Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

Isn't the issue re: not being able to store games on uSD an Android issue.  Every other Android device I've seen seems to have this same issue. Even the Ouya has this issue.  Ouya is still trying to work out a way for people to be able to put games on external storage. Pretty big issue for them , as there revenue is based on game sales , and if someone has maxed there Ouya storage it means no more game sales. There is an ongoing thread about it over on their forum.
That's why OpenPandora is cool. No BS like this :)
Yeah, we just had broken nubs, cracked cases, bad lcd cables, missing screws, more than 2-3 returns per the average user.

I guess not being able to access your full sd card could be considered BS :p

Chris

But those are mechanical problems which all machines will eventually have, just with different degree of brokenness. The BS I'm talking about here is the restriction in freedom. What the F is that that you can't even move your games, which you paid real money for, wherever you want?

I've heard of people creating manual symbolic links and moving their data manually. This is exactly like the Pandora with forcing you to use the appdata folder. You can manually fix it and change it to whatever you want but its not user friendly to do so.

If anything the fault is on the app developer for not either bundling their app data in with the apk, or not allowing you to specify where you want the additional data downloaded to.

Last edited by a moderator:
But those are mechanical problems which all machines will eventually have, just with different degree of brokenness. The BS I'm talking about here is the restriction in freedom. What the F is that that you can't even move your games, which you paid real money for, wherever you want?
I understand your point, but "those" problems you refer to happened to many(Hell, everyone to some degree or another)right out of the gate, and happened more than once.

Over my 30+ years of gaming, I've had NO broken analog sticks on any system. I had one broken hinge on my ds, and it cost less than 10 dollars to fix. I also had one PS1 & Dreamcast go out due to the drive mechanism and that was only after years and hundreds of hours of use. Same for my Colecovision, the power supply went out, but only after years and thousands of hours of play. I've probably had over 30 gaming devices over the years and very few have had hardware issues and when they did, it was only after years of steady use, not days.

Having to transfer games back and forth has been a recent problem for me with the Vita, as the 8GB card I bought at launch was no good within a few months. So all systems have their fair share of problems and issues. Some are greater than others and maybe less or more depending on the users point of reference.

My Point? The shield issue is an Android problem yes, but like most Android devices, it will be overcome through some cheat or backdoor method that won't require a single dollar to make happen. I would rather have this one issue, than sending a 330 device back and forth to the UK over and over to fix problems that happened at the start. I love my Pandora as well, but it is far from "PERFECT".

Chris

I understand your point, but "those" problems you refer to happened to many(Hell, everyone to some degree or another)right out of the gate, and happened more than once.

Over my 30+ years of gaming, I've had NO broken analog sticks on any system. I had one broken hinge on my ds, and it cost less than 10 dollars to fix. I also had one PS1 & Dreamcast go out due to the drive mechanism and that was only after years and hundreds of hours of use. Same for my Colecovision, the power supply went out, but only after years and thousands of hours of play. I've probably had over 30 gaming devices over the years and very few have had hardware issues and when they did, it was only after years of steady use, not days.

Having to transfer games back and forth has been a recent problem for me with the Vita, as the 8GB card I bought at launch was no good within a few months. So all systems have their fair share of problems and issues. Some are greater than others and maybe less or more depending on the users point of reference.

My Point? The shield issue is an Android problem yes, but like most Android devices, it will be overcome through some cheat or backdoor method that won't require a single dollar to make happen. I would rather have this one issue, than sending a 330 device back and forth to the UK over and over to fix problems that happened at the start. I love my Pandora as well, but it is far from "PERFECT".

Chris
Ok, don't want to start the argument all over again.  So yeah, let's rest the issue here :D

I do not want to seem rude but I am very busy as of late. I really am not a forum jumper and actually this is the only forum I participate in at all. I belong to no others and prefer it this way.

So with that said...if anyone hears or reads about a 'back door' or 'cheat' method of dealing with this SD card situation then I would deeply appreciate it if they post it here. I am not trying to come off as a moderator. It's just a plea I suppose.

Perhaps an official fix will happen within this month as I was told and that will be that.

BTW,,,if anyone likes tropical cart racing then I suggest Beach Buggy Blitz...it is free and looks stunning. B)

Last edited:
Sine Mora £1.99 on google play jst now
Superb game.

Not sure if it supports the Shield's controller though.

Just reading one comment from one person on the Play store who states that it needs Shield support

Google need to get their act together and have stricter guide lines as far as controls and inputs are concerned maybe controller support should be mandatory and a dedicated mapping tool wouldnt go amiss

Google need to get their act together and have stricter guide lines as far as controls and inputs are concerned maybe controller support should be mandatory and a dedicated mapping tool wouldnt go amiss
Agreed^

Nvidia is a pretty big player in the industry, and if anyone can get some sort of standard going, it will be them. Most of these 1-3 dollar games are only really here for the masses of tablets and phone users, but there is a HUGE subset of real gamers who like to use proper controls, but we are the minority for sure. Even though we've seen several devices with actual physical controls, I don't think most publishers have taken any of them seriously(or care to waste time to implement options for real controls). I'm hopeful Shield can change all of this(fingers crossed).

Chris

stupid question , will  Nvidia's Project Shield play all android games ?

if so are some just not optimized fro the controls?  Bud

Edit : Im looking for a android "console" for my wife's birthday , something better than playing games on her phone....

stupid question , will  Nvidia's Project Shield play all android games ?

if so are some just not optimized fro the controls?  Bud

Edit : Im looking for a android "console" for my wife's birthday , something better than playing games on her phone....
Shield runs everything to my knowledge, the only real issue is "landscape" Vs. "portrait". A tablet can be turned on it's side for portrait games, but it is a little hard to do with the Shield, but it does work. 

If your wife is more casual, you would probably be better off with a HD fire, tablet, or something along those lines If she really likes more serious stuff, and having proper controls, the Shield is the best thing going. Not all games support the Shields physical controls, but there's a very good amount currently and more being added on a regular basis.

For the price, your getting a real beast at performance, where as a standard phone or tablet may be outdated in short order, this thing will run great for years to come.

Chris

Thanks for the fast reply, she needs something with a controller , she has a tablet and still plays on her phone 

.I'm trying to scramble at the last minute to get her something "good" is harder than I thought ,

the Nvidia's Project Shield seems like the only viable choice at this point.. Bud

Thanks for the fast reply, she needs something with a controller , she has a tablet and still plays on her phone 

.I'm trying to scramble at the last minute to get her something "good" is harder than I thought ,

the Nvidia's Project Shield seems like the only viable choice at this point.. Bud
Sure you know the alternatives, but just in case, some other Androids with controls...

Xperia Play phone offers controls, small enough to be pocketable, though not so powerful.

If just want controls and she isn't into the newer titles, might be an alternative.

Cheaper than the Shield and more portable. Around £70 in 2nd hand shops round here I think still.

Archos Gamepad tablet, ~£130 and 7" screen size.

Not the best dpad though.

JXD S7330 tablet, ~£130 too and IMO a nicer bit of hardware than the Archos.

Not as powerful as the Shield either, but a cheaper option if the criteria was just 'physical controls' and 'android'.

As you say though, Shield is the choice, if you can afford to buy that I think it's a great gift and she will love it/you for getting her it :)

I've not actually used one or even seen one myself but hope to pick one up some day. For playing on the sofa when the telly is being claimed I reckon I would get a lot of use from one

Guess I am the only one here with that problem. :eek:
Are you referring to the problem you mentions on post #926 ?

Does seem a bit lame if you can't move to SD, on my old phone with 16GB space I was always having to delete to create space.

Have you got the Shield update #59?

I just read this, which states that this update was released a few days ago now and included that ability:

http://androidcommunity.com/nvidia-shield-update-adds-move-game-to-sd-improved-pc-streaming-20130829/

I know you said you'd tried that process already, of moving to SD and that it didn't really do it, but thinking you might have not had this update and since then it does..

Or you could just buy a controller & Game Keyboard

Works a treat with Sine Mora on my Nexus 7.

From what I can tell, if I owned a shield the first App I would buy would be Game Keyboard.

Android support for controllers is getting slowly better. I can't get my head round why Google have not set up an easy way to configure a controller using their new Play Games app. You could set default & game specific controls in the app and then just load your game and go.

Or you could just buy a controller & Game Keyboard

Works a treat with Sine Mora on my Nexus 7.

From what I can tell, if I owned a shield the first App I would buy would be Game Keyboard.

Android support for controllers is getting slowly better. I can't get my head round why Google have not set up an easy way to configure a controller using their new Play Games app. You could set default & game specific controls in the app and then just load your game and go.
Buying a device and controller doesn't work so well. Gaming battery life is significantly worse with a tablet, the Shield's batter life alone makes it worthwhile. There is input lag with bluetooth. Gaming clips or attachments are also very clunky.

Guess I am the only one here with that problem. :eek:
Are you referring to the problem you mentions on post #926 ?

Does seem a bit lame if you can't move to SD, on my old phone with 16GB space I was always having to delete to create space.

Have you got the Shield update #59?

I just read this, which states that this update was released a few days ago now and included that ability:

http://androidcommunity.com/nvidia-shield-update-adds-move-game-to-sd-improved-pc-streaming-20130829/

I know you said you'd tried that process already, of moving to SD and that it didn't really do it, but thinking you might have not had this update and since then it does..
Update 59 is no good. iF you check storage you will see no game data is actually moved there. Although when in apps you can transfer to SD card it does not really register...only.APK files are movable at this time no data files.

I talked to Nvidia and they said an update for this problem [also with Ouya] is to come sometime this month. I am not talking about PC streaming or Miracast that is something entirely different and yes that aspect was improved. I am talking about transferring game data from either the Shield Tegra Zone store or the Google Playstore....this is not possible.

I know I am not the only Shield owner who has experienced this...perhaps some of you are not aware or don't care. Like I said if you go to your app list and transfer to SD card it will show the transfer was moved however...it really was not. If you then check your storage you will see that no space has been freed internally or transferred  to your SD card!! :(  I did not realize this until I got the first 'no internal storage available' message!!! Currently I am maxed out with my internal storage. 

Back