Official Blog Post

The dude has a lot to do he can't answer every single personally directed question. If he did he'd have thousands of people to answer questions for at every turn and never get anything done.

a bit off topic: it seems that the pandoras wifi is still better than tat of the ipad :)

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/193579/apple_confirms_ipad_wifi_issues_suggests_fixes.html

I'm guilty of asking questions of the team, although I do it indirectly, however I never _expect_ an answer. The whole team is literally working night and day to get this out to us so I understand that they will not answer my questions directly. But I hope that they take my comments on board if they do see them. Things may be getting a little frayed around here but I've got trust in the team still and I hope I'm as patient as I ever was. We could be at production in a week's time... that's exciting; every video of the OS I see just makes me more and more jealous at how awesome it's all turning out.

EvilDragon said:
ging said:
Ed,
I've asked a straight forward question in the thread twice now as it related to your post about the boards shipping . I did'nt want to start another thread but I'm concerned you've not answered a simple question.

Is the intention to assemble the remaining 3,300 in one go while in the UK from next week after the initial xxx are done? You say you don't know how long it will take to assemble them which is fine but you must have a finite amount of time you guys can devote to time away from your homes and places of work ?

Just looking for straight "we stay till all 4000 are done " or " we disperse at the end of the initial xxx and build them as individuals after that.

Look, anything I do know for sure is posted in the blog.
Everything else would just be speculation - and that's something you can do yourself.
No need to ask the same thing twice or even more often. If I don't answer, I don't know.

So no idea when you are going to dispatch any pandora's after the inital batch then is the answer and using plausible deniability in not answering. Sad really :(.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awakening said:
ED have previously said that he will be traveling back to Germany once or twice per week (IIRC) sounds to me like he plans to be a part of the whole 4000, or as many as possible anyway. I imagine they will keep assembly going 7 days a week until all 4000 are completed, probably with people coming and going.

I think the trip to Scotland was to find a factory that could populate the boards. I think Craig will have invested too much into that town hall to not continue using it. Unless of course he is only renting the machines etc for the first batch.

Not a dig at you at all but "You Imagine". Well I'm pretty sure the OP team have a plan but they are not sharing it with us. That's the problem I have. With any projects you have "Known Unknowns" but in this case ED's is saying that in replying he says its "Uknown" what is happening. As a vested interest in the product I would like to know when I will recive the Pandora.

mali said:
^ ED does a pretty good job regarding communication and some things are really so obvious that you can find out yourself ;)

What is obvious to you then ? When will the final Pandora of the original 4000 ship then ?

ging said:
So no idea when you are going to dispatch any pandora's after the inital batch then is the answer and using plausible deniability in not answering. Sad really :( .

WTF, aren't all first batch boards being populated in TX & sent in batches to UK for assembly into cases? Your question is common sense here, no population of boards in UK just final assembly and mod of resistors on first 700. Sad? Your overall illiteracy of these forums is. Batch 2 population is probable in Scotland after first 4000, possibility?

Link

EDIT: iphone killed quotes in a AT&t 1bar zone. Sorry

Dead1nside said:
I'm guilty of asking questions of the team, although I do it indirectly, however I never _expect_ an answer. The whole team is literally working night and day to get this out to us so I understand that they will not answer my questions directly. But I hope that they take my comments on board if they do see them. Things may be getting a little frayed around here but I've got trust in the team still and I hope I'm as patient as I ever was. We could be at production in a week's time... that's exciting; every video of the OS I see just makes me more and more jealous at how awesome it's all turning out.

To put things into perspective, I am not frayed around the edges. I was a customer of Craig back in the late 1990's before Pandora and the GP32 days. There has been this underlying current, since the problem with the cases, of a lack of "transparency" for a want of a better word about the project. People who want the Pandora are 100% supportive of the team and only want the project to benefit the OP creators. I am one of those. The problem I have since around Xmas is I see the same kind of manouvering that I get from people who work for me who don't want to tell me what is going on, or something is not right". I'd rather be told the truth than half truths. If I did'nt want a product I would'nt pay up for something that did'nt exsist. I can take it just be "Open" as that what the concept is about.

If ED gives you the wrong answer now he gets torn apart later, the team get called liars etc. It's been on the record for some time that the team would be there at the beginning:
craigix said:
... the whole team will be there at least for the start of it.

@ging

Well, I'm in the 250-350 range, and I'm not sure I'll see mine anytime soon. I also have 2 other orders. One is near the end, and the other I would guess is at the very end. If assembly started tommorow, there is no way to know when your unit may or may not ship. Anyone here whos has followed this project for any amount of time will tell you "Know One Knows" any specifics!

Nintendo, can say they are producing 10,000 DS's a day, but there is no way to know when they will trickle into the retail stream and reach a specific person and or location.

We have all been on a 2 month finish cycle since christmas of 2008. I would now say we are on a 2 week cycle, but that 2 weeks may go on until Christmas 2010. There is just no way to know what you are asking. It is just unknown. Ed is very informative, and really the most details specific guy around. The only facts as of today is that they have asked that the cases and boards be shipped ASAP! This stuff may arrive next week, and in 2 weeks Pandoras start to ship.

If your order is 3750 in the line, who can say when cases/boards 3750 may or may not arrive. I'm not convinced 500-1000 will ship anytime soon, so asking about orders at the end of the line is just not going to get any accurate answers. If you want a guess, I'll give you one and say unit 4000 will be shipping by august 2010. If your unit arrives before then, it's just icing on your cake! :p

Chris

jumpman said:
@ging

Well, I'm in the 250-350 range, and I'm not sure I'll see mine anytime soon. I also have 2 other orders. One is near the end, and the other I would guess is at the very end. If assembly started tommorow, there is no way to know when your unit may or may not ship. Anyone here whos has followed this project for any amount of time will tell you "Know One Knows" any specifics!

Nintendo, can say they are producing 10,000 DS's a day, but there is no way to know when they will trickle into the retail stream and reach a specific person and or location.

We have all been on a 2 month finish cycle since christmas of 2008. I would now say we are on a 2 week cycle, but that 2 weeks may go on until Christmas 2010. There is just no way to know what you are asking. It is just unknown. Ed is very informative, and really the most details specific guy around. The only facts as of today is that they have asked that the cases and boards be shipped ASAP! This stuff may arrive next week, and in 2 weeks Pandoras start to ship.

If your order is 3750 in the line, who can say when cases/boards 3750 may or may not arrive. I'm not convinced 500-1000 will ship anytime soon, so asking about orders at the end of the line is just not going to get any accurate answers. If you want a guess, I'll give you one and say unit 4000 will be shipping by august 2010. If your unit arrives before then, it's just icing on your cake! :p

Chris
Maybe it's because I project manage that I don't get the methodology that is going on with the OP project ? You have people like ED and Mr Weston and the devs who have such dedication and then there is this whole uneasy acceptance that everything is ok with the project and how it's evolved over time and it's better to say as little as possible so you don't upset the massses. Craig's past updates that are so obtuse I wonder if some other team members are slapping their foreheads in the background :D

Awakening said:
ED have previously said that he will be traveling back to Germany once or twice per week (IIRC) sounds to me like he plans to be a part of the whole 4000, or as many as possible anyway. I imagine they will keep assembly going 7 days a week until all 4000 are completed, probably with people coming and going.

I think the trip to Scotland was to find a factory that could populate the boards. I think Craig will have invested too much into that town hall to not continue using it. Unless of course he is only renting the machines etc for the first batch.

To me it would make more sense to disperse the assembly process into seperate locales. You would only need a small amount of space to assemble the Pandora's. For me personaly if I knew Craig was responsible for making mine I would bribe him with Vodka to speed up the process and bump mine up the line :D

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with asking a question you want the answer to. I do it all the time, if some get upset, that is there problem. I agree that sometime the info is just not as detailed as it could be, but the team has been burned so many times. There are just very gun shy at this point.

If they give a specific date, and it doesn't pan out, they get chewed out by the masses, but then they keep there cards close to there chest, and they still get ripped a new one. It's a lose/lose situation. I would also love to hear unit 4000 will be shipping on "X" date, but that is just not realistic based on all the current situations!

Chris

jumpman said:
@ging
That would be disturbing. Once the first 500 are produced;
- No more tweaking of cases. You know what you get, how many and when. Any decent production company should be able to tell you when production is finished with hourly precision;
- You know how many boards can be produced per week;
- You know how long it takes to assemble Pandoras;
- etc.

Only unknown is shipping. You've got things like track and trace, but this hugely depends on what carrier was chosen. But in my experience it depends on how well you pay, e.g. be cheap and use the national post services -> screwed. Use UPS or the likes and you'll have things in your hands in days. No idea how stuff is shipped though. But once shipped you know it has. No more guessing (unless you've send it uninsured and el cheapo...)

Long story short, once the first 500 are shipped I don't think it's unrealistic to get an exact week number when specific ranges get shipped.

jumpman said:
Yeah, there is nothing wrong with asking a question you want the answer to. I do it all the time, if some get upset, that is there problem. I agree that sometime the info is just not as detailed as it could be, but the team has been burned so many times. There are just very gun shy at this point.

If they give a specific date, and it doesn't pan out, they get chewed out by the masses, but then they keep there cards close to there chest, and they still get ripped a new one. It's a lose/lose situation. I would also love to hear unit 4000 will be shipping on "X" date, but that is just not realistic based on all the current situations!

Chris

From reading replies that consist of "Ship the damn thing and I'm cancelling" I'd say over 90% of people are totally supportive of the OP team. Asking for an estimated ship date, which is not what I asked, I agree is pretty pointless as the team can't say. What they should be able to say is what is going to happen after the initial assembly of the already completed boards. Not knowing at this stage of assembly planning is plain wrong to me. The conclusion I draw from this is they do a plan and a minority are not going to like it as there will be more "delays" if they announce it.

Personaly I don't see me getting a Pandora until middle of summer at the earliest, which I'm fine with.

ging said:
The conclusion I draw from this is they do a plan and a minority are not going to like it as there will be more "delays" if they announce it.
?

Too much speculation, imo.

Back