Okay, Doing Better But Still Some Problems

Yeah, GPengine is one of my favourite emulators. I'd never even played a PC Engine game before I got my GP32, but the games are great. Shame Streetfighter doesn't seem to work :(

GPengine can be a slight headache to get working at proper speeds on some games, Frameskip had three specific settings that caused things to dissapear and a few other slight issues but there are many games you can enjoy without the benefit of saves (Blazing Lasers sadly is not one of them :()

The place you go for your roms can also be an issue... the spot you mentioned is easy to find but it's also one I dont trust because of their little "click these links to get in" buisness, I'd click them a dozen time and get nothing but a promise of working roms for my trouble but never the actual list. Also I think they try to corrupt stuff they give you if you havent followed all their directions before downloading. (atleast they say they do I've never really made an effort of experimenting)

Why do you keep making threads based on similar topics? Good luck getting things running..why dont we just have a mrdark forum :p

yes, good idea .. i'm also a noob concerning gp32 but i try to answer the questions i have myself while reading the threads on this board and not start a new topic for piece of question i get in my mind ... try the search button, its your friend here ;)

greenmikey posted on Oct 12 2005 at 11:09 AM said:
Why do you keep making threads based on similar topics?  Good luck getting things running..why dont we just have a mrdark forum :p

Well, I've made a couple similar topics because the pattern on these (and all) boards is that once something is a few days old it usually starts to fade and no one pays it much attention anymore. I'm not creating new topics just to annoy people, it's because I honestly need the help. If you've paid any attention to my trials with this system, you'd see that I've gone through quite a bit just to even get one that works correctly. Purity, I assume based on your attitude that your system worked fine. Well, mine didn't.

And you have to remember, people new to this don't have the experience on things you might find completely trivial. Sometimes even if they're given what sounds like good advice, it still doesn't make sense because they don't have the right context. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get the right answer, and it's only then that they can start figuring the rest out on their own and hang with the rest of the guys who all "speak the same language". There are always variables, so sometimes the answer isn't correct, and half the time people guess. They're being helpful, but they may not actually provide the right assistance.

As for the search button? I've read the GP Newbie page and have searched for stuff several times, sometimes finding what I need and sometimes not. And I'm not going to get into a battle over who's the more efficient newbie. These forums exist to share information, so I don't feel guilty asking. I try to be polite, at least. The evidence of someone holier-than-thou is when someone automatically assumes that a user didn't "bother" checking a fact or finding information on their own. Maybe sometimes that information just didn't help.

I'm not perfect, but I'm getting more comfortable with the machine. I only got it and first was able to even play it 24 hours ago, after all.

Hey Alpha, as for that site you mentioned (RM): They do want you to click their vote buttons but I never do. I just enter the number and download the roms. I've never gotten an obviously corrupted rom from them. Not to say it isn't possible, but you mentioned experimenting, and I guess that applies to me because that's where I got most of my roms, many of which I've played through (at least on the PC) without any noticeable problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, that's okay, I like dry retarded humor. Just didn't know at whose expense you were laughing...

mrdark posted on Oct 12 2005 at 08:50 PM said:
No, that's okay, I like dry retarded humor. Just didn't know at whose expense you were laughing...
noone's expense, just the comment you made was funny :ph34r:

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Oct 12 2005 at 04:57 PM said:
mrdark posted on Oct 12 2005 at 08:50 PM said:
noone's expense, just the comment you made was funny :ph34r:

Ah, okay, I could've lived with it if it WAS against me, but I was worried that the quote was misread. Glad it was just seen as funny instead.

Jeez GreenMikey give the guy a break, if you don't like the questions turn the page.
Those of us willing to help will do so.

So how's it coming along anyhoo MrDark?
I can recommend getting into DrMD, I get a lot of play out of it, far more than I expected.
I like to start with http://www.genesiscollective.com/ShowGames.php
and then go find the rom. There's some really great Genesis games that got very little promotion.
And there are soooo many fun NES games.
And lots and lots of Atari ST games that run insanely well thru CaSTaway.

The GP really is a sweet little device. Once you get it sussed and fill up your smc with good stuff it'll be more a case of too many games and not enough time!

alyinsanfran posted on Oct 12 2005 at 09:19 PM said:
The GP really is a sweet little device. Once you get it sussed and fill up your smc with good stuff it'll be more a case of too many games and not enough time!
And storage space. >_<

You might also want to try gpCinema. There's a sweet conversion guide up on GPnewbie. Takes some trial and error, but it's nice once you get it.

Thanks Ali. Sometimes I feel like telling people off sometimes. You know, something like "Hey, I need help, that's why I'm on this fucking board. Why'd YOU come here?"

But the guy wasn't especially meanspirited. Just giving me shit because my questions got on his nerves. Well, I try to be polite, so whatever.

Things are going better, I've thrown a bunch of Nes roms on the SMC. Littlejohn seems to work best, Nester just reboots my system when I load a rom.

Having somewhat better luck with opensnes9x. I like the results so far, but the crackling sound freaks me out a bit. I know it's expected in the emu at the moment, I'm just worried that it might be hard on the stereo or something internal. If not, and it's just harmless "sound", then that's cool.

Tried DrMD, and I like the interface but I haven't really played any games on it yet. Just that resistance because, like I said, I've been playing genesis on a handheld for a loooong time.

Thinking about GPEngine. I always loved a cheesy little game for it, "Order of the Griffon", but if I recall correctly it DOES rely on proper saves so I'm out of luck even bothering with it.

SO things are going pretty cool, I'm looking forward to expanding the system. Thanks for asking!

Oh, Shinneri: that GPCinema did look promising. I started to follow the (very nice and picture loaded) tutorial on your page, but I ran across 2 problems: Halfway through, the pictures start to not match the instructions (IE the photos show adjustments that aren't described, so I don't know whether to mess with them or not). In addition, the instructions say it has to be played at 133mhz, and I don't know if my 166mhz system can just adjust this mid-video. I just quit for the moment until I could find these answers.

One thing I DO want to ask right out- how do you rename roms using a card reader? This whole time I thought I could do it manually, which I can, but once in the GP32 the files remain at their basic names. It's hard to pick between 8 different games when they all read as "SUPER."

Sorry Mr, good luck in your travels ( it wasnt intended to be rude, although it was after reading it now..) Check out the search though, its rockin what people have asked. It surely will answer questions you never wanted to know the answers to and more.

mrdark posted on Oct 13 2005 at 02:13 AM said:
Tried DrMD, and I like the interface but I haven't really played any games on it yet. Just that resistance because, like I said, I've been playing genesis on a handheld for a loooong time.

Actually playing games on DrMD is actually better than on the nomad. Mostly because that screen on the nomad is crap, and you can save ANY game on DrMD at any time. Nomad screen is small, blurry, slow, and washed out. Try DrMD on the GP32 you will like it just because the screen is SO much better.

What si the opening menu on GPDoom? All I get is the starting menu with the red monster face and white text where you select which WAD you want etc., and then press Start to begin the game. There are no Blu/Blu+ selections there...

Should be a setting (if you have the right version of GPDoom) that has either SAMSUNG or TAIWANESE selected. That's where you select the type.... Samsung for the original BLU, and TAIWANESE for the BLU+.

mrdark posted on Oct 13 2005 at 11:43 AM said:
One thing I DO want to ask right out- how do you rename roms using a card reader? This whole time I thought I could do it manually, which I can, but once in the GP32 the files remain at their basic names. It's hard to pick between 8 different games when they all read as "SUPER."

Yes, that can get annoying when you have a bunch of roms that you can't work out what they are because they all have the first six letters.

This comes down to the GP32s OS being like the old DOS, with the 8.3 extension system being used. Any long filename shows up exactly as it does in DOS. Some emus, such as DrMD use special methods to get around this, but on any emu that does not use this it can be a bugger.

To rename a rom using a card reader is eactly the same as renaming any file on your PC's hard drive - in My Computer/Explorer, click on the rom once, then click the right mouse button and select Rename. Type in the new name (remember the extension in at the end must still be there, such as .smc for SNES roms or .zip if the rom is zipped) and press enter when finished. Your rom will now be renamed.

Well done on getting the best handheld ever in the world. Once you get over these teething problems, you'll be having as much fun as the rest of us with your little gp32_console.

Demon, I appreciate your advice, but unfortunately that's what I was already doing and it doesn't seem to work? I assumed that because the method was so simple (and what I'd always done for other files all my life) then surely that's all I had to do for my roms too. But renaming them just gives them a new name on my PC, and doesn't show up changed on my GP itself. My nes rom Castlevania 3 for example shows up as, oddly, something like CVANIA2. I renamed it its proper title, as "Castlevania 3", and while it renames as such on the PC it still shows up with the crummy truncated (and incorrect) original name on the GP32.

So while it probably sounded stupid to ask how to rename my files (since it's a simple right-click task and it's easy to figure out), I didn't get the results I expected, so I assumed I was doing something wrong or there needs to be some software or something.

I remember I had the same problem when burning Dreamsnes for the DC: I put dozens of roms on the disc but they would not rename for shit (and made the DC run much harder) until I ran a DC-specific rename file that auto-organized and renamed them itself. Do I need something like that, or should I really always just be able to rename things manually in WIndows and have it show up that way on the GP?

Back