Okay, Doing Better But Still Some Problems

mrdark

Okay, yesterday I went insane because of a shitload of SMC reader problems. But by the end of the ight, I seem to have things handled on that front for now. I've been able to play a ton of Nes roms on this thing as well as test out some Opensnes9x and Scumm vm among other things. The device certainly has promise, and if the Nes is an indicator of performance, then I made a solid investment.

But here's 4 areas that still concern me:

I put Scummvm and Monkey Island 1 on a card. No sound.

The only Doom port I seem to find anywhere has a huge white bar on the top of the screen, even though it's a "test version" made to work in BLU+.

Reesy's newest Opensnes9x port (front page) still crashes with me when trying to play games like Shadowrun, which doesn't go past the license screen (even though it's said to work fine).

GPmame loads fine for me, but trying to play a game (such as Black Tiger specifically) just seems to keep me forever on the warning screen. Also, though I packed several roms with it, it only reads a small sample. Doesn't seem to detect even basic Rampage.

I'm not trying to bitch that these things don't work. Instead, I'm sure that I must be doing something wrong. Anyone here who has been keeping track know that I've gone through all kinds of hell with this system, and I was trying to keep it simple and slow at this point to avoid more.

So, if anyone has specific fixes, links to better versions, or adjustments and alternate methods I should know about for these 4 problems, please send them my way- I'm slowly getting the hang of this system but still need help.

Thanks for any efforts, and remember I'm using a BLU+ that seems to go to 166mhz.

I think you need the right Monkey Island data files for the sound. I forget details, but a forum search should help you.

Do other SNES games also not work, or is it just that one?

The MAME problem may be that you need ROMs compatible with version 0.34 of MAME. I used Romcenter and the .DAT file supplied with GPMAME to make them useable. There's a lot of info about that in the MAME support sub forum on this site.

Jeez, I've done so much SMC work today I can't even remember where I got Monkey Island. But I'm pretty sure that it came with everything needed, there were sound files and even some mp3s I think. Either way though, I did want to know if MI WAS playable with sound. If you're saying it is then that helps, I'll continue to search.

I should have pointed out that some of my snes games do run. But Shadowrun crashes to where I have to just turn off the system, and with Simcity if I have sound on it makes a horrible beep at startup and then freezes. Some stuff, like Earthbound, does seem to play okay. Part of my problem is that I don't know if Reesy's current (front and home page) BLU+ release is the final one for now. If so, I don't think it's working that well for me. I know some games don't work well, but I did read that Shadowrun was one of the better games so I'm concerned.

I'll look into the stuff you mentioned about Mame. I forgot about that issue because so many people have said that I don't need anything but the ones that work on my pc. That could be it.

I don't know about Doom though..I don't want to play it with that white bar but I don't really see any alternative versions that work with BLU+...

Iorgy77 posted on Oct 12 2005 at 03:53 AM said:
The version of Doom I have has an option for turning the BLU+ on or off.

Which one is that?

Last edited by a moderator:
That would make sense, the one I got with the bar is V9. But then the next one I saw available was just called the test version, which looked identical.

I'll keep checking...

Do either of you guys have any opinion on the other stuff I was having trouble with?

I often find you newbs start with the complex stuff and then go on to the easy stuff. ;)

Try running some solid emulators first. You,ve tried nes. Try GPengine, DRMD and some of the other stable emulators first before trying the stuff that needs some tweaking.

eg MI 1 and MI 2 run fine in scumm but it's not he easiest thing to configure compared to the console emus. I've even got a full talkie version of Loom on my Scumm SMC.

Chuck DRMD on an SMC and blow yourself away with that for a bit. :)

Iorgy77 posted on Oct 12 2005 at 12:29 PM said:
Try a different version of Shadowrun.

Ditto, there are a few bad ROMs around that might give you problems.

fishybawb posted on Oct 12 2005 at 04:34 AM said:
Iorgy77 posted on Oct 12 2005 at 12:29 PM said:
Try a different version of Shadowrun.

Ditto, there are a few bad ROMs around that might give you problems.

Yeah, if you guys have no problem with Shadowrun, then it must be my copy (but I'm unsure if all those options are set correctly in my Opensnes, though).

I'll look for another copy of the game, but I don't know where to get it, really. There's my main site (RN) and then one that just closed down (EP). If any of you have good luck at certain places, uh, well, pm me to drop any advice.

As for that statement about trying the other emus- I definitely will, it's just been a bitch waiting to try Snes all this time. It's just about my favorite system, and I'm quite tired of the Genesis (which of course works great) thanks to having the Nomad for a decade. But I'll get along. As for Monkey Island though, it does bug me that I can't get sound (always liked the music). Knowing that it supports it though, I'll see what I can figure out.

What the hell, I'll ask some Doom help here as well :)

I have a Blu+, and GPDoom v10 beta 3. There are two white/blue liens at the top of the screen, and saving a game crashes my GP. That is true for Doom1Shareware, Doom2, and other WADS from gp32x.de.

Where exactly is the option to switch betwwen Blu and Blu+? The only options are on the first menu, the one with the red mug and white text where you select wads and graphics options etc.

I think that's the same version (and problem) that I'm having with Doom too.

PS: Aren't there no saves in GPEngine?

elektrocution posted on Oct 12 2005 at 05:06 AM said:
saves was never finished in gpengine, to bad :( its just like the only thing missing

No saves at all, not even proper saves?

mrdark posted on Oct 12 2005 at 01:09 PM said:
elektrocution posted on Oct 12 2005 at 05:06 AM said:
saves was never finished in gpengine, to bad :( its just like the only thing missing

No saves at all, not even proper saves?

The PCEngine didn't have "proper" saves

On my blu+ for SNES I use Snes9XGP and os9xgp v0.1 (you must use this version with blu+).
I've tried the latest build but it doesn't like the only 2 snes games I play (Cameltry and Major Title).

For Doom I have v10b which is blu+ compatible. You need to select blu+ on the opening menu.
Don't know if saves work or not, I only play it for quick hits as you can start from any level anyhow.

GPEngine does not allow saves to the smc (it was not implemented) BUT most games have password saves anyway. I play Military Madness and BoxyBoy and both use passwords.

Note that your blu+ will probably clock to 156, maybe higher. Try DrMD or GPMame to see if it locks up at higher speeds. Most emulators will let you save your clockspeed preference as default.

mrdark posted on Oct 12 2005 at 12:48 PM said:
PS: Aren't there no saves in GPEngine?

Since the PCengine is mainly a superb arcade game console no saves isn't as bad as it could have been with say SNES or Genesis. Yes saves would be nice but I find myself playing GPengine when I want a quick thrash on a shoot 'em up or bomberman etc.

Other than saves GPengine is a very stable, very competent emulator with a nice interface, brightness controls etc. Give it a whirl you'll love it.

Back