Official Firmware V1.2.1 Released

Well, looks like I bricked the damn thing.

Got stuck on the "Firmware Upgrading" screen for an hour, figured it froze on something, rebooted and now I'm greeted by a black screen when I boot it back up. LOVELY.

penars said:

Got stuck on the "Firmware Upgrading" screen for an hour, figured it froze on something, rebooted and now I'm greeted by a black screen when I boot it back up. LOVELY.

x68000 didn't like that my significant other gave up on the forum so I signed up (seems he has nothing better to do than track IP's). We're soon to be moved to my place in CA. Don't think I'll upgrade yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Performance Update:
Snes (NOT THE FAST VERSION) runs better (tested in Super Metroid, previously was ~34 fps in a certain area, now is ~50)
gpSP runs better (tested in Sonic Advance 2, previously was a bit jerky in the Music Plant level, flawless now)
Tearing is much MUCH less (even in AlexKidd, it is barely noticeable)

Mr.TwisT said:
Performance Update:
Snes (NOT THE FAST VERSION) runs better (tested in Super Metroid, previously was ~34 fps in a certain area, now is ~50)
gpSP runs better (tested in Sonic Advance 2, previously was a bit jerky in the Music Plant level, flawless now)

If and when I do upgrade them for the kids is it better to use an old blank non HC card (SD instead of SDHC) ?

Also is it possible to downgrade back to the older firmware ? I understand the need to back up the NAND memory to the computer via USB before upgrading or it will be wiped out.

mystique said:
Mr.TwisT said:
Performance Update:

If and when I do upgrade them for the kids is it better to use an old blank non HC card (SD instead of SDHC) ?

Also is it possible to downgrade back to the older firmware ? I understand the need to back up the NAND memory to the computer via USB before upgrading or it will be wiped out.

If you have a SD card I advise to use it instead of a SDHC card.
Yes, it's posible to downgrade to an older version of the firmware.

Just finished the upgrade from firmware 1.0.1 to 1.2.1. All went as others described, messed up Upgrading Firmware screen, but the progress bar moved. After a while, reboot and all is good. Looks like a nice improvement on the screen tearing. Only problem I have noticed is I can't mount the nand any longer on my Linux box (before upgrade I could). I'll have to try windows and see if it shows up there.

penars said:

Huh? Please tell us the exact process of the upgrade, from the beginning in order for us to see what went wrong.

Might try it now on one of them. I got the NAND backed up to the computer. I wonder if GPH would take offense to someone posting the standard 1.1.x NAND memory/games to the openhandhelds forum for those that forgot to do so ? That way they could restore their built in/came with stuff to their Wiz. I never stored anything there but what it came with but don't want to lose it. Maybe somebody who is in contact with them could do that ?

Gonna put the 1.2.1 on an old 2GB SD card (Non-HC) and give it a try. Cross your fingers or whatever for me.

Edit: Upgrade went find using the old SD card on the first one. I'm sorry x68000 about the double accounts but he said if I wanted to "talk" here to make my own. I thought it better than trying to just use his existing one. He said if you want you can delete his account/membership.

He didn't want me to do this but said it's maybe those using HC cards to upgrade are why they are not seeing the bar complete. Sometimes a partial works on certain SDHC brands etc and sometimes it doesn't. I'd like to know the opinions of all of you too. He did get me some nice V-day presents.

I listen to him and I listen to those of you here. I don't care if it makes him mad sometimes. Everything is working under the new firmware that was working before the kids played (so far).

SONY said:
penars said:

Huh? Please tell us the exact process of the upgrade, from the beginning in order for us to see what went wrong.
I backread on all the updating threads to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.

(1) Formatted an old, good 1GB SD card to FAT.
(2) Unzipped the update files to that card.
(3) Booted up the Wiz holding up R until the firmware upgrade prompt appeared.
(4) It was stuck on the "Firmware Upgrading" screen for about an hour. I read that this process should only take ten-fifteen minutes, so I figured something must have gone wrong.
(5) I read a post on this thread about some dude restarting his Wiz while the firmware update process froze, so I thought I'd be fine and restarted the Wiz.

So upon booting up I get greeted with a black screen. The power light shows up as blue, but everything else is non-functional. Reading back on some of the old threads, it seems like my Wiz got bricked. Huge bummer. Now I need to hunt for a serial cable or something and start the unbricking process... Too bad I'm no good at soldering stuff.

penars said:
SONY said:
penars said:

I backread on all the updating threads to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.

(1) Formatted an old, good 1GB SD card to FAT.
(2) Unzipped the update files to that card.
(4) It was stuck on the "Firmware Upgrading" screen for about an hour. I read that this process should only take ten-fifteen minutes, so I figured something must have gone wrong.
(5) I read a post on this thread about some dude restarting his Wiz while the firmware update process froze, so I thought I'd be fine and restarted the Wiz.

So upon booting up I get greeted with a black screen. The power light shows up as blue, but everything else is non-functional. Reading back on some of the old threads, it seems like my Wiz got bricked. Huge bummer. Now I need to hunt for a serial cable or something and start the unbricking process... Too bad I'm no good at soldering stuff.

That sucks .. why I was so afaid of doing this. I used an old Lexar 2GB SD card that worked in our camera when almost nothing else would work consistently (Formatted FAT not FAT32). Maybe it's a matter of the card and brand on doing this ? I know that camera was a picky SOB until we got that particular one to use with it recommended by the manufacturer. All the cards would work but often we'd have to use the computer to see the pictures the camera could not. Now with that card it always works great. Maybe the Wiz is the same way on what it likes in SD or SDHC ? My upgrade completed in 5 mins with no problems on the older firmware Wiz from Thinkgeek. I have not upgraded the newer one from the GP2X store yet.

Yeah that sucks bad,
i am not going to upgrade just yet not down to penars problem but down to the fact that everything works ok on the old firmware so there is no need to move to the new one unless there is a major improvement.

Mr.TwisT said:
You can let go of the R button as soon as it says "Firmware Upgrade"

Yup .. and I'm a blonde :)

Upgrade: (inserted the the SD card with the upgrade in the root directory .. 2GB Lexar formatted in FAT and loaded there via PC from the openhandhelds download)

Let go of the R button after the first upgrading firmware screen, then it went blank for a few seconds, then it went to the next upgrading screen with the red bar at the top, then I got the Upgrade complete screen after about 5 minutes with the red bar fully complete. Rebooted, reloaded the NAND memory via USB (previously saved), turned off, put in the old 16GB SDHC card, turned back on and everything was as before.

I did a recalibration of the touch screen even though it seemed to work fine without it.

Misty

SONY said:
penars said:
There are 2 screens...so you let go of the R button on the second screen, right?

Yeah, I let go of it when it said "Firmware Upgrage" (sp). That's where it got stuck.

I was scared this would brick my wiz but hopefully it didn't. As for changes, I still get the screen tearing in my SDL tests. I haven't tried emuls yet. Also, the accelerated dev examples don't have the tearing anymore (they had it in the past, very characteristically). That's something. I hope it's the same for the emuls. I am wondering what I should do with SDL to not get the tearing though.

Peter R said:
Do you see the GPH logo or anything when you turn on your Wiz?

Nope, just a black screen.

@Everyone, don't think this is FUD and that your Wiz units will brick or anything because of the update, I just think that I had a bum SD card or something went awry with the updating process. Either way, this blows and I'm still trying to figure out what my options are. :(

SONY said:
Make sure your Wiz is off and try upgrading (before powering on hold R) again?

EDIT: Make sure all the firmware files are still in your SD card too.

Nope, screen is off all the way, totally unresponsive. Tried with two different SD cards (formatted with FAT and FAT32), no go. :( Man, this sucks.

P.S. Sorry to dirty up this thread with my problem, I started a new thread here, help would definitely be appreciated: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/51998-so-i-bricked-my-wiz/

Back