Nintendo Switch

You want!??

• Total voters

A Switch that doesn't switch. Next thing they make a 3DS that doesn't... oh.

While most of my time spent on the Switch is indeed in handheld mode, there's no way I'd sacrifice TV mode or HD rumble (it seems so insignificant but is really nice when done right). Local multiplayer gets rarer these days but is gonna be incredibly awkward when on this model, which doesn't seem to have a stand either.

If this isn't significantly cheaper, I frankly don't see the appeal. Though I'm not in the market for one anyways, I admit.

Yeah, all the things that make the Switch, the Switch, I have no use for, as I never play on my TV, unless it's the only option. As I have years of back catalog Wii/360/PS3 games, that I never play, simply because I hardly ever use the TV anymore for games. I haven't bought next gen yet for this reason, and once I finally get a PS4, I'm sure to use remote play to my Vita 90% of the time. The HD rumble while interesting, I always found another gimmick, with little to no value past the novelty of it. Now that's not to say I don't want rumble, as that's the one thing EVERY handheld lacks, and is the one feature I want. But just a normal phone rumble would have been fine, as I don't need the expensive tech so I can count ice cubes(not my thing).

The Joy-Cons, don't even get me started on those, as they are probably top 3 in the worst "N" controls of all time(the NES OG pad & Wiimote being the others). When taken off and used as one controller, they are next to useless(and I actually have small hands, and they still suck), and having those buttons for directional movement while attached is the worst. When I do use my sons NS, it's always on the TV and with the Pro Controller, two ways I would prefer not to be forced to use, but oh well.

So in the end, this lite, is really for those like me, who didn't want to pay $300 for features they didn't want or need, and now "N" will get $200 from everyone of those people(and some who want both), and they're probably into the millions, easily. The standard model isn't going anywhere, so if some one wants to "Switch", they can, and if they don't, now they don't have to. It's a WIN/WIN!

Chris

This would be pretty tempting at $150, but $200 is a bit much for something that can't be plugged into a TV. I could understand if the video out was limited to portable-mode quality (the hardware in the mini is likely weaker than the regular switch), and I guess I can see Nintendo not wanting to cannibalize their full size switch sales, but it's such an artificial limitation and it just sticks in my craw.

Also, while I'm kvetching about the thing, it's still too big for a portable-only device. It should have been a 4.5" display, and they should have come up with a more elegant (read: flush) solution for the triggers. It should have been vita-sized at most, but this "mini" switch won't fit in anybody's pocket.

Seems that the rumour mill has it that the Tegra has been limited to not output any video over USB-C in the new switch. Whether that's in hardware or software is yet to be seen.

This would be pretty tempting at $150, but $200 is a bit much for something that can't be plugged into a TV. I could understand if the video out was limited to portable-mode quality (the hardware in the mini is likely weaker than the regular switch), and I guess I can see Nintendo not wanting to cannibalize their full size switch sales, but it's such an artificial limitation and it just sticks in my craw.

Also, while I'm kvetching about the thing, it's still too big for a portable-only device. It should have been a 4.5" display, and they should have come up with a more elegant (read: flush) solution for the triggers. It should have been vita-sized at most, but this "mini" switch won't fit in anybody's pocket.

If memory serves, I've probably paid $200+ for each handheld that wasn't the Gameboy, GBA, or DS Lite, as even the Game Gear, Lynx, Neogeo pocket all had similar pricing. Hell, the 3DS launched at $250 I believe, so this is standard fare for me and the market at large. Yeah, I would love $150 as well, and if it was a big deal, I would wait, but I always said I found the NS without certain features, worth an asking price of $200. I think it's worth it alone for no other reason than getting a proper D-Pad, which currently cost about $70 or so to have(pro Controller). So this is a great deal, as to get the OG NS with proper D-pad, your probably in the $400 range, so this is a great deal depending on ones perspective.

Chris

The story that came out a week or so ago said that it uses a Tegra X1 that is now being fabricated using a much smaller node size. Thus the power saving (and better battery life) and or performance boost

Well... I'm not champing at the bit.

I had a probably unrealistic hope that the Lite would feature a 3ds cart slot (with a dedicated button to 'switch' screen focus), both screens visible when docked. I wouldn't *mind* having a Lite if it dropped in my lap, but as I jumped into the 3ds at the end of its life, I have plenty to occupy me.... I'm still amazed by it... It still feels next gen to me. The last handheld I had was a GBA SP (I've required one recently), so having missed the DS era, the 3ds is mind blowing (from my perspective)... I'm very glad to be out of sinc with the rest of the planet.

Before the NS was announced I was in the full throws of pimping out my Surface Pro 2, which is still my main computer... The two devices seemed too similar to me at the time to find the Switch inspiring.... I never would have used it docked anyway. I don't even own a TV.

I'm curious to see what the Pro Switch will be... But I may just skip this generation altogether. I have no doubt there will be a Switch 2 (Switch Advance ;) someday that I'm sure will be backwards compatible with current gen Switch games. Perhaps the Switch 2 will have genuine and enjoyable VR support.

Anyways, I'm sure we are seeing the end days regarding the tablet craze... It can't be that much longer before tablet devices are considered clunky and old fashioned... They say wearables are the next phase... Hmm. I guess, and I suppose the phase after that will be implants.

And that, children, is how zombies evolved... It began with something as simple and innocent seeming as newspapers and various forms of brainwashing propoganda... Progressed to radio, and took a huge leap forward with the Television. By this time the symptoms of zombification were becoming apparent.... But it was only with the Cyber era that all symptoms of zombification became ubiquitous and are considered 'normal'.... The slow purposeless shuffle, eyes staring blankly into some other reality... Arms outstretched and grabbing at who knows what, sometimes latching onto some material object and swinging it about in a seemingly mindless fashion... Occasionally bumping into walls and other zombies and then shuffling off again, lost in their own worlds...
And the typical zombie physique is now very evident... Some thin and emaciated from lack of real nourishment... Some unnaturally bloated... Others with untended sores or uneven sunburns, some only partially dressed or dressed with no sense of their appearance.... Many completely unwashed and foul unaware of their own stink... Of course most of this is observable in the working class of zombies... With higher classes passing as almost Human. It takes a decent AI to maintain the human appearance these days, and rental of those is steep... The lower classes simply cannot afford an AI that will take proper care of them, unless they sell their souls to an organisation with benefits, their only hope is to think for themselves... And we know that that ability has been progressively bred out of humanity for as long as recorded history, and probably back into pre-history.

If truth be told, most death these days is related to a complete inability to apply critical self-evaluation and independent thought. It's never said of course... Such perspective simply isn't trending, nor will it ever. Humans think what they are programmed to think, and perceive only what is projected onto them. An old fashioned way of saying it would be "they see only what is placed before their eyes".

But why did human beings evolve (devolve) into zombies? Of course the answer is obvious.

There is no better slave than a mindless zombie.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I thought about my needs recently, and whyle the Switch Lite looks cool, it’s not that worth for me another purchase:
A Switch that can’t Switch..

I play a lot Simulator, and Spintires American Wilds whiteout Rumble isn’t that good, I want to feel when one of my 8 Tires lose grip, par exemple, and maybe I want to use this „give your friends a Joycon for Splitscreen Multiplayer some day..

433167.jpg

Last edited:
Oh rly? Now for the first time a Switch is actually interesting to me. I'm still in no hurry to get one, but I'm sure the Switch will one day join my handheld collection.

What I still can't get my head around is the cost of the games... Almost a R1000 for a game just seems insane to me. I still regard R600 to be a bit of an ask.... Based on 3ds game price drops at the end of its life (what price drops???) I'm not sure Switch games will ever be reasonable in my eyes. So I may just buy the best version of the Switch at the end of its life, and probably no more than 10 of the best games in total. I seriously doubt I will try to get every good game for the system like I did for the 3ds.

I know it seems like game costs keep going up, but that's just inflation for you. Most switch games are $20-$60, and while that high end seems really high, it's significantly cheaper than what top-tier games used to cost when adjusted for inflation. Considering that games back in teh 80s and 90s were coded by a team of maybe a dozen people in a couple months while today's AAA games require a team of hundreds and a year or more to produce, it's actually pretty amazing how comparatively cheap they are.

Last edited:
I'm still happy with my old Switch.
I never reached the point where I needed so much battery life.
And I do prefer the old Chip with its known vulnerabilities.

Oh rly? Now for the first time a Switch is actually interesting to me. I'm still in no hurry to get one, but I'm sure the Switch will one day join my handheld collection.

What I still can't get my head around is the cost of the games... Almost a R1000 for a game just seems insane to me. I still regard R600 to be a bit of an ask.... Based on 3ds game price drops at the end of its life (what price drops???) I'm not sure Switch games will ever be reasonable in my eyes. So I may just buy the best version of the Switch at the end of its life, and probably no more than 10 of the best games in total. I seriously doubt I will try to get every good game for the system like I did for the 3ds.

I'm sure that flashcarts will be available in a year or so.

I wonder if they will discount the existing Switch to clear stock. Surely not many people will buy the current one now since the new one is so close and it has such a massive battery life upgrade. Well unless they discount it and put it on sale

I suspect it'll be like almost all previous game console revisions at least up till the 360/PS3/Wii U generation; they'll just backfill the channel with the new units, so after release if you buy from somewhere that has a lot of sales, you'll get a new unit, otherwise you may get an old one.

Looking at the Switch comparison page where The Verge got it's battery stats from, it's just a revised model number, so it's unlikely to be a New Switch as there was a New 3DS, or a PS4 Pro or anything like that.

I suspect it'll be like almost all previous game console revisions at least up till the 360/PS3/Wii U generation; they'll just backfill the channel with the new units, so after release if you buy from somewhere that has a lot of sales, you'll get a new unit, otherwise you may get an old one.

Looking at the Switch comparison page where The Verge got it's battery stats from, it's just a revised model number, so it's unlikely to be a New Switch as there was a New 3DS, or a PS4 Pro or anything like that.

Yeah, so even though this chip runs more efficient, "N" hasn't made any claims of any improved performance outside the battery life. I'm sure your see some improvements, maybe just not enough to make the claim, or they may not want to alienate first adopters. So I'm sure these will be placed in retail exactly as stated, and people will have to try to use the model or SN to determine which model they may be buying at retail. Of course online will be a total crap shoot, so that should be fun.

"N" could also have stock returned for the new model, then refit the old units, but I don't know how that may or may not work, or if it's an option for retailers. I honestly can't see anyone buying whats on shelf's, when they can get a new and improved unit for the same cost. So I could see old units sitting, unless discounted, as people in the know will wait until they know for sure what they may be getting. Also, at least here in the states, most consoles can be opened, used, and returned within a set period of time, so that may happen as well. You could buy a unit online, get it home test it out, and if it's not the unit you wanted, return it. Now that's not good for most business, but I see that happening, unless "N" has some kind of easy way to dump the OG models for the new & improved. Oh well, I guess time will tell?

Chris

Back