora. Have the devs considered doing a version like this in the future?

Also apologies for posting an another 'pandora 2.0' thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can alway try to mod one in if you want. :D

The Pandora 2 is a long ways off, I can't really say when it will be designed or whether it will use OLED.

The decision between LCD and OLED probably depends on these factors:
Power consumption
Brightness
Those sorts of things.

Yeah, I suppose it's a long way off. The devs seem like more stability than having the latest and the greatest. I'm still hoping for a F-200 type upgrade. Well, hoping for that comes after hoping for an actual release of v1.

I was going to write that I'm not going to mod it, but deleted it. Maybe if my electronics projects work out, I'll consider it. Some time next decade. (what? I just realized that the 2000's are over in a few silly months. Weird.)

I guess the main factor is price. The pandora ist really cheap and despite the fact that OLEDs in that size are hard to come by these days, they would most likely be more expensive than LCDs.
BUT I guess that OLED is one of the features that aren't that unlikely to be featured even in Pandora 1.5. If it's possible to find a screen which fits in the current moulds and which is adressed the same way, it would pose no problems like updates in processor speed, controls and all the other things which would make pandoras incompatible.
So IF there will be an OLED like this I can't see a reason why it shouldn't be used.

Modding depends a lot on whether LCD and OLED displays have similar pinouts, and how hard OLEDs are to power, but I suppose it's at least 'possible'.

I think the devs are going to try to leave it stable for a while, it seems like a very good system. They might eventually double the RAM / Flash again, but I don't they'll change the display tech until it's really necessary.

Balzac2m: My thoughts exactly, I suppose OLED's will both fall in price and increase in availability and use and size in the coming year. I'm looking forward to it quite a bit, can't wait to have a reasonable sized 3D OLED monitor for my pc.

lulzfish: Yeah, I'm currently fully not-electrician. I'd like to change this however, so I think the major obstacle for a mod would be skills first and presuming availability etc of OLED's gets better, not the screen itself.

It would require more than just the pinouts being the same. Either the communication signals would need to be the exact same as well, or you'd have to rewrite the display driver. More than likely it would be the latter.
If the pinouts are not the same, you could always mod yourself an adapter. So long as the pinouts are at least similar (power, ground, 8 data lines for example (note: I haven't actually looked up the number of data lines it uses, I just pulled a number)) then it should be possible.
Then there's the touch screen to contend with.

klikklak said:

How much would a OLED version of pandora cost extra? .. OLED is my main reason to be interested in the Wiz (it's always good to invest in new screen technology), and I'd really like to see it on the pandora. Have the devs considered doing a version like this in the future?
OLEDs of the size we're talking about aren't cheap at this time. They're nice and they blow the doors off of an LCD display, yes, but the pricepoint would have been even more painful for everyone had they chose to use one on the current Pandora. As for a conversion, you'd need to know how to interface to the LCD LVDS drive lines and translate them to the OLED equivalents. Not for the faint of heart to say the least. Couple that with needing to get an identical touch screen module to the one integrated with the LCD or getting an OLED panel with a similar setup and then passing those signals to that edge...

I'm not going to say "no" but anyone wanting to attempt it has their work cut out for them. It's, in theory, doable, but it's not even remotely cost effective- it'd have to be a "because I can" type thing. :D

'Svartalf' said:
'klikklak' said:

OLEDs of the size we're talking about aren't cheap at this time. They're nice and they blow the doors off of an LCD display, yes, but the pricepoint would have been even more painful for everyone had they chose to use one on the current Pandora. As for a conversion, you'd need to know how to interface to the LCD LVDS drive lines and translate them to the OLED equivalents. Not for the faint of heart to say the least. Couple that with needing to get an identical touch screen module to the one integrated with the LCD or getting an OLED panel with a similar setup and then passing those signals to that edge...

I'm not going to say "no" but anyone wanting to attempt it has their work cut out for them. It's, in theory, doable, but it's not even remotely cost effective- it'd have to be a "because I can" type thing. :D

The OLED screens I have seen have all been on mobile phones (i.e. small and low res) and they all have integrated controllers, which is totally different to how most LCDs are interfaced.

Incidentally, LCD panels rarely use LVDS signalling natively, and it would seem unlikely for the pandora to use it, as it would need a chip on the pandoras motherboard to convert to LVDS, and then another chip inside the screens part of the case to convert back to the parallel digital interface used by the LCD and output by the OMAP, and if they did do that they might as well have a chip on the motherboard that also spits out HDMI or DVI too. LVDS is normally used in newer laptops to reduce the pin count of the LCD cable so it won't struggle through the hinge, and also in DVI and HDMI for the same reason but also to increase the possible transmission distance and decrease noise susceptibility. I could be wrong about the pandoras signalling, but this would appear to me as being unnecessarily complex.

Ahem, anyway, screens with a controller built in (like most OLED screens) are tricky beasts, and are often very expensive (except for small ones) because as well as the integrated processor they also tend to have framebuffer ram in the LCD electronics, and that's before you think about the cost of the screen technology itself. The whole thing can make it difficult to, for example, use the 3D hardware of the OMAP, since to interface directly to the OMAP you would not use the standard LCD output (instead you'd use some other bus), and you'd need to write extra drivers to talk to the controller (which uses processor time when it's running - which is always). You could use a fast microprocessor to convert the LCD output of the OMAP into graphics controller commands, but that would be quite arduous. It would also use extra battery power (not to mention that the LCD has an integrated controller and RAM so it's already using extra power - though maybe this is offset by it being OLED). LCDs with their own controllers are normally useful when you have a low performance main CPU/micro that isn't capable of doing it's own graphics (not fast enough, doesn't have fast enough IO).

However, having never seen datasheets for large OLED screens I cannot really say for sure whether or not they use a standard interface or a built in controller. I see no reason why they shouldn't use a standard interface, I've just never seen an OLED screen that doesn't have a built in controller.

So in essence I'm saying more-or-less as Svartalf said, they simply aren't in wide enough use or cheap enough yet. But I can't see why it wouldn't be possible in the future. A drop in replacement for the existing LCD I would expect to be highly unlikely though, unless OP had it manufactured specifically for them (which is VERY expensive).

'klikklak' said:
Yeah, I suppose it's a long way off. The devs seem like more stability than having the latest and the greatest. I'm still hoping for a F-200 type upgrade. Well, hoping for that comes after hoping for an actual release of v1.
I'm sorry, but are you daft? The F200 was a horrible blunder on GPH's part and I would never want to see Craig and Co. walk down that same path. Any upgrades to the original hardware should take place in whatever the "Pandora 2" will be called.

-God Ginrai

Yes. Making a revision instead of an entirely new console to replace some hardware is great- just ostracize your most devoted group of customers. Great idea.

EVERY ONE STOP TALKING ABOUT PANDORA 2 THE FIRST ONE IS NOT OUT YET. EVERY ONE STOP TALKING ABOUT PANDORA 2 THE FIRST ONE IS NOT OUT YET. EVERY ONE STOP TALKING ABOUT PANDORA 2 THE FIRST ONE IS NOT OUT YET. EVERY ONE STOP TALKING ABOUT PANDORA 2 THE FIRST ONE IS NOT OUT YET.

(naw)mcx posted on Mar 14 2009 at 06:43 PM said:
EVERY ONE STOP TALKING ABOUT PANDORA 2 ....

I agree with you. Let's start talking about Pandora 3.

I'm sorry, but I don't see what's so horrible about a revision if no major hardware is added. And OLED screen wouldn't change anything to make it non-compatible. The F-200 changed the stick click and added a touchscreen. Touchscreen is quite major. Now if there'd be say SDXC, different keyboard mat (an example, nothing else), slim it and add OLED, releasing something like it wouldn't be a bad idea. Say throw in some case colours while you're at it. I think this is how the industry works, and I fail to see anything particularly wrong with it, besides ecological one. Even that mostly applies to proprietary software which doesn't support older hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back