Official Firmware V1.2.1 Released

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
GPH just released a new Official Firmware Version: v1.2.1

Besides various bug fixes and optimizations, you need to install this firmware if you plan on playing commercial games.

Download: Firmware v1.2.1

I wonder why this isn't on the English GPH website. Last time they told us there was a special version for the Europian/North American market and to not download the Korean version. Just wondering where this one came from and if it is the same sort of situation with this release. Anyway, a lot of people have been going nuts waiting for the firmware relase for some reason. I downloaded it myself, just not sure if I should install it or wait for an official word from GPH.

fett42 said:
I wonder why this isn't on the English GPH website. Last time they told us there was a special version for the Europian/North American market and to not download the Korean version. Just wondering where this one came from and if it is the same sort of situation with this release. Anyway, a lot of people have been going nuts waiting for the firmware relase for some reason. I downloaded it myself, just not sure if I should install it or wait for an official word from GPH.

Because GPH currently are having some problems uploading to their website. They sent it to me so I can release it.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
fett42 said:

Because GPH currently are having some problems uploading to their website. They sent it to me so I can release it.

Awesome, I shall update my Wiz then. Sorry for questioning you, I just didn't want a repeat of the last supposed 1.2 firmware release. :p Thanks for posting it. I can't wait to see if there are any noticable changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far, got it on the stick and to the menu.. "Firmware Upgrage" lol...
Now it says Firmware Updating with a red progress bar. I can't wait to see if there's any changes too. :D

Aesthetically, there isn't much change.. although.. the major thing I really like so far is that the diagonal tear appears to be completely gone. No problems with any of the emulators (nes, gb, gba, gen, mame, tg16).. so compatibility seems like it should be.

Good download.

Just waiting on my wiz to have a full charge before i update. Anyone happen to have a complete update list... Or are we stuck with a vague "bugs were fixed" statement for now?

Thanks for the upload ED :)

I have never upgraded the firmware on my wiz (it came with 1.1), so I had a few questions:

-to upgrade I have to place the files in the firmware archive inside an sd card and turn on the wiz while pressin the R shoulder button?

-does it affect in any way the NAND memory (should I backup the stuff on it before upgrading)?

Yeah, you hold the R button when you turn it on to start upgrading. You should backup your NAND, yes - it might all get reset.

Can anyone confirm whether the "50% slower" bug in PocketSnes disappeared?

Ok, thanks for the info.
I think I'll do the upgrade !
(even if the saying "If it's not broken...don't fix it !!" started bouncing in my head)

ciao

ok, upgraded, it did reset my NAND but I had backed it up (thanks for the advice). copied all the extra games back on and they work with no problems.

I have quickly tested prboom and pocketsnes (normal and fast with super mario all stars and world), didn't seem to have any problems. don't know about the 50% bug, so I couldn't say if it was fixed.

@ bionic: actually the new firmware fixes the tearing problem (at least as far as I have seen with my quick test- no tear in red flash when hit in doom), and I would do it even if it fixed only that.

There is still a little bit of tear in the amiga emulator uae4all 0.8.0. Do we then neeed the libsdl that ikari made? Which is it faster?

Regards

André

mthguilb said:
wind and water doesn't work with the new firmware and propis don't work correctly

The full version of wind and water works with the new firmware but the propis demo still has the rotated screen.

The update seems to have messed up my touchscreen something fierce. It was kind of busted before but workable, after the update it's almost useless. It only registers at the top-middle of the screen, regardless of where I touch it. Tried to recalibrate but that did nothing.

Both Wind and Water and the Propis demo seem to work fine, although Propis is unplayable with my touchscreen issues.

Cannot install any themes (very buggy). Doom seems to stutter a bit (and the diagonal tearing is not gone), haven't checked any emulators yet. Not impressed so far.

Win2X does not install on this firmware. After running Install.gpe (or gpu?) the system hangs at the "Now Loading" screen.

When connecting to the official international GPH website, my Kaspersky antivirus pops up and says the website has a virus on it. Some kind of Java script (.js).

I'm glad they have given the new firmware to EvilDragon so that he could put it on the File Archive.

Yesterday I installed the Korean 1.2.0 firmware, and today this new one is released. LOL, I was thinking about this yesterday, that the new firmware would come out today and that I should wait. :lol:

After playing a little more, I still notice the diagonal tear, especially in pocketsnes. The only emulator it seems to have fixed for the tear is the NES emulator.

pocket_snes doesn't load for me anymore.
Just the pocket_snes_fast file loads, the other makes the Wiz hang on the Loading screen.

Deevoh said:
After playing a little more, I still notice the diagonal tear, especially in pocketsnes. The only emulator it seems to have fixed for the tear is the NES emulator.

pocket_snes doesn't load for me anymore.
Just the pocket_snes_fast file loads, the other makes the Wiz hang on the Loading screen.

PocketSNES works fine for me.

Quake 2 (ioquake2) for example has improved very much regarding the diagonal tearing. However, Quake 1 (quake_0.03) somehow still suffers a little from it. Few other things also still have some diagonal tearing, but certainly not as excessive as before. It has improved quite a bit.

Few other things I noticed after trying the new firmware:

Epiphany does not start.
Doom 1 does not start (prboom_wiz_2.5.0). Correction: does start! I named the Doom 1 file wrong so it wouldn't load. I named it DOOM.WAD and it had to be DOOM1.WAD.

Will do some heavy testing tomorrow, and place some more videos on my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wootson1983

Back