Nintendo Sixty Fooooooooooooooooooour!

borgqueenx said:
n64iphone is out, i guess desame emulator. I can make some videos if you guys like...
Yep, it's built on Ari's dynarec too. I was really hoping it would see a Pandora release before it hit the iPhone. Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
No way! I did not expect this at all.. Starfox is so smooth and playable. Mario is shaping up well as well. Awesome stuff... Roll on January :D

Azure said:
Changing the pace a little bit, one of the comments on the unofficial blog caught my eye:

Phawx said:
Doesn’t Mario have a tippy-toe animation? The Analog nubs seem like they have a very large amount of motion, so maybe it’s just the software that needs to be tweaked to be able to (easier-ly) finesse the analog?

I.E. the small amount that Craig pushed it, he was in the walk animation instead of the tippytoe.
Hopefully just a software tweak? Do we have enough headroom in nub range-of-motion for a sensitivity adjustment (if you make it more sensitive, then we have less range of motion for running/walking, no?)? Of course, not being a nub expert myself, I could be understanding this situation entirely incorrectly (if this is the case, it's a shame we couldn't use the first nubs we saw that had a greater range of motion).

I just gave it a test with mupen64 and my gamepad. It's just ridiculous how small the zone for tippytoe is on that full-size pad (my guess is <1% of the stick's range). On a nub as small as the pandora's it's probably a matter of µm, but that doesn't mean they are not working correctly, but there'll maybe be a hack needed inside mupen64plus to make tippytoe possible on such small nubs.

After I got up this morning and checked youtube I was happy to find the new video, but disappointed with the performance. Now that I have checked it again via mobile I am very, very pleased. I found out the lagginess was due to my old pIII 900 I had to set up yesterday (my main PC's gfx card is all foo'ed up, need to get a new one, DX 10 I'm coming!) having problems with flash video... TMI

I managed to completely drain my cellphone's battery by watching the video over and over, It's sooo smooth! Citing Craig: Bloddy brilliant! Gotta add this to the latest videos thread.

Happy happy, joy joy

Paradox said:
but seriously, if there is a fault like this that can't be fixed, so much for those "2 years in development" nubs?

Paradox you seriously don't deserve a Pandora, please do us all a favour and ask for a refund.

Paradox likes to tease, which I find more amusing than bugging, tbh. He won't ever ask for a refund, because he wants his Pandora so much ;)

my report on n64iphone(only tested the roms in my collection):

Crashing Games:
Goldeneye Crashes.
Carmageddon Crashes.
Perfect Dark Crashes.(one of my fav n64 games)
C&C Crashes.
Holy Magic Century Crashes when starting a new game.
Mission: Impossible crashes after first screen.
Quest 64 crashes after first screen.
Pokemon Stadium 2 crashes after N64 screen.
South Park(one of my fav n64 games) crashes.
Starcraft 64 Crashes.
Turok crashes.
Turok 2 crashes.
Turok 3 crashes.
Vigilante 8 - 3nd Offensive says something about controller pack and i cant click it away to continue.

Working games(no framerate counter and sound enabled):
Banjoo Kazooi: Very slow, would not call it playable. But it runs and i cant see graphical bugs/errors. (i'd say 8~15FPS)
Duke Nukem 64: A tiny bit faster then Banjoo Kazooi, but i cant move forwards. No graphical bugs so far.
Earthworm Jim 3D:(one of my fav n64 games): Runs pretty smooth, playable. No graphical bugs.(so far) (i'd say 15~25FPS)
Legend of Zelds Ocarina of Time Master Quest: Runs slow, but also none graphical bugs.(i'd say 5~10FPS)
Rampage 2 - Universal Tour: Plays almost full speed with no graphical bugs or whatever. (i'd say 20~30FPS)
Super Mario 64: I would call it playable but i have no entered first mission yet. Some graphical glitches are available to(although not many) (i'd say 18~25FPS)
Super Smash Bros: Slow, but playable. Just like mario 64 some graphical bugs. (i'd say 15~20FPS)
007 The world is not enough: I'd say 10~15 FPS but it crashes once going ingame.(the ingame cutscene works)

Remember this is on n64iphone not on the pandora emulator. The Pandora will be able to run it faster because the iphone still has its large OS and other things pre-loaded.
Also, this is a early version of n64iphone. Im sure the most crashing games will be supported in the future.
N64iphone already runs faster then Daedalus for psp, although not alot.

Yesterday, Exophase explained me, that real (unstreched) Widescreen is not possible with the N64 Emulation onto the Pandora . I'm glad he was wrong. ^_^

Very nice Video. Craigix mentioned the nub-travel with 2mm. I wonder because I thought this limit was only when they would have choosen serial-nubs which did not happen. Our final Pandora Nubs are CUSTOM made, so theoretical, they could increase the Travel to whatever they wanted. Or is the nub not 100% custom made and still limitations in Hardware?

Paradox said:
uh oh. this is bad. quick, someone screenshot this guys post before he's carted off in the back of a van and never seen again.

but seriously, if there is a fault like this that can't be fixed, so much for those "2 years in development" nubs?

And you keep saying no one wants to hear MY negative crap >_>

Lots of your posts are like this, stop blowing everything out of proportion and panicking.

fusion_power said:
Yesterday, Exophase explained me, that real (unstreched) Widescreen is not possible with the N64 Emulation onto the Pandora . I'm glad he was wrong. ^_^

I'm not wrong, this IS stretched. I'm a little surprised you can't tell. Just so we're on the same page, I didn't mean that the image itself would be zoomed up, but that it'd be rendered at the wrong aspect ratio. IE, Mario here is too wide.

very, very impressed! although i had a play on Lylat Wars at the weekend and failed epically at it, its still great to know I'll get to play it on the panda. its all giving me good scope for building up my collections prior to getting it. i've optimistically ordered a dreamcast and a ps2 (since it will also play ps1 games) for christmas and at some point will get an n64 and others and start building up my game (and roms of these games) collection. exciting times! i've actually been saving playing Majoras Mask, somewhat optimistically, for when i get my panda but now it seems more feasible than ever!

Exophase said:
fusion_power said:

I'm not wrong, this IS stretched. I'm a little surprised you can't tell.

However, there is more FOV, correct? Is there a limit to what can be done in rendering, requiring the rest to be done through scaling/strecthing? Or does this stretching occur even when the 3D models are rendered directly to fullscreen?

EDIT: Oh, I think your edit answered my question. It can be rendered fullscreen, but the models will still become stretched either way.

the video made it on engadget
http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/22/near-final-pandora-handheld-gets-user-reviewed-shown-playing-su/

conso said:
Azure said:
Phawx said:
Doesn’t Mario have a tippy-toe animation? The Analog nubs seem like they have a very large amount of motion, so maybe it’s just the software that needs to be tweaked to be able to (easier-ly) finesse the analog?
Hopefully just a software tweak? Do we have enough headroom in nub range-of-motion for a sensitivity adjustment (if you make it more sensitive, then we have less range of motion for running/walking, no?)?
I just gave it a test with mupen64 and my gamepad. It's just ridiculous how small the zone for tippytoe is on that full-size pad (my guess is <1% of the stick's range). On a nub as small as the pandora's it's probably a matter of µm, but that doesn't mean they are not working correctly, but there'll maybe be a hack needed inside mupen64plus to make tippytoe possible on such small nubs.
If this is in fact a problem worth solving (and I'm not really sure it is, to be honest), there's a pretty straightforward workaround.

The N64 only has one analog stick, but the Pandora has two.
Map the second nub to the same input, but with a divisor, so that full motion on nub 2 corresponds to only half/quarter/whatever of nub 1. Take the greater of the two nubs' readings as the value for the N64 stick.
When you need to move very slowly (which shouldn't be often), use nub 2.

WhiteBat said:
the video made it on engadget
http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/22/near-final-pandora-handheld-gets-user-reviewed-shown-playing-su/

And the second comment is: "mario looks fat" :D People, the game IS stretched.

In dolphin-emu (gamecube and wii emulator for pc), there is an option to show on real widescreen games that didn't support it. But it looks ugly an with artifacts on most games, only a few work fine and only ingame, menus still show corruption. I'm not saying this can or can't be possible, with or without graphical errors, on pandora's n64 emu. Just that on dolphin, that is what happens.

Kagato said:
The N64 only has one analog stick, but the Pandora has two.
Map the second nub to the same input, but with a divisor, so that full motion on nub 2 corresponds to only half/quarter/whatever of nub 1. Take the greater of the two nubs' readings as the value for the N64 stick.
When you need to move very slowly (which shouldn't be often), use nub 2.
I'd rather use the second nub for the C-keys.

edgex004 said:
However, there is more FOV, correct? Is there a limit to what can be done in rendering, requiring the rest to be done through scaling/strecthing? Or does this stretching occur even when the 3D models are rendered directly to fullscreen?

EDIT: Oh, I think your edit answered my question. It can be rendered fullscreen, but the models will still become stretched either way.

In the pictures there appears to be smaller field of view in the Pandora one, not greater. But I think that the camera is not really the same between them. I don't remember the scene exactly but doesn't the camera pan there?

The difference in aspect can be seen clearly in the alignment of the 2D elements, but you can also clearly see that Mario is wider. Actually changing field of view is a very high level concept that I doubt would integrate automatically into N64 emulation, high level as it is.

borgqueenx said:
my report on n64iphone(only tested the roms in my collection):

[Sniip>

I suggest you try either Forsaken 64 or Rampage or Micro Machines 64 Turbo or any of the Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu games

Also I can't wait for High Def Rendering like we have on the PSP :D

Engadget is full of morons! I can understand someone thinking this device might not ever come out, but no one can dispute the performance being shown! That demo of Mario64 is the best running one I have seen outside of PC emulation(I don't belive the PSP runs as good, and doesn't support full sound, and controls like crap, due to lack of buttons), and that jackass can only point out that it has a short fat Mario. WTF!? This actually appears to have great analog control, and I would personaly map the second analog stick to replicate the 4 N64 C-buttons, as those where used for camera movement in most games like Mario64 anyway. So if that can be done, most FPS will function just like on the playstation or xbox! Although it might not work perfectly, as the c-buttons where digital, but I'm sure something will be worked out! Openpandora, YOU ALL ROCK!

Jumpman

Back