No More 275mhz Units?

vampire8bit

Overclocked units sold at craigix's website are now tested to run stable at 270mhz, down from 275mhz. I was going to order a 275 next week and really looking forward to it and now not so sure :( , any reasons for this?

No it is definitely not. The whole 275mhz is a load of shit, everything runs just fine at 200-260mhz, even NeoGeo and Quake.

This was bound to happen wasn't it, I just find it sad that you edited the October 8th news post to say 270, but left the '27x-VERSION' there. You overcharge people for cherry-picked GP2X's, that's just plain bullocks.

- Alex

This was bound to happen wasn't it, I just find it sad that you edited the October 8th news post to say 270, but left the '27x-VERSION' there. You overcharge people for cherry-picked GP2X's, that's just plain bullocks.

My GP32 (pre-blu) wouldn't overclock past the spec at all. I would have happily paid more for a unit that could. Choice is a nice thing to have.

Last edited by a moderator:
No it is definitely not. The whole 275mhz is a load of shit, everything runs just fine at 200-260mhz, even NeoGeo and Quake.

- Alex
While your statement that Quake and NeoGeo emulation are 'fine' at 200 MHz (neogeo emulation of most games with audio above 11025hz [22050hz is really the minimum to sound decent, it is the native sound samplerate] will stutter heavily at 200 MHz, and Quake is close to a slideshow at that speed, or any speed below ~266 MHz), I will fully agree the process of arbitrarily marking up the price on generic GP2X units is wholly deplorable.. it is causing an incredible amount of confusion because the marketing is so deceptive. These are the same GP2X units you could buy for cheaper months ago, but now if you don't pay extra, you get a unit guaranteed to overclock worth jack. Bravo...

everything runs just fine at 200-260mhz, even NeoGeo and Quake.
While your statement that Quake and NeoGeo emulation are 'fine' at 200 MHz (neogeo emulation of most games with audio above 11025hz [22050hz is really the minimum to sound decent, it is the native sound samplerate] will stutter heavily at 200 MHz, and Quake is close to a slideshow at that speed, or any speed below ~266 MHz)
:rolleyes:

I've got no problem with 11025hz sound, you should enjoy the game as a whole, not its perfection in numbers. It's not a concerto, it's an arcade game.

- Alex

- Alex
While your statement that Quake and NeoGeo emulation are 'fine' at 200 MHz (neogeo emulation of most games with audio above 11025hz [22050hz is really the minimum to sound decent, it is the native sound samplerate] will stutter heavily at 200 MHz, and Quake is close to a slideshow at that speed, or any speed below ~266 MHz), I will fully agree the process of arbitrarily marking up the price on generic GP2X units is wholly deplorable.. it is causing an incredible amount of confusion because the marketing is so deceptive. These are the same GP2X units you could buy for cheaper months ago, but now if you don't pay extra, you get a unit guaranteed to overclock worth jack. Bravo...

I was playing quake at 200 mhz yesterday, it ran fine, not to smooth but incredibly playable. Slide show speed? when was the last time you played it. I do agree that it is incredibly misleading to sell units with guaranteed overclocks though, many people have come to this forum asking about the 275 mhz "version" and have been clearly confused, because Craig reads this forum he should put some sort of note of clarification that the speed is reached by overclocking because it is hard to understand what "runs at 270MHZ" means.

Welcome to the world of marketing!

The official specs say that the cpu will run at 200MHz. I've never heard of anyone that can't run at that speed, so there's no misinformation there.

"Cherry-picking" units known to overclock higher is perfectly valid, and the same sort of thing happens in many markets. If you want a unit that works at the standard specified performance, pay the standard price. If you want extra performance, pay the premium price.

Craig is just giving you a choice. The alternative, which would be to sell all units without testing, would mean that buyers would be taking part in a lottery, and for those who particularly want an overclockable unit to run their favourite game or emulator, they would have to take their chances.

Personally, I don't see that overclocking past 266MHz is a great idea, so I wouldn't pay the money. Other people may feel differently and that's just fine.

It's hardly a huge problem. The higher price isn't just extra money in the bank for Craig, he has to work for these ones by testing the units out. If I was buying a unit now I'd pay the extra to guarentee I could overclock that little bit higher. But as people are saying 266 should be fine for most things, so people shouldn't be compelled to pay the extra, it's just a nice bonus for those who do.

Well, it's kind of a tradeoff - before, you had no way to guarantee you'd get a unit that could overclock that high if it was important to you, other than buying a used gp2x shown to go that high.

I don't see what the problem is really....

I mean if you want a GP2X that is guaranteed to reach 270, then go ahead and pay the extra if you want.

If you don't, well its not like Craigix is the only person who sells GP2X's. You can go ahead and "play the lottery" and buy your GP2X elsewhere.

Wow, there's such a demand for GP2X units OCing to 275+ MHz? Better get on with ebaying my first edition (stable at 280 MHz) then :p

I don't understand the hype surrounding overclocking. The GP2x sucks battery life enough as it is and I don't want to use up any more of it. If I find a game stutters at 200 MHz, I don't even bother with it and I remove it from my SD card forever.

Instead of expecting the GP2x to live with overclocking, we should concentrate on fixing bugs and finding more efficiencies in the developer community.

Wow, there's such a demand for GP2X units OCing to 275+ MHz? Better get on with ebaying my first edition (stable at 280 MHz) then :p

They wouldn't want it. MK1's have a bad reputation. However, the value would skyrocket if you added a D-pad.

Back