Official Blog Post: What The Bloody 'ell Happened?

peca said:
Paradox said:
didn't weston say they had been given tracking numbers? what the heck?
IIRC it was CraigIX who say this. And it can be true. Remember that language (and I guess more culture and social) barrier.

Nope, as fas I remember he said he's gonna ask for a tracking number, we never got one.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
peca said:
Paradox said:
didn't weston say they had been given tracking numbers? what the heck?
IIRC it was CraigIX who say this. And it can be true. Remember that language (and I guess more culture and social) barrier.

Nope, as fas I remember he said he's gonna ask for a tracking number, we never got one.

He can be inscrutible. He has said:

craigix said:
Gruso said:
WolfSpider said:
craigix said:
They do give us tracking numbers but they never work until the package is delivered. DHL I think.
So it hasn't even been shipped yet?
If they've got a tracking number, then it's been shipped. Craig is saying that the number isn't really good for anything until the package lands in (in this case) Canada.

Right. I think some other company gets it to Canada, then it shows up on the DHL system.

Which could lead one to believe he has been given tracking numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ED: It would actually be nice if you told us _where_ the new Palm provided wifi driver is...
I'm often interested in reading source code :p

I'm sure Craig's 30 day game was 30 MAN days....

Looks like we'll get our pandoras in a while then, at some point anyway...

...yawm, bored now. Have fun moaning about it all ;)

kuru said:
A few more infos from ED taken from a post at the German boards, roughly translated by me.

A few more infos:

And that's what we're hoping for, it's about time! If we would have expexted all that China razzmatazz we encountered, we maybe would have taken out a loan to produce the cases somewhere else. For those interested: In China we pay about 20.000 USD for the molds, every other company we inquired at was at a minimum of 130.000 USD. A price we could not afford. Luckily we produced nothing but the cases in China.

Well, let's hope for the best. This last step has to be feasible!

Sorry if someone has already done this, can't be arsed to browse the board these days.

Edited for errors.

Wow! That is one hell of a massive arse saving of 110,000 USD! If the cases come out fine, then the Chinese option was a sensible move.

IIRC and making use of experience, that would be the cost of a single big mould and we need atleast 4 or 5??

well, since i am here in china (5 years) i learnt to be patient. And I hope everybody will do it.
just for information the Chinese Spring Festival will occure on feb 13th. that means from 7 days to 21 days off depend of company.
so let pray cos if they did not ship case before the 13th ...

And while all of this as gone on, Engadget is now reporting that the new Apple iPad's processor the A4 is (unconfirmed) actually a Cortex A9 @1Ghz possible multicore. I thought it was supposed to take a long time for those to reach market. Oh, yeah, it HAS been a long time. Let's just hope we get our Pandora's before too much longer. I want THIS project to succeed and that can only happen if it gets out the door before gadget lust makes something else more attractive. Thankfully, nothing else is...yet.

Poem58 said:
And while all of this as gone on, Engadget is now reporting that the new Apple iPad's processor the A4 is (unconfirmed) actually a Cortex A9 @1Ghz possible multicore. I thought it was supposed to take a long time for those to reach market. Oh, yeah, it HAS been a long time. Let's just hope we get our Pandora's before too much longer. I want THIS project to succeed and that can only happen if it gets out the door before gadget lust makes something else more attractive. Thankfully, nothing else is...yet.

True, but I don't think the Ipad will be THAT great for games.. Its not exactly portable... Nor does it have a gaming interface. There's little comparison really. I'd use a pandora for gaming and the Ipad for everything else. So yes, i will probably get one. I mean shit, i can read virtual books, how cool is that!

Oh, by the way. Your pic of the cat really annoys me haha :p

shunun said:
Poem58 said:

True, but I don't think the Ipad will be THAT great for games.. Its not exactly portable... Nor does it have a gaming interface. There's little comparison really. I'd use a pandora for gaming and the Ipad for everything else. So yes, i will probably get one. I mean shit, i can read virtual books, how cool is that!

Oh, by the way. Your pic of the cat really annoys me haha :p

I was not trying to say the Apple device was anything at all, so yeah gaming on one would be just like an Iphone I guess, i was talking about the A9's possible already hitting the market.
If they are, how long before something is announced, or actually comes out while we are waiting that puts a dent in our demographic here?

And the cat annoys me too, but it was kinda silly funny. I just found a new one to replace it a day or so ago I'll change it now.No I don't have a fixation with cats it's just coincidental I found back to back goofy cat avatars.

Yeah, a dual core processor for a single tasking OS.

LMAO
static.gif

mali said:
Yeah, a dual core processor for a single tasking OS.

LMAO
static.gif

but it still has one...

You never know, they may use it for something. They did say there'll be a huge new range of apps specifically for the IPad, so if devs want to use the dual core, at least it's there.

shunun said:
but it still has one...

You never know, they may use it for something. They did say there'll be a huge new range of apps specifically for the IPad, so if devs want to use the dual core, at least it's there.

Real life is what counts, not specs on paper or worse, rumors on Engadget ;)

It certainly seems to be 1GHz:

Processor
1GHz Apple A4 custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

but multi-core (really? Not just "dual core" but "multi-core", like it could be a quad or something?) seems unlikely - or they would surely have touted that already. This is of interest:

Windows system requirements
PC with USB 2.0 port
Windows 7; Windows Vista; or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later

So - it's supposedly Windows XP compatible. Does Microsoft have an ARM-compatible port of XP? Or Vista and 7 for that matter?

Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music

Steve said something like "it's got to be BETTER at something than either phones or notebooks, to get a market - and netbooks aren't better at anything". Well, this COULD be better at surfing the web and/or wastching movies, with a 10 hour battery life *with WiFi in use*.

It's not small enough for me, unless the touchscreen is great for use as a hires graphics tablet - and that isn't there yet from Steve Jobs said.

Built-in 3G and GPS beat Pandora, as does the accelerometer - but missing all the physical controls of the Pandora.

It DOES add another nail in the "dated" feel to the Pandora - but all the most attracive ladies get dated a lot :D

Monk, you are mixing some things. More than one is multi, so a dual core _is_ a multi core. Those Windows specs you listed are for the host you want to connect the iPad to. 10h surfing is what current netbooks do and they do a hell lot of other things also, that iPad users can only dream of ;)

To sum it up, the iPad is a heavy ebook reader without e-ink screen. After this boring release, those Tegra2 tablets might be a really big deal compared to the iPad :D

Back