Official Blog Post: What The Bloody 'ell Happened?

fischju2000

http://www.open-pandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=152%3Awhat-the-bloody-ell-happened&catid=2%3Ablog&Itemid=2&lang=en

Nope, we're not playing Lemmings, but I guess a lot of you wanted to know what happened to those cases.

Well, we too wanted to know - the last status update we had was that they were shipping on January 15th and therefore we assumed the cases should have arrived last week.
Unfortunately, Fatih had business to do in Dubai... and he is the only one the Chinese actually do talk to (except for if they encounter any problems, then they also send a mail to Michael. But they didn't do that).

So we didn't know until he returned a few days ago that the cases hadn't been shipped yet, they were still working and tweaking as they really wanted to make sure this will be the last case they need to send to us before we start the mass production.
We're still trying to find out the complete story of what happened and why there was another delay. A friend of Fatih (who can speak chinese) will help us here, as communication with them isn't easy, and there might even have been some misunderstandings, etc.

Whoever does think that that company is a small, cheap company that only tries to rip us off:
Nope, that's definately not true. Fatih has been working with them since years. Also, they created some other parts for the Pandora which have been finished long ago and didn't make any problems. It just seems the case was much more complex than they had thought.
Some of their other customers are Sanyo and Toyota and they have been established 1998, so one thing we know: They are reliable... but (as it is the case with many chinese companies): They do need some time to finish it off.

So, rest assured, the cases aren't screwed, we just don't know yet when exactly they will arrive. We have been promised they will ship enough mass produced cases before the chinese new year. I leave it to you whether you want to believe it or not - I just will pray it will be true.

So much for the cae situation. I hope you can now understand why we chose that company. Believe us, it's a pretty annoying feeling having everything setup for mass assembly and then wait in anticipation for the cases.

Oh, I have one more information that will probably make second batchers happy: We already ordered the parts for the second batch to decrease the waiting time.

Finally, some small OS informations:

* We got a new WiFi driver, thanks to Palm :) We'll need to test it out more, but it should work better than the one we have.
* pmenu is finally working fine in the image, so we have an almost completely working image (for a first release) ready.
* We also did a quick try with the Ubuntu netbook-launcher-efl. It compiled and worked nicely. Only the icons were missing, but that's because it uses the Human icons from Ubuntu which we haven't installed yet. The nice thing about it is that it does support finger scrolling. It might not make it into the first release, but I doubt it will take long until it will be included into an update. I personally prefer XFCE4 and pmenu though :)

Mostly what has been said on the boards, though I hope that more information about the case manufacturers will put some people's fears to rest. 3 weeks or under seems reasonable enough for delivery of mass production cases.

DroneB Dev said:
HEY ED!

can you ask FATIH if knows "Carlos" from colombia? or "David" from Polyprint Co.?
if so tell im the translator that is always on the another side.
and i lost the QQ account

yes the odds that we are talking with the same "FATIH" are low but why not to try?
EDIT:
Correction, i always do misspell that name srry.
Did you check his profile? It might help you guess if you know him. Fatih seems to be a common turkish name, heck, there's an uncle fatih pizza place just dowsn the block from me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats the iPhone game CraigiX made???? (mentioned on pandorapress blog)
Is it an appstore release or a JailBreak/Cydia release?

The game is called Wizzley Presto and the Mysterious Time Machine, and it will be on the appstore. More info here- http://www.30daygame.com/.

Thank You!
Perfect link too! Esp if anyone wants to make an iPhone game for release on appstore.
I'd rather release via Cydia - That's just me ;)

:pandora2ut4:

ffffuuuu.jpg

Well I spoke with my wife and Chinese New Years is on the 14th. They get a 2 week break which starts 4 days before New Years. I don't like dates but Feb. 10th should be when the factory closes.

Pandora is nice. this is a good happy place for pandora to be. We should all smile and laugh and play with our pandoras when it's out. Then we can all be happy people that smile and be happy. Ah, life is good

* We got a new WiFi driver, thanks to Palm :) We'll need to test it out more, but it should work better than the one we have.

Great news :) I hope it has power saving features included.

Whenever I listen to this, it just reminds me of OP and this forum.

torpor said:
I'm .. slowly .. going .. MAD. CRAZY. LOONY.

-'er ..

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/51631-the-therapists-office/

lol @ the board abbr. "...rapists office"

Nope, we're not playing Lemmings, but I guess a lot of you wanted to know what happened to those cases.

Well, we too wanted to know - the last status update we had was that they were shipping on January 15th and therefore we assumed the cases should have arrived last week.

Firstly you forget we saw the email. Craig posted it. There was NO promise in that email that the cases would ship on 15th. It simply said that they hoped that they would be ready for 15th.

If you still haven't learned NOT to assume then I really, really worry for the future of your business.

Unfortunately, Fatih had business to do in Dubai... and he is the only one the Chinese actually do talk to

This is just ridiculous. You are their customer. You need to make damned well sure that they DO talk to you. If that involves Fatih, as initial contact with the company, having to authorize it first then so be it. I simply cannot accept that you've been working with this company for nearly a year now and only have 1 person who's able to deal with them. What if, god forbid, something were to happen to Fatih and he was unable to speak to the company for whatever reason? There are plenty of other what-if's I' could go into but wont as I trust you are all working on a system of utmost good faith in each other, but anyway, this excuse is ludicrous. It's another example of the OP making a fudge-up and trying to pass the blame onto a third party.

Pleng said:

Firstly you forget we saw the email. Craig posted it. There was NO promise in that email that the cases would ship on 15th. It simply said that they hoped that they would be ready for 15th.

If you still haven't learned NOT to assume then I really, really worry for the future of your business.

Unfortunately, Fatih had business to do in Dubai... and he is the only one the Chinese actually do talk to

This is just ridiculous. You are their customer. You need to make damned well sure that they DO talk to you. If that involves Fatih, as initial contact with the company, having to authorize it first then so be it. I simply cannot accept that you've been working with this company for nearly a year now and only have 1 person who's able to deal with them. What if, god forbid, something were to happen to Fatih and he was unable to speak to the company for whatever reason? There are plenty of other what-if's I' could go into but wont as I trust you are all working on a system of utmost good faith in each other, but anyway, this excuse is ludicrous. It's another example of the OP making a fudge-up and trying to pass the blame onto a third party.
I just got done watching the series that SONY keeps posting (which was very good). One of the Chinese called business in China like the wild wild west. I don't see why you're being such a hardass.

Back