Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

Yeah 

I might pick it up for my tab depending on controller support...
It controls perfectly on the shield...I did not have to map anything at all. As a matter of fact when you start it up it shows all the buttons and how they are mapped on the Shield controller.

The game was made for the Shield pad no doubt. It is beautiful graphically, great audio and the control is tight. The sense of speed blew me away with those glowing nitrous power ups.

Best .99 I ever spent in a long time.

Took 30 mins. to download.

Oh yes I forgot...the car wrecks are cool then you start right back where the accident was.
Yeah it's 0.99c but if you want to get all the cool cars you have to buy them and they cost real money.  You may spend like $100 at the end to get all the cars.

^^^frankly! Fuck that! I will never play micro transaction crap.

Its a disengenous way of making money imo.

Yep!  That's why 1.51GB costs only 0.99C.  They cheat.
with the volume they push and the iaps the 99c upfront cost is comfortable for them and fair for us. You can beat the can and access all.most[the future?] features with the 99c buy in.

that said no controller support outside shield and probably moga's gear but hey, it works on my netbook.

Yeah it's 0.99c but if you want to get all the cool cars you have to buy them and they cost real money.  You may spend like $100 at the end to get all the cars.
Everything is unlockable by just playing the game. The IAP is there for impatient people.

You don't have to spend anything other than the original 99 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
No you don't.You are wrong..as said... It just takes longer the regular way to get better cars..My car was upgraded just after winning a few races with all gold stars. ,,,and tweaking your chosen car is the same.[paint,shocks,nitro,etc..]

But all you seem to do is bash this device and look for negatives.

Let me say this...I won a 1gig Pandora and I own  a Shield. The games/emulators that both play in common  look and play better on the Shield. Nintendo 64 is far,far superior. I play Goldeneye,Perfect Dark and Conker flawlessly.  All other emulators look better on the Shield's screen IMHO even if gameplay is close. Ergonomically  I think the Shield is way superior. I'd say PS1 gaming on the Pandora is a close second but again that screen is icing on the cake as is the audio. PC games have to go to the Pandora....for now... but once this Steam streaming is perfected it will supersede the Pandora. Don't forget the PC games the Pandora plays are like 15 years old or more....and even most of those are not running perfectly. I do love Quake on the Pandora though but I know that could be easily ported to the Shield.

Play Asphalt 8 with those Shield speakers and the Pandora sounds like a frog with a sore throat...Like I said ,,best .99 I have spent in a long time.

and surfing the net/email is effortless.

So please think again before you Shield bash because it is not justified. I love my Pandora but if OP thinks for a second they can compete with the Shield in the long run they are just plain delusional....yep they better come out with a Pandora 2. But it will not happen. Too much mess with Pandora 1.

Last edited:
No you don't.You are wrong..as said... It just takes longer the regular way to get better cars..My car was upgraded just after winning a few races with all gold stars. ,,,and tweaking your chosen car is the same.[paint,shocks,nitro,etc..]

But all you seem to do is bash this device and look for negatives.

Let me say this...I won a 1gig Pandora and I own  a Shield. The games/emulators that both play in common  look and play better on the Shield. Nintendo 64 is far,far superior. I play Goldeneye,Perfect Dark and Conker flawlessly.  All other emulators look better on the Shield's screen IMHO even if gameplay is close. Ergonomically  I think the Shield is way superior. I'd say PS1 gaming on the Pandora is a close second but again that screen is icing on the cake as is the audio. PC games have to go to the Pandora....for now but once this Steam streaming is perfected it will supersede the Pandora. Don't forget the PC games the Pandora plays are like 15 years old or more....and even most of those are not running perfectly. I do love Quake on the Pandora though but I know that could be easily ported to the Shield.

Play Asphalt 8 with those Shield speakers and the Pandora sounds like a frog with a sore throat...Like I said ,,best .99 I have spent in a long time.

and surfing the net/email is effortless.

So please think again before you Shield bash because it is not justified. I love my Pandora but if OP thinks for a second they can compete with the Shield in the long run they are just plain delusional....yep they better come out with a Pandora 2. But it will not happen.
What are you talking about?  I didn't bash the Shield.  I bashed Asphalt 8 because in the video monstercameron posted, the guy said you have to literally pay real money for cool cars (something like Ridge Racer on the Vita).  Please don't put words in my mouth.  I do like the Shield's emulation power; but I don't like it for its lack of portability and lack of real keyboard.  Like I said before, I would look stupid on the bus playing Shield.  Again, I didn't bash the Shield.  I have 3 of them and have no intention to sell....

Yep!  That's why 1.51GB costs only 0.99C.  They cheat.
^ this

Strange that the Shield is not available worldwide. NVidia doesn't want to make money with this Handheld I guess? ^^
I'm too afraid of that thing blowing up my house. Iphone 5 has a 5.45whz battery, and its explosion nearly cost some unluck lady's eyeball. The shield has a massive 28.8Wh battery, I would not be surprised if its blows up and send your car to the orbit.
You are confusing Lithium-Ions with Lithium Polymer.

The Shield uses Ion's which have a protective case around them and are not prone to "blowing up"

Lithium polymer's don't have a protective casing so the are more prone to problems from heat and puncture and then yes they can "blow up" easier. 

The Shield will have no problems.
I had no idea why Nvidia named this the "Shield".  But now the name "Shield" does mean something - the batteries are "Shielded" from blowing up :p   :D
this^

I actually think the Pandora is holding up remarkably well seeing as it's being measured against a device built around the latest and greatest soc. Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Agree.  In a soccer match, a weaker player can score a goal by using his skills and techniques.  Whereas, a strong player with pure bull power but without techniques can score as well by running over everyone on the field provided that the referee doesn't stop him.  The elegant and skillful player (or the underdog) is way more interesting to watch than watching the bull since everyone knows he'll stampede the opponents to score....and that elegant player is the Pandora  :D

Edit:  My favorite and elegant player of all time  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2b_Dc72D1s
this^

Unless you actually have one to hold and play you cannot really experience the fact that the Shield is in a whole different category. If you really do own and use one I don't see how you could have so many negative comments towards it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't dare bringing my Shield to work as I will get a pink slip the next day.  But no problem with the pandora.  I bring it to work and take notes on it everyday and my boss always said he love my gadget!  I laughed to myself:  "What a dumb boss, its an ultmate retro-gaming device! But you'll never find out!"  :D
and this^^ there is more.

no hard feelings though you are privy to your opinion even if you are wrong  ;)

Last edited:
this^

Unless you actually have one to hold and play you cannot really experience the fact that the Shield is in a whole different category.
What about my other positive comments about the Shield?  Go read them again in this thread somewhere.  You still don't get it.  I merely bashed Asphalt 8 based upon video review of Asphalt 8.

OK, so you said I trashed the Shield, but hey! you trashed the Pandora 10 times over and kept on comparing the Pandora against the Shield which is not even fair.

What about my other positive comments about the Shield?  Go read them again in this thread somewhere.  You still don't get it.  I merely bashed Asphalt 8 based upon video review of Asphalt 8.

OK, so you said I trashed the Shield, but hey! you trashed the Pandora 10 times over and kept on comparing the Pandora against the Shield which is not even fair.
Exactly...it is not fair because the 2 cannot be compared in reality.The Shield is a head over heels a superior machine.  Yep I Pandora bashed....guilty   :eek: ...so I guess we are both kind of wrong.

I still think you are a cool dude though :D

Last edited:
With all that said I will say it again .. I do not see how anyone in their right mind can compare the 2 devices.  This was a thread about the SHield and how the Pandora came into comparison is ridiculous to me. Like comparing a Porsche to a Mazda. Different leagues.

No debate here, no hard feelings. ;)

@Shenmue I think cococreek is at least somewhat correct. You seem to have some sort of deep bias here. It looks like it runs deeper than just an opinion. Don't know if it's android or the shield specifically or what.

Edit:  Also the Shield onscreen keyboard is just killing me.  I can't type shit with it.
^this too
Again, this is my true experience using the onscreen keyboard.  You may have positive experience using it but I hated it.  At the end of the day, it's a personal thing.  I was just merely expressing my personal feeling here.  OK, your personal feelings are correct but mine and others are wrong?

@Shenmue I think cococreek is at least somewhat correct. You seem to have some sort of deep bias here. It looks like it runs deeper than just an opinion. Don't know if it's android or the shield specifically or what.
I have no bias.  As I said, I did say positive things about the Shield.  

Yes I think I am right and you and others that disagree are wrong as far as this topic is concerned.. But we are all entitled to our opinions.

BTW...I agree with what SNESFAN said. I will say that maybe 'bashing' was bit too harsh of a word and I apologize for that. But you are deeply bias for sure as he said.

Peace..

Last edited:
I'm not saying you're being negative, just your opinions appear to be one sided. I know I may have missed some of your more positive comments, but the only thing that really sticks out to me, is that your happy with is PCSX re-armed in retroarch which is just a port from the pandora.

I don't know, you might be happy as shit with this and are honestly just viewing it in another light. But it just seems to me when I hear all your comments, you are indeed trying to be unhappy with your purchase.

EDIT: ...can't quite put a finger on it though.

Back