Nintendo Sixty Fooooooooooooooooooour!

JerryG20 said:
Ah, thanks for the clarification, but I'm still confused on how it is suddenly widescreen...I don't see any extra space on the sides of the screen being rendered, so does that mean that we are losing vertical data/image to render it in widescreen? Or do we actually *see* more in this widescreen resolution than with the original console version?

If I understand Craigix, Ari64, and other devs correctly:

You see more. The field of view is widened horizontally. It is like playing a PC game in 5:4 and then switching to 16:10. The characters don't all of a sudden get really fat.

Last edited by a moderator:
JerryG20 said:
Gruso said:
@JerryG20, just to expand on what Craig said: 3D graphics use vectors/polygons. Using Mario as the example, back in SNES days he was drawn using a set amount of pixels (a raster image). If you scaled him up he got blocky. On the N64, the Mario model is made from a bunch of points in space - like a 3D dot-to-dot picture. Lines are drawn between each dot, then it's rendered with colours/textures. If you expand that 3D dot-to-dot puzzle to four times the size, or a tiny 20th of the size, it still works the same way - the dots get connected, then the surfaces get rendered.
Ah, thanks for the clarification, but I'm still confused on how it is suddenly widescreen...I don't see any extra space on the sides of the screen being rendered, so does that mean that we are losing vertical data/image to render it in widescreen? Or do we actually *see* more in this widescreen resolution than with the original console version?

To me it looks like the image is simply being stretched in all of the videos I've seen so far. Personally I would prefer playing the games in the correct 4:3 aspect ratio which mean the image is pillarboxed. I think Adventus mentioned that this was already implemented and was a setting that could be easily changed.

MWeston said:
Paradox said:
sverm said:
This is excellent, and exciting!  I assume the "dead zone" will be configurable?  It seems the "down" direction got triggered often when the "up" direction got released suddenly and the nub sprung back, no?

uh oh. this is bad. quick, someone screenshot this guys post before he's carted off in the back of a van and never seen again.

but seriously, if there is a fault like this that can't be fixed, so much for those "2 years in development" nubs?
There's nothing wrong with the nubs.  They don't go down when you release them.  Quit trying to start shit all the time.

I think he might've just misunderstood about hysteresis

pder said:
To me it looks like the image is simply being stretched in all of the videos I've seen so far. Personally I would prefer playing the games in the correct 4:3 aspect ratio which mean the image is pillarboxed. I think Adventus mentioned that this was already implemented and was a setting that could be easily changed.
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/djAZUL/zoomed.jpg
Looks like there's some stretching as well, unless it's just some optical illusion.

Non-zoomed: http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/djAZUL/NewBitmapImage.jpg

Azure said:
pder said:
http://s4.photobucke...AZUL/zoomed.jpg
Looks like there's some stretching as well, unless it's just some optical illusion.

Non-zoomed: http://s4.photobucke...BitmapImage.jpg

Negative. The screen is tilted back slightly, making Mario appear shorter to the head-on camera.

There might be very slight stretching, but it looks like there's definitely more FOV.

Kramy said:
Azure said:
pder said:
http://s4.photobucke...AZUL/zoomed.jpg

Non-zoomed: http://s4.photobucke...BitmapImage.jpg

Negative. The screen is tilted back slightly, making Mario appear shorter to the head-on camera.

There might be very slight stretching, but it looks like there's definitely more FOV.
Could very well be the case; optics has never been my strong suit! There's definitely an increased field of view, though.

Changing the pace a little bit, one of the comments on the unofficial blog caught my eye:

Phawx said:
Doesn’t Mario have a tippy-toe animation? The Analog nubs seem like they have a very large amount of motion, so maybe it’s just the software that needs to be tweaked to be able to (easier-ly) finesse the analog?

I.E. the small amount that Craig pushed it, he was in the walk animation instead of the tippytoe.
Hopefully just a software tweak? Do we have enough headroom in nub range-of-motion for a sensitivity adjustment (if you make it more sensitive, then we have less range of motion for running/walking, no?)? Of course, not being a nub expert myself, I could be understanding this situation entirely incorrectly (if this is the case, it's a shame we couldn't use the first nubs we saw that had a greater range of motion).

This is a lot better than what I was thinking it would be especially this early on. Here is a list of games I hope run eventually though if not already.

- Both of the Zelda games
- Paper Mario
- Smash Bros.
- lastly (Sin and Punishment) as a couple others have already mentioned.

I still can't get over how good it is going so far. (I can't wait to get my Pandora.) B)

SONY said:
I can't wait to get my Perfect Dark on!!! B)
That's unfortunate, since Perfect Dark will probably be one of the slower games, if it runs at all.

Great to see Lylat Wars running go great, that's one of my all-time favourites.

iprice said:
I seriously can't wait to travel across Hyrule field again (for the umpteenth time) on my Pandora. :D

I've avoided playing the game for the last year and a half in the hopes I'd play through it once again on my Pandora.

X x Ben x X said:
This means that we can have starcraft on the pandora
Cool:)
Did N64 support mouse input? I'm not into consoles, so please excuse my ignorance. Starcraft with touchscreen control would be great. Played it on my old Stylistic tablet PC.

Back