Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

I got an Humble Bundle for Android (only because the PC-ports were included)

and have absolutely no experience with smartphones or other Android systems,

so I got a simple question and would be thankful, if you guys could answer me that:

Is it possible to use the Shield without having any Google marketplace or whatever account, just by loading apks into it?

I never was online with my 3DS-XL and would not buy a game or gamesystem, were you are forced to this, so it matters to me.

(Yeah, I'm one of that "on principle" guys, no need to comment that ;) .

Second question: I read, that it needs micro sd (yuck), what is the biggest card datawise you can use with it?
Can't guarantee this for the Shield... but I have a number of other Android devices so expect to be the same case.

You don't _have_ to create a gmail/google account to use the device, you need to though if you want to access the Google Play store to d/l apps and games though.

So, I'd imagine you can source an .APK of another app place, like 1mobile, and then d/l from there.

Or of course just get the .APK for any apps you want.

Android comes with an option within its settings to allow installation of .APK from unknown sources - which includes direct from your memory card

I'd be interested in someone confirming this is correct too.
If you mean 'side loading' apps then yes that is possible with .apk files on the Shield.

Last edited:

so I got a simple question and would be thankful, if you guys could answer me that:

Is it possible to use the Shield without having any Google marketplace or whatever account, just by loading apks into it?

I never was online with my 3DS-XL and would not buy a game or gamesystem, were you are forced to this, so it matters to me.

Second question: I read, that it needs micro sd (yuck), what is the biggest card datawise you can use with it?
Sorry but I have to comment on your "principle" :D .  Can you buy a house without having a bank account?  You put all your money in the bank and the bank keeps all your money.  What's wrong with creating an account with google?  Your bank is not better or Google is not more evil than your bank.

Last edited by a moderator:

As well as side loading you could create a humble bundle account and then install the Humble Bundle App from here and then use the app to install the games and check for & install any updates.

update 59 is live, adds app2sd among other things. 

SETTINGS> ABOUT SHIELD > SYSTEM UPDATES

shield now works with the nvidia shield developer kit, checking out all the fun stuff now :)

shield now works with the nvidia shield developer kit, checking out all the fun stuff now :)
so internal and sd memory are now one kinda like directory bind?

not exactly, the 16GB internal is the default location after it's installed you go to 

SETTINGS > APPS > choose your desired app

and on the left halfway down the info pane there's an option to "move to sd" and it moves the game data to external microsd card

It's about time...I was maxed out internally.

Sorry but I have to comment on your "principle" :D . Can you buy a house without having a bank account? You put all your money in the bank and the bank keeps all your money. What's wrong with creating an account with google? Your bank is not better or Google is not more evil than your bank.
In my opinion google is more evil than any bank on this planet. Probably more than even the banks combined.

Haven't given that a go yet.

I can report that if anyone wants a top notch shooter buy AlphaWave from the Shield store for only .99 USD. Combines many elements of different shooters. It also looks,sounds and controls great on the Shield.

Last edited:
Back