Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

Strange that the Shield is not available worldwide. NVidia doesn't want to make money with this Handheld I guess? ^^
I'm too afraid of that thing blowing up my house. Iphone 5 has a 5.45whz battery, and its explosion nearly cost some unluck lady's eyeball. The shield has a massive 28.8Wh battery, I would not be surprised if its blows up and send your car to the orbit.
You are confusing Lithium-Ions with Lithium Polymer.

The Shield uses Ion's which have a protective case around them and are not prone to "blowing up"

Lithium polymer's don't have a protective casing so the are more prone to problems from heat and puncture and then yes they can "blow up" easier. 

The Shield will have no problems.
I had no idea why Nvidia named this the "Shield".  But now the name "Shield" does mean something - the batteries are "Shielded" from blowing up :p   :D

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I think because of the large removable metal plate protecting the screen from being stabbed with sharp things from the back side.

But that works too :p

Strange that the Shield is not available worldwide. NVidia doesn't want to make money with this Handheld I guess? ^^
I'm too afraid of that thing blowing up my house. Iphone 5 has a 5.45whz battery, and its explosion nearly cost some unluck lady's eyeball. The shield has a massive 28.8Wh battery, I would not be surprised if its blows up and send your car to the orbit.
You are confusing Lithium-Ions with Lithium Polymer.

The Shield uses Ion's which have a protective case around them and are not prone to "blowing up"

Lithium polymer's don't have a protective casing so the are more prone to problems from heat and puncture and then yes they can "blow up" easier. 

The Shield will have no problems.
I had no idea why Nvidia name this the "Shield".  But now the name "Shield" does mean something - the batteries are "Shielded" from blowing up :p   :D
No I think it is rather Shielded from bad LCD cables,cracks,delicate nubs,bowing bezel,loose hinges and mushy buttons :p   :D

Last edited:
I have to say I'm impressed with PCSX-ReArmed in RetroArch on the Shield.  With appropriate shaders/passes applied, PS1 games look like PSP or even PS3 games and play flawlessly on the Shield.  Can those nice shaders and passes be implemented for PCSX-ReArmed on the Pandora?  I know it needs powerful processor but at least throw them in there for us to choose.  I can live with games playing at 25-30fps with nice graphics.

I have to say I'm impressed with PCSX-ReArmed in RetroArch on the Shield.  With appropriate shaders/passes applied, PS1 games look like PSP or even PS3 games and play flawlessly on the Shield.  Can those nice shaders and passes be implemented for PCSX-ReArmed on the Pandora?  I know it needs powerful processor but at least throw them in there for us to choose.  I can live with games playing at 25-30fps with nice graphics.
WOW, that sounds awesome. I may move my PS1 playing over to shield, and free up some card space for more Mame on my Pandora. I love PS1 games on the Pandora, but I'm sure with the filters and the better screen and speakers of the Shield, they will really shine. 

Damn, I want this thing like yesterday. I've got another batch arriving tomorrow, so I may finally keep one from this group, or not :p I'll have to see how sales go this week.

Chris

Isn't there a retro arch port on Pandora already with that core in there?
Tried it, didn't like it.  Nothing to do with the Pandora.  It's just the version of RetroArch ported to the Pandora is not the RetroArch for Android  :D    I have to go hunting for those shaders for RetroArch on the Pandora.

WOW, that sounds awesome. I may move my PS1 playing over to shield, and free up some card space for more Mame on my Pandora. I love PS1 games on the Pandora, but I'm sure with the filters and the better screen and speakers of the Shield, they will really shine. 

Damn, I want this thing like yesterday. I've got another batch arriving tomorrow, so I may finally keep one from this group, or not :p I'll have to see how sales go this week.

Chris
Yeah man!  RetroArch on the Shield is pretty impressive stuff  :D

I might pick it up for my tab depending on controller support...
It controls perfectly on the shield...I did not have to map anything at all. As a matter of fact when you start it up it shows all the buttons and how they are mapped on the Shield controller.

The game was made for the Shield pad no doubt. It is beautiful graphically, great audio and the control is tight. The sense of speed blew me away with those glowing nitrous power ups.

Best .99 I ever spent in a long time.

Took 30 mins. to download.

Oh yes I forgot...the car wrecks are cool then you start right back where the accident was.

Last edited:
Back