Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

The Shield in my opinion is everything the Pandora should have been and more.
Well until it has a physical keyboard it isn't. Android?, let me know when it gets a real OS.
If you need a physical keyboard so bad there are options available like this http://www.amazon.com/FE01-BL-Wireless-Keyboard-Mouse-Touchpad/dp/B003UE52ME/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377704300&sr=8-2&keywords=mini+bluetooth+keyboard and this http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Wireless-Keyboard-Android-Smartphone/dp/B0043862N4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1377704300&sr=8-3&keywords=mini+bluetooth+keyboard I have found that Android will pretty much do everything my linux desktop can do.

^ So I have to carry around another separate keyboard on top of lugging around an oversized gaming handheld?

I found with my smartphone that even when you have a keyboard such as those, many of the keys don't work or some PC specific keys are missing or are not properly bound in the app the you are using.. I spend a ton of time using command line things on my Pandora, I don't think the Shield fills that role.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ So I have to carry around another separate keyboard on top of lugging around an oversized gaming handheld?

I found with my smartphone that even when you have a keyboard such as those, many of the keys don't work or some PC specific keys are missing or are not properly bound in the app the you are using.. I spend a ton of time using command line things on my Pandora, I don't think the Shield fills that role.
Yeah!  It's not the same.  If P2 can dual boot Android and Angstrom other full linux OS then it will penetrate the (noobs  :p  ) Android markets as well as nerd (Pandora) markets now  :D  

Surfing the web with the Shield is superior in speed ,functionally and appearance...really.

All the video/flash players work perfectly too.,,and email is a breeze.

Last edited:
Surfing the web with the Shield is superior in speed ,functionally and appearance...really.

I can imagine that. Browser videos are still a problem for the Pandora and if we would not have all these financial problems,

maybe more money would have gone to optimizing our software for things like that.

I can imagine that. Browser videos are still a problem for the Pandora and if we would not have all these financial problems,

maybe more money would have gone to optimizing our software for things like that.
Sigh...It's a shame and is a sad saga really.  :(

The only thing that can turn this around is a P2 as powerful as the Shield or more.....

Yabause (sega saturn) has a port by robert broglia and I tried it, its not that great, but I'm trying to find Roms that actually work on it, most are slideshows however.

There's nulldc (dreamcast) emulator as well that I haven't tried but I'm in possession of, it only plays crazy taxi and the Roms are weird (not straight ISOs) And unless someone can fill me in on the exact story of the leak I'm not going to demo it as I feel the fact it was an unauthorized release is severely disrespectful to drk_raziel or however you say his name

Jealous! I can't even watch 240p Videos on my Pandora because 1. it takes ages to load Youtube and basicly all webpages (even text only ones) and 2. the WiFi of my Pandora is so poor that I can be happy to reach 80kb/s for downloads, streaming is even worse. CPU is so or so always at 100% during browsing, even with OC, even on small webpages (what does it calculate all the time?!?!)I really hope that "Pandora 2" will recieve an usable wifi module and hardware that supports flash better than the Pandora can. ( I actualy don't like flash but as it seems we will stick to this abomination for a looong time).

What browser are you using? I've had no issue with general browsing... but the wifi on my three units are not so bad... I can't recall since the Firefox 20+ it pegging out the CPU. Also Android devices don't use the full desktop version of firefox like we do..

Video playback is another issue, we don't have some commercial grade decoder for h264 videos like most android devices have. I think Flash is garbage, but video playback still needs a good decoder. 

Generally for youtube I use YTDownloader w/webm codec or Minitube now that is working again.

Really, the Shield is a beast.  Now someone please make a saturn emulator!
I think even the shield is beyond that shenmue would prefer Dreamcast 
Oh yeah!  Where's the Dreamcast emulator for the Shield?
i was jst judging it by the progress made on pc saturn hardware is supposedly a nightmare and ive still to see half decent saturn emulation even on a pc dreamcast however is fullspeed and the hardware seams a lot less complicated 

Would like to see an optimized version of DEMUL as that plays naomi and atomiswave and sh3 games aswell

What browser are you using? I've had no issue with general browsing... but the wifi on my three units are not so bad... I can't recall since the Firefox 20+ it pegging out the CPU. Also Android devices don't use the full desktop version of firefox like we do..

Video playback is another issue, we don't have some commercial grade decoder for h264 videos like most android devices have. I think Flash is garbage, but video playback still needs a good decoder. 

Generally for youtube I use YTDownloader w/webm codec or Minitube now that is working again.
Recent Firefox. I know it's slow but Midori or Aurora are not much faster. And they are far more bugy than Firefox (Aurora produces tons of errors at my Pandora for instance).I guess we really need an better browser for the Pandora, now sure which one. We have alot of browsers already but everyone has it's faults and drawbacks. For my Taste, Firefox is still the best one because he works flawless, I can use Plugins and websites look like they should.

Does the Shield have special optimized Browsers or use standard stuff from Android?

Its the standard browser and chrome come stock. The android default one supports analog stick screen scrolling, right stick acts as a mouse cursor in every app that doesn't take control of the joysticks (like mupen64 on Pandora) you can also get stuff like fenec or Firefox mobile or one of the others built for android. Flash works good (just tried the ICS build and its still functional) played some flash games and some videos.

Really, the Shield is a beast.  Now someone please make a saturn emulator!
I think even the shield is beyond that shenmue would prefer Dreamcast 
Oh yeah!  Where's the Dreamcast emulator for the Shield?
i was jst judging it by the progress made on pc saturn hardware is supposedly a nightmare and ive still to see half decent saturn emulation even on a pc dreamcast however is fullspeed and the hardware seams a lot less complicated 
Go try SSF Sega Saturn emulator on the PC.  It's runs Radiant Silvergun perfectly as well as many other high profiles Sega Saturn games.

Back