We Live In Exciting Times:

Kop_007

Istanbul Red
Dont know if this is the right place but I was just thinking about stuff and came up with this crap:

The Basics

Zodiac

Pros

It’s a PDA
MP3
Pictures
Video
Emulators
Thousands of apps already there.
Stylish?

Cons

Analog stick crappy for emus
Lack of real games
Tapwave?
Lots of other niggling problems.
Price?

PSP

Pros

Lots of Games
Sony (Guaranteed support)
MP3 (Memory Stick)
TV Out

Cons

UMD not writable
You have to buy movies
Uknown if homebrew scene will develop (Memory stick)
Price?

Nintendo DS

Pros

Nindento Games
Price
Lots of wireless things
Unique gaming experience?
Emulators from GBA carts
GBA support

Cons

Not stylish?
Nintendo aren’t exactly on a winning streak?
No Video
No MP3
Just Games?

Nokia N-Gage (the first one)

Pros

Phone
Text Messeging
Proven Support
Radio
MP3
Lots of games and a few apps
Now reasonably priced.

Cons

You look like a tool when using the phone feature
Games are a little annoying to load
Screen is crap
Controls stink.
Dead now because of PSP/DS?

That’s it for now, I have no proven facts, just what my thought are at the moment.

Just a little side note the DS does have video playback options. 1st on is the commercial episodes sold on GBA carts of popular shows.(USA has this anyway). 2nd is the GBA Movie Player(the unofficial) which lets you encode your own movies. It should be compatible with DS since it has GBA cartridge support.(by the way the movie player can also play music but it has to be reencoded to its own format from mp3s) Since the DS will have more power it is likely someone will develop these utilities that can be put on rewritable cartridges.(provided the GBA cart slot has access to all hardware) Or maybe they will develop DS flashable carts.

What? The DS not stylish???
Its one of the most stylish handhelds I`ve ever seen!!!

It`s a nice mix of modern & retro look!

Quiest posted on Oct 1 2004 at 07:21 PM said:

I think even the gp32 looks better than the DS

Last edited by a moderator:
aapje89 posted on Oct 1 2004 at 06:16 PM said:

The latest picies they've released looked quite tasty, i think it looks better than the PSP in my opinion.

PSP

Pros

Lots of Games
If you put that there, surely you should put it on the DS one too, since the DS has the same amount of games in the making as the PSP, plus has the already massive library of GBA games.
Also, why is battery life not listed under PSP cons?

Nintendo DS

Cons

Not stylish?
Have a look at that and tell me that's not beautiful.
No Video
No MP3
Just because they haven't been officially announced, does not mean they will not happen. They almost certainly will. The GBA already has videos you can buy for it, so the DS definately will. And the GBA's flash carts play mp3s and videos, so will the DS's.

Nokia N-Gage (the first one)
Cons

Dead now because of PSP/DS?
No, dead now because it is utter shite.

I'm done rantin'. :D

I fail to understand how people continue to wonder if there will be a homebrew scene for the PSP. THERE WONT, unless sony decides to crank the Yaroze program up again which would require you to buy expensive hardware and the games would probably never get distributed. PSP=NO HOMEBREW, get over it.

Not stylish?
Nintendo aren’t exactly on a winning streak?

1. this is obviously subjective but it's obvious alredy several people here alredy disagree.
2. i doubted the use of the second screen myself until I got to try it at E3 and found it to be full pf potential.
3. you make it sound as if they plan on packing up their ball and heading home early. How is their not being on a winning streak a factor? Are they going to stop supporting the one market that they dominate (portable gaming) just because they've had a few clunkers on their other console? somehow I doubt it.

Alpha2 posted on Oct 1 2004 at 07:13 PM said:
3. you make it sound as if they plan on packing up their ball and heading home early. How is their not being on a winning streak a factor? Are they going to stop supporting the one market that they dominate (portable gaming) just because they've had a few clunkers on their other console? somehow I doubt it.
good point, especially since they still have a few billion dollars in the bank!

Hmm, I find the DS beautiful too.

But then again I love all hand held systems. I want them all. Mwahahaha!

:ph34r:

I think basing on how many games GameCube gets is why he didn't incorporate DS with lots of games. Based on Playstation2, it seems like PSP will be getting many games.

www.gp32z.com

Im still annoyed at nintendo for what their homebrew people are like. one of them actually thinks that the gba can emlulate better than the GP! are they crazy?

Goity posted on Oct 1 2004 at 08:29 PM said:
Im still annoyed at nintendo for what their homebrew people are like. one of them actually thinks that the gba can emlulate better than the GP! are they crazy?

depends what your talking about, the GBA can emulate snes easier as the chips supports similar functions (mode7 and fast sprite rotation etc)

Goity posted on Oct 1 2004 at 08:29 PM said:
you are annoyed at nintendo because one person who uses a GBA, yet has no relation to nintendo whatsoever, things that the GBA can emulate better than the GP? o...k...

aapje89 posted on Oct 1 2004 at 07:16 PM said:

The gp32 is one of the most boring looking handhelds i know of because of its lame color scheme (until you paint it by yourself :D )
The three most stylish looking portables in my opinion: 1. Wonderswan Crystal, 2. Nintendo DS and 3. GBA SP!!!

Deleted User posted on Oct 1 2004 at 08:17 PM said:
Not stylish?

Have a look at that and tell me that's not beautiful.

Its not beautiful

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH YES, it is! :p

Nah Not Really,
But What Would Be Cool Is If Microsoft Started Promoting gp32_console and made games!

Goity posted on Oct 1 2004 at 10:37 PM said:
Nah Not Really,
But What Would Be Cool Is If Microsoft Started Promoting gp32_console and made games!

Uuuuuh yes,... or better... no. Microsoft should stay away from the console/handheld sector, or can you tell me of one great game they made for the XBoX, and don`t say Halo, thats much too overrated. I`ve heard of no other game, that made me want to own a XBoX.

Back