Ohh Looky Here

SNESFAN

Retro game fanatic
this is kinda neat we have a fellow mainstream product running angstrom officially

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/02/08/archos_5_gets_linux/

this might not be directly Pandora related, and might get moved to other consoles... but maybe something can be gained from this and put on the Pandora?

discuss..

As it is mainly the same hardware, it could have been the other way round: Archos saw that angstrom runs on pandora and makes his own distro now.

And as it seems ther're usig matchbox, the first thought for a window manager for Pandora, too.

Archos amazes me with this, really :) They are usually known for locking down their stuff. Good times for Open Source :)

jb0yx said:
but maybe something can be gained from this and put on the Pandora?
Not really.

mcobit said:
Archos saw that angstrom runs on pandora and makes his own distro now.
It has more something todo with TI supporting Open Embedded/Angström, see Beagleboard also.

Last edited by a moderator:
"If you are not a programmer/developer and would just like to try it out, understand that it will have capabilities inferior to that of the standard Archos operating system."

LOL

ashdjones said:
"If you are not a programmer/developer and would just like to try it out, understand that it will have capabilities inferior to that of the standard Archos operating system."

LOL

LOL indeed

No lol at all. The original firmware just contains all that licensed stuff. The Angström firmware is completely free and open with the usual drawbacks.

mali said:
No lol at all. The original firmware just contains all that licensed stuff. The Angström firmware is completely free and open with the usual drawbacks.

And with the usual goodies like emulators, free hacking, better multitasking, no licensed software...

mcobit said:
And with the usual goodies like emulators, free hacking, better multitasking, no licensed software...
Yes, so 'yay' instead of 'lol', or something :)

I'm not entirely sure what Archos is up to with its OS's, other than the fact that they now are using three different OS's: Windows 7 for the 9" tablet, Android for the 5", and now this Linux distro as a dual OS on the 5" tablet. For their Android tablet, Archos seems to be suggesting that it will support the Android Marketplace, and that anyone can write apps for it.

I enjoyed laughing at the on screen keyboard when I realised we would never need one on the Pandora :lol:

Good for them. I hope more companies follow suit and offer free alternatives. I hate the fact that most companies wont let you do what you want with the hardware that you've paid for.

I've owned several devices with a thumb hw keyboard, and I've still needed an on-screen keyboard with all of them. There's a reason full-size keyboards exist - one of them is that they have many more keys, and easier access to special characters.

I've got a Touch Pro which has a keyboard and a touch screen and I do find sometimes that I use the on-screen keyboard a lot more but thats because I have to slide out the keyboard and flip it before I can use it. Sometimes its quicker to use on-screen. In the case of the pandora, the keyboard is always in front of you and should be faster than using the touch screen. That said you may be playing a game with the touchscreen(Warcraft for example) and need to type something and in that case the touch screen would win.

Good news about the cases, honestly I dont think I'd ever pull my order out and hopefully the cases are up to snuff as I'm ready to do some programming :D

mali said:
mcobit said:
Yes, so 'yay' instead of 'lol', or something :)

Was aiming the LOL at the pompous Archos quote.

Back