Official Psp Release And Omg

P

pAiN

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/27/news_6111570.html

There it is. And look at that price tag!!!!!!! A lot lower than I expected it to be. Now i'm torn between this and the DS since its only like $30 more!!! I don't think the DS is going to be able to compete with something like the PSP and at this price.

EDIT: oh and by the way, with the release of the DS and PSP, my prediction is to look for a nice price drop on N-Gages, the N-Gage has no chance of competing so I think they'll be scrapped and on the clearance racks in no time.

Its only like $4 more than a new GP32 Blu as well so what do you think that will mean for the GP32. I know it was never mainstream but people that come across the GP32 might not be so willing to buy one now since the DS is already cheaper and the PSP is a few dollars more.

I'm getting the PSP and the DS, although the PSP can wait about a year. DS at Christmas though (along with an Ngage).

I'm a spoilt bastard.

Why? Neither system is open source and I think this time they will have made sure that cracking them is near impossible like the Gamecube.

The only hope of running stuff would be that the PSP may allow something to work from the memory stick.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

the point is, most people are looking for a system with good quality commercial games, only a handful of us retro and die hard homebrewn fans have the GP32, but if you have a person doing a side by side comparison between the GP32,DS,PSP, then yes, the GP32 is going to be fine if all the guy wants is emulators and homebrewn, but if he wants good Final Fantasy games and very high quality 3d games then he's not going to pick the GP32. The only thing the GP32 has going for it now is homebrewn and emulators. The psp can play movies, not sure about MP3, and WILL have better games and is only $4 more.

On the other hand, the PSP will also be taking the Zodiac down as well. I mean, sure its a palm but from a gaming angle, who's gonna pay $399 for a Zodiac, when the PSP is $185 and better quality games.

Edit: had the PSP came out when I bought my GP32, a year and a half ago, i would not have bought my GP32.

pAiN posted on Oct 27 2004 at 02:40 PM said:
the point is, most people are looking for a system with good quality commercial games, only a handful of us retro and die hard homebrewn fans have the GP32, but if you have a person doing a side by side comparison between the GP32,DS,PSP, then yes, the GP32 is going to be fine if all the guy wants is emulators and homebrewn, but if he wants good Final Fantasy games and very high quality 3d games then he's not going to pick the GP32. The only thing the GP32 has going for it now is homebrewn and emulators. The psp can play movies, not sure about MP3, and WILL have better games and is only $4 more.

On the other hand, the PSP will also be taking the Zodiac down as well. I mean, sure its a palm but from a gaming angle, who's gonna pay $399 for a Zodiac, when the PSP is $185 and better quality games.

Edit: had the PSP came out when I bought my GP32, a year and a half ago, i would not have bought my GP32.
I agree with you on some points there but the gp32 can play movies and mp3s you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
But the guy who wants commercial games would never buy a gp32, even if it was gp32 against GBA. I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle.

PSP and DS = Mainstream commercial

GP32 = Homebrew

The 2 (I should say or 3, but PSP and DS will fight it out) can live side by side.

GP32 can play movies yes, after you spend time ripping the dvd, encoding it, hoping it works, its more a pain in the ass. Now i'm not sure how the PSP is going to do the movies, but i'm assuming they will be on the mini disc like the games and there will be no effort whatsover to watch movies unlike the pain in the ass it is to watch them on the Gamepark.

Well, why are we complaining about emulation?
If your here and complaing that you waont be able to play retro , you need shot
most of us already have a gp32
just cary GP32 and PSP in same case and then you have new age and retro!

What I want to know is can I get on my computer via the 802.11b?
can I get on a network?
Would the network see it as a Mass storage device?
could i view internet on the PSP?

~Octavious

pAiN posted on Oct 27 2004 at 03:10 PM said:
GP32 can play movies yes, after you spend time ripping the dvd, encoding it, hoping it works, its more a pain in the ass. Now i'm not sure how the PSP is going to do the movies, but i'm assuming they will be on the mini disc like the games and there will be no effort whatsover to watch movies unlike the pain in the ass it is to watch them on the Gamepark.
Yes, except you'll have to pay about £30 for them.
PSP's price is very unnexpected, they are clearly making a huge loss on each system, probably in an attempt to combat the DS. I won't get one though, since I'm pretty sure there won't be any good games on it that I can't get on a different system.

Does anyone else find it a little strange that the battery life managed to increase by 4 hours in just a few months since E3? Either they've magically invented a new battery that they didnt have then, or these rumours that they have told developers to decrease the graphics and quality of their games are true. :ph34r:

If the PSP wins this Nintendo are done for, and then we are left with Sony and Microsoft. Aww shit.

EDIT: And as much as I like the DS, the PSP is going to kick its ass sales wise. People are Graphics whores.

I will be supporting the DS and Nintendo anyway.

finty101 posted on Oct 27 2004 at 03:55 PM said:
If the PSP wins this Nintendo are done for, and then we are left with Sony and Microsoft. Aww shit.

EDIT: And as much as I like the DS, the PSP is going to kick its ass sales wise. People are Graphics whores.

I will be supporting the DS and Nintendo anyway.
Why would one failed system mean the end for Nintendo? They've had failed systems before (Virtualboy) and have done fine. They still have quite a few billion dollars in the bank, they'll be fine!

mr twit posted on Oct 27 2004 at 04:00 PM said:
Why would one failed system mean the end for Nintendo? They've had failed systems before (Virtualboy) and have done fine. They still have quite a few billion dollars in the bank, they'll be fine!

For a while perhaps. But when the Virtualboy bombed they had the success original Gambeboy and SNES to rely upon. Even now they make the most money from the GBA. If the DS were to fail (which it won't) then Nintendo would find themselves in trouble. Not Sega or SNK sized trouble, but I doubt they'd be able to afford another faliure after that (with Sega it was a string of botched releases).

Back