Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

it shows that nvidia is pretty new at this kinda stuuff

Gs52Y3G.jpg

^ That was the most ridiculous warped photo to make a false point I have ever seen.  What site posted that?

You've drawn a very long bow there monster my friend.  

On a different note, maybe it's me, but the graphics improvement although noticeable on that game, didn't really add much.

I don't know why anyone would test it at nearly 90 degrees if it can open wider :/

Available for pre order now for $350, delivery in June.Not too bad a price. This may take off yet, its got a lovely screen and i think it will gain some support with those specs.

got mine in before the doors shut!

Thanks for the heads up, been waiting for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
For goodness sake someone PM me a link. I forgot to sign up and didn't get the preorder link.

Or does it not work that way :(

Go to the nvidia.com website, click on store, search shield and it come up. Available to us and canada only at the moment. Other countries May 20th.

$350 - F.ck that - that's way over priced.   But totally predictable from Nvidia

I agree with everyone in the media - $200 - $250 at a stretch , anymore and its a no go. 

Any chance we will see discounting in several months time ? - Hmm, it is Nvidia I guess, but then again if it doesnt sell, will they have a choice

This from the Pre-order page

Note: PC Streaming will release as a Beta feature at launch

US & Canada only 

This should be a volume game for nvidia because it has the possibility to create a feedback loop. If they push enough volume,then more games will be made prompting more units to be sold...although easier said than done

$350 - F.ck that - that's way over priced.   But totally predictable from Nvidia

I agree with everyone in the media - $200 - $250 at a stretch , anymore and its a no go.
What's the basis of comparison on that suggestion?

Please note any plausible argument I can think of is either a subsidised device of some sort. Cell phone with contracts, ouya with their walled garden, sony and Nintendo with their licensing royalities, nexus with their Google promotions, amazon with their similar promotions.... I could go on.

This is expensive in the same way the Pandora is expensive. The exact same concept but with lower bottom line due to volume and cheaper mass production manufacturing costs.

Profit, recoup of r&d, and promotion of their soc and high end video cards, I think the profit margin and niche really brings home that price tag.

If you notice a couple pages back I had suggested $300-$400 as the sweet spot... That's exactly where it landed. I predict a great success despite the naysayers.

Archos gamepad, jxd s7300/7800/5600, yinlips ydgp xx, xperia play, wikipad and the daily crap that comes from china. I am sure nvidia is making these in either Taiwan or china, so high production costs don't seem to be an issue and they are providing the chips so they don't have to worry about chip set costs as much and external support.

This isn't worth $350 when you think about it, 2gb ram, 5inch ips display, 16 storage, bulky size, not the lastest version of android. The only two things it has going for it or is tegra 4 and built in gamepad. A nexus 7, game lip and six axis combo is cheaper, more ergonomic and when separated in tablet form is better for non game stuuf, seems like the wikipad might be a better value...

Do you own any of those android gamepads? I have owned quite a few. The cheap price is justified. Inside and out, premium is not the first thing that comes to mind when you use it. It feels like what $150 should feel like if you ask me.

it's not totally crazy to think the shield will feel like a premium device like say a ps vita or a pandora, and there is defined quality differences between a jxd and sony, and sony and openpandora and reasons in the differences in price and quality.

archos gamepad is kinda a mess, and similar build quality and problems as stuff from jxd but higher priced.

Nexus 7 isn't an all in one gaming solution, and leaning on google's market success as it's price subsidy. There is little to no profit per hardware sale. And not bleeding edge specs. The software sales and advertisements go directly back into google's pocket. Like a amazon kindle.

the xperia play when i got it after it came out was $700 unsubsidised, and specs no longer make it comparable.

So the wikipad is a good example though, I will grant you that. Comparable specs, target niche use cases and marketing strategy and manufacturing size. It has taken years to make it to market and still waiting but we'll ignore that for this argument. So lets compare the two.

For $249 you will get a tegra 3 (quad+1 core cortex a-9) 7" screen at 1280x800, 16GB flash, 1GB ram, android 4.1 with a detachable gaming solution tablet.

So for $100 more you get a tegra 4 (quad+1 core cortex a-15) 5" screen at 1280x720, same 16GB flash, 2 GB ram, android 4.2 with a non-detachable gameing solution tablet.

So we can all agree the shield is an all around upgrade to the wikipad in specs correct? (well minus 2 inch on the screen but almost identical resolution) Does not take build quality into respect, this is just what's on paper since neither are retail products yet.

So lets take another "upgradeable" device as comparison. Lets take the pandora upgrade buisness model. For an extra $100-200 depending on source and original model, you get a similar upgrade from the budget model, going from CC->GC or GC->1GHZ or CC->1GHZ bump in processor (same generation arm cortex) bump in ram and bus speed. Just generally "better" regardless of who you ask, true upgrades.

So my arguement is if wikipad is worth the $249, $349 should be well worth what could be seen as a wikipad upgrade.Both products have yet to hit the market.

Back