Oh! The Humanity! V1.0.0 First Screenshot

dodgyville

Website
Visit site
Hello,

A few weeks ago I released an early beta of Oh! The Humanity!. The complete first version should be ready soon, and here is a screenshot because I'm quite happy about it! The finished game contains a total of 12 mini-games, each one based on a disaster in history.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol I actually thought about 12 monkey for a second there... looks good. I never played the demo, maybe I should do that!

EDIT: ARGH typos...

I REALLY want to try this. Is there a way to make it so i dont need to use pygame or whatever it is to run it? Or if I do, please provide instructions as I am a retard.

thank you :)

I suppose he could static link maybe? No, he'd need pygame to use python to do that :p
It would make life so much easier for most users if people would include whatever runtime files they need with their downloads. Yes, they become larger. On my gradually improving review site GP2XGamer.com I give a rating of DISQUALIFIED to any game that doesn't do so.

I suppose he could static link maybe? No, he'd need pygame to use python to do that :p
It would make life so much easier for most users if people would include whatever runtime files they need with their downloads. Yes, they become larger. On my gradually improving review site GP2XGamer.com I give a rating of DISQUALIFIED to any game that doesn't do so.

Well, repeatedly including all the libraries with the package is not really "the linux way", and doesn't really work with python games. Python is probably 10-20mb install in various directories and it doesn't make much sense to install it for each game, especially when linux is geared to install it once and then never worry about it again.

I completely understand your DISQUALIFIED rating in so far as it describes those tiny little very non-mainstream libraries that sometimes clutter homebrew projects. Pygame is used quite widely. I can think of two gp2x games that use it off the top of my head (tunar and Oh! The Humanity!).

I think Python and pygame should come installed with the firmware, as in my mind they are essential libraries (like SDL) - my recommendation for open2x. In fact, instead of spamming users by installing commerical demos/advertisements (which is my understand of firmware 2.0), that space could be used to distribute python and pygame in Firmware 3 (whenever that is).

I will definitely revisit the pygame situation by either:
1. detailed super simple instructions on how to install it (I believe it is: 1. download from x, 2. unzip on SD card)
or
2. finding a way to package it with each game.

Obviously games should run "out of the box" and messing about with getting stuff to run is a complete indictment on the game maker, since games are supposed to be FUN.

Back