Official Blog Post

You claim WiFi issues have been resolved.

Should I read this as that you believe 606 KB/s is a decent speed for 802.11g or that you're confident that the remaining speed improvements are all software related?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad that MWeston managed to achieve a usable WiFi speed. However, we ordered a device with an 802.11b/g chip, not just an 802.11b.

EvilDragon said:
In best case, yes. However, there was a stability issue that caused the cases to be delayed until 26th (I did post that somewhere in a thread).
And on that date, we already knew something was up with WiFi and gave them more time :)
I know, I'm just poking fun at expectations. :p
I know they'll ship eventually, but it just seems like some kind of messed up Zeno's paradox thing. They say it'll take 3 months. 3 months later it'll be another 1.5 months. 1.5 months later it's .75 months... They'll ship end of this week, end of the week comes they'll ship middle of next week. Middle of next week, they'll ship in two days. Two days later, they'll ship tomorrow. Tomorrow they'll ship in 12 hours. 12 hours they'll ship in 6 hours... 30 minutes, they'll have it shipped in 15... Whoops, they're closed. Try again tomorrow. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
With all these and definitive upcoming delays, and with the time needed for every resistor fix and assembly plus shipping time, i suppose nr. ~1500 where i'm probably at right now won't find its way to me before, let me guess, two months....?

Caine said:
You claim WiFi issues have been resolved.

Should I read this as that you believe 606 KB/s is a decent speed for 802.11g or that you're confident that the remaining speed improvements are all software related?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad that MWeston managed to achieve a usable WiFi speed. However, we ordered a device with an 802.11b/g chip, not just an 802.11b.

If you read the blog, you could see that MWeston only did tests with normal internet yet (5Mbps line, as I know now), so he as long as he doesn't setup a connection between his server and the Pandora, he probably can't squeeze out more of it.
He is also still working on tweaking and managed speed doubling in about four hours.

Until all tests have been finished, we can't say more about that.

If the speed is not sufficient enough for you, you probably need to wait for a later revision.

It's enough for normal internet surfing, video streaming, Audio streaming, Messenging, etc.

Sometimes I do wonder what you guys are planning to do with your Pandora...?

Last edited:
Wolfsclaw said:
With all these and definitive upcoming delays, and with the time needed for every resistor fix and assembly plus shipping time, i suppose nr. ~1500 where i'm probably at right now won't find its way to me before, let me guess, two months....?

No need asking questions over and over again that nobody can answer, is there?

Longest time is probably taking assembly, so until we got a bit of routine assembling the Pandoras there's no way to tell how fast we can assemble.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Use the wireless for WLAN.
606 KB might be fine if I'm downloading a webpage, but I seriously intend to be moving files back and forth, at least some of the time. Hopefully there's no latency issues, too, I want SSH to be smooth.

EvilDragon said:
Wolfsclaw said:

Longest time is probably taking assembly, so until we got a bit of routine assembling the Pandoras there's no way to tell how fast we can assemble.

I refer to the quesiton I posed above. Is the intention to assemble the remaining 3,300 in one go while in the UK from next week ?

EvilDragon said:

New question -- when are people planning on doing things like... buying tickets to fly to the UK?

If downloading large files over WiFi is too slow (I never expect WiFi to be reliable nor secure due to my tin foil hat), I'm going to copy them to SDHC directly on my PC instead.

Edit: Or maybe over OTG, if that proves to run at a nice speed.

I'm happy that progress is happening so quickly on the wifi fix (you're awesome MWeston!) however I really do hope MWeston has enough time to try and get it so that the 802.11g spec is the only limiting factor on the Wifi. The speed improvement is really good, but if it's at all possible to fix it completely so it works at the practical limits of 802.11g around 10-20Mbps then that'd be great.

I was a bit saddened when you said that if you want faster than that, perhaps you should wait for the next batch. I just hope MWeston can perfect it in time. I understand at the moment you've got quite a few stressed customers, and you're all working so hard on it. I just think it's worth a week or so if needs be. God knows we've waited for the cases forever.

On the cases, what was the discolouration you mentioned? I haven't noticed any in the pictures. If it's about that outline of the internal structure on the case, I'm pretty satisfied that all the incremental improvements up to now will have improved it enough for it to be acceptable.

Thanks ED and Craig for channeling this new information and obviously to Notaz and MWeston doing the head scratching.

EvilDragon said:
If you read the blog, you could see that MWeston only did tests with normal internet yet (5Mbps line, as I know now), so he as long as he doesn't setup a connection between his server and the Pandora, he probably can't squeeze out more of it.
Agreed, for a 5Mbps internet line 606KB/s is a really nice score. Sorry, for not thoroughly reading the blog. This actually gives me confidence that the problem has indeed been solved. Peculiar choice to test speed with online sites though. Anyway, I'm looking forward to his internal speed tests.

If the speed is not sufficient enough for you, you probably need to wait for a later revision.
Heh, it's not so much a matter of not being enough as a wish to get a fully working WiFi chip without further hardware defects. After waiting so long for the Pandora, I would hate to part with it for a week to have the board replaced.

It's enough for normal internet surfing, video streaming, Audio streaming, Messenging, etc.
Haha, I am sometimes wondering that myself. The more I wonder the longer the list becomes :D

It's a matter of lack of patience I suppose. I'll be using WiFi more to get access to my home network and move around data than browsing online. For instance, I just want my Pandora to synchronize with downloaded video content on my home server as quickly as possible.

MooTheKow said:
EvilDragon said:

New question -- when are people planning on doing things like... buying tickets to fly to the UK?

Fatih already got a ticket, I have to wait until hockey season is over here (we're currently in the playoffs) as I do live video mixing there.
I'm probably joining assembly later.

Dead1nside said:
I was a bit saddened when you said that if you want faster than that, perhaps you should wait for the next batch. I just hope MWeston can perfect it in time. I understand at the moment you've got quite a few stressed customers, and you're all working so hard on it. I just think it's worth a week or so if needs be. God knows we've waited for the cases forever.

Well, what should we tell you? If WiFi is completely fixable, you're fine :)
If it will be usable for almost all things I can imagine I want to use it for, but not fullspeed and you really NEED it fullspeed, there's no other thing than either waiting or use a WiFi dongle. We are no magicians :)

On the cases, what was the discolouration you mentioned? I haven't noticed any in the pictures. If it's about that outline of the internal structure on the case, I'm pretty satisfied that all the incremental improvements up to now will have improved it enough for it to be acceptable.

Yep, it was that outline.

Last edited:
This is good news indeed. I didn't preorder so of course my comment I am about to make will make more sense. I am hoping someone releases something similar to the Pandora but with better specs. I know this isn't going to happen so I am only dreaming, but it would be nice for a device with the same layout as the Pandora to come out but have better specs. So I am going to hold off on the Pandora untill its out to buy without preorder or wait for a device with better specs but same exact concept (AKA Pandora 2) .

This post is by no means downing the Pandora, I am simply admitting I have no money and can't drop $330 on something I don't get ASAP and I wish I could but my Fiance would kick my ass. I have a laptop I am considering selling as it is too big and I primilary use it has my Emulator machine. Its the Dell Inspiron 1720 with T7200 Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM, 160GB 7200RPM hard drive, and 256MB 8600GT. I know the Pandora pales in comparison to that but I would use the Pandora mainly has an linux gaming/emulator handheld.

excuse me, but changing board manufacturers between prototyping and production sounds like begging for trouble.

well, anyway. glad you found it.

EvilDragon said:
I can tell what I turned out to do _in practice_[1] with my N800.. I suddenly find myself with a full SD card in my camera, and no spare card available. But there's space on a computer I can reach through wi-fi via my N800. So I take the card out of the camera and insert into the external slot on the N800, and then I do a 'curl -T' (push) for all the files in the DCIM folder on the card. When everything is copied over I clean out the card and re-insert into the camera. Then I drive into the bush to photograph giraffes and cheetas and such.

That did take a while to do.. so the faster it goes, the better! :)

EDIT: [1] i.e. not something I had _planned_.. but it turned out to be a use case I hadn't thought of, but an important one still.

-Tor

Those cases are going to be the death of me.

Where are you getting the "606KB/s" from?

In the quoted post I see 350KB/s max and 66KB/s steady.

EDIT:
It was mentioned in Twittter.
I am content with 606KB/s (I guess it is still hope for even more) ;)

Thanks guys for informing me.

EvilDragon said:
Hmm, good Question. ^^ How fast can YOU assemble a complete Pandora including sensitive LCD-ribbon-roll? ;)

Back