Nintendo Sixty Fooooooooooooooooooour!

1y26ba.png

B-ZaR said:
Kagato said:
The N64 only has one analog stick, but the Pandora has two.
Map the second nub to the same input, but with a divisor, so that full motion on nub 2 corresponds to only half/quarter/whatever of nub 1. Take the greater of the two nubs' readings as the value for the N64 stick.
When you need to move very slowly (which shouldn't be often), use nub 2.
I'd rather use the second nub for the C-keys.
Yep.

When I use my PS3 controller for N64 emulation, the left analogue is for movement, right analogue is for C, 2 of the buttons for A and B, one for Z, L and R as L and R, and the D-Pad as the D-Pad.

But really, you people are bothered if you can make mario tip-toe or not?

mvickers03 said:
No way! I did not expect this at all.. Starfox is so smooth and playable. Mario is shaping up well as well. Awesome stuff... Roll on January :D
I doubt the sound will be so smooth, though ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
edgex004 said:
However, there is more FOV, correct? Is there a limit to what can be done in rendering, requiring the rest to be done through scaling/strecthing? Or does this stretching occur even when the 3D models are rendered directly to fullscreen?

EDIT: Oh, I think your edit answered my question. It can be rendered fullscreen, but the models will still become stretched either way.

In the pictures there appears to be smaller field of view in the Pandora one, not greater. But I think that the camera is not really the same between them. I don't remember the scene exactly but doesn't the camera pan there?

The difference in aspect can be seen clearly in the alignment of the 2D elements, but you can also clearly see that Mario is wider. Actually changing field of view is a very high level concept that I doubt would integrate automatically into N64 emulation, high level as it is.
The camera stops panning once the text box appears, so the camera should be the same. And unless my eyes are failing me or I'm just really tired (it's nearly 6 a.m. here), but in the Pandora shot it looks like you can see one extra tree all the way on the left (you can barely see the tip of this tree in the other shot), which would lead me to believe that you have a wider field of vision @ 800 * 480.

The nubs are set up with most of the 2mm for marios running, it would be pretty easy to adjust that down so the tip toe is there. I know 2mm does not sound like much but it feels like more as it's 2mm in each direction, so it's 4mm overall.

Also the nubs are really soft on the fingers/thumbs, wow, no 'dreamcast' thumb going to happen here.

Paradox said:
but seriously, if there is a fault like this that can't be fixed, so much for those "2 years in development" nubs?
Oh for fuck sake.

Exophase said:
I'm not wrong, this IS stretched. I'm a little surprised you can't tell. Just so we're on the same page, I didn't mean that the image itself would be zoomed up, but that it'd be rendered at the wrong aspect ratio. IE, Mario here is too wide.
Indeed, Mario is obviously stretched, yet at the same time the FOV is also obviously wider. You can see it in those zoomed pictures that were posted. Puzzling.
The overlay is obviously stretched for very good reason.

Yeah, I don't know how I saw the visibility incorrectly. Maybe this is a different version of Mario 64, or maybe something is causing the display to get clipped in the original image. I just don't think that the emulator is actually intelligently changing the field of view.

Exophase said:
Yeah, I don't know how I saw the visibility incorrectly. Maybe this is a different version of Mario 64, or maybe something is causing the display to get clipped in the original image. I just don't think that the emulator is actually intelligently changing the field of view.
It wouldn't necessarily be intelligent, it could be a convenient quirk of the renderer: openGL is giving us a wider FOV by some weird set of unknowns or something.
Assuming that there is nothing significantly different between the roms, however, it definitely is showing more. The one can't be clipped in anyway. The overlay, as mentioned, is obviously stretched. In the "original", the 4 is covering the tree on the left, but on the Pandora it is not. The 0 is also closer to the tree on the right than in the original. So the overlay is being stretched more than the 3D scene. I don't have any other explanation other than magic.

@WizardStan: If camera transformations don't affect overlays and only the 3D scene instead then the camera could be "adjusted" by the emulator to have wider FOV (essentialy compressing the 3D scene horizontally) and the scene is rendered with wide screen resolution. The overlays will remain streched though.

borgqueenx said:
n64iphone is out, i guess desame emulator. I can make some videos if you guys like...
I noticed this among the links at the bottom of Engadget page:
http://www.tuaw.com/2009/12/22/nes-emulator-on-the-app-store-not-anymore/

You can also see some comments from ZodTTD. I wish that Apple doesn't give him any problems.

I guess this is why the "Open" part in OpenPandora is important. We're yet to see it, but I think it's almost a given that OpenPandora wont be such a pain with their own app store.

Yoyobuae said:
I guess this is why the "Open" part in OpenPandora is important. We're yet to see it, but I think it's almost a given that OpenPandora wont be such a pain with their own app store.
The real benefit of the Open part is, if they did decide not to host it we we can just set up our own repositories. No jailbraking etc required :D

WOW!!!! I really want a Pandora now so bad. I might just have to sell my PSP and/or my DS. I haven't been playing them anyways. Anybody want to buy a PSP Phat homebrew enabled or a NDS Lite (black) with an Acekard 2? LOL.....no really they are just sitting in my room collecting dust. I have had my eye on the Pandora for some time now. I really think I am going to have to get the Pandora now. I need a small portable computer and the emulation is just a really huge plus!

Yeah, found out which graphics plugin does it. Jabo's Direct3D plugin has an option in the advanced menu to "Adjust game aspect ratio to match yours" which means matching the ratio to your screen resolution aspect ratio. I don't think it's really 'magic' though:

14l0owx.jpg

Yoyobuae said:
@WizardStan: If camera transformations don't affect overlays and only the 3D scene instead then the camera could be "adjusted" by the emulator to have wider FOV (essentialy compressing the 3D scene horizontally) and the scene is rendered with wide screen resolution. The overlays will remain streched though.
Which is exactly what Exophase said should not be possible. And yet we're seeing it. Conclusion: magic!

craigix said:
The nubs are set up with most of the 2mm for marios running, it would be pretty easy to adjust that down so the tip toe is there. I know 2mm does not sound like much but it feels like more as it's 2mm in each direction, so it's 4mm overall.

Also the nubs are really soft on the fingers/thumbs, wow, no 'dreamcast' thumb going to happen here.

2mm actually sounds like a lot. It's very easy to see in your video that you have a ton of room to tweak the analog via software. Plus you can *easily* see how sensitive the analog stick is when you barely pushed it and was walking. I have to say from this small video, I am very impressed with the analogs on the Pandora.

Thanks for acknowledging the analog adjustment query. Seriously excited for my Pandora!

@kagato While I think your idea has merit, I have to agree with @bzar that I plan on using the right analog for the C buttons.

Exophase is bad. Nothing good will ever come of him.

Don't take people comments so serious. You are a great developer with impressive hardware knowedgle, and you have demostrated it. The trolls, they should return to the caverns where they belong :angry:

Tokiopop said:
Two words: Banjo Tooie.

efegea said:
Don't take people comments so serious. You are a great developer with impressive hardware knowedgle, and you have demostrated it. The trolls, they should return to the caverns where they belong :angry:

Don't take my member title so seriously. It was that for a long time ;)

Aethix said:
Tokiopop said:
Two words: Banjo Tooie.

That's not even the point. It would the same with a steering wheel. The Pandora's analogs seem to have enough leeway to offer the full range of motion. What we are seeing right now is if you were driving in a car, if you turned the wheel just a little bit, you already locked the wheels as far as they can turn...even though you have more play left in the steering wheel.

Hopefully I am getting my point across. The more important thing is that Craig already stated that adjustments can be made, so all is well. It's not that we care to have Mario do his tippy-toe animation, it's that the full range of control is available for us to finesse. Otherwise, why not just replace the analog stick with a digital button and have him run everywhere?

Phawx said:
Hopefully I am getting my point across. The more important thing is that Craig already stated that adjustments can be made, so all is well. It's not that we care to have Mario do his tippy-toe animation, it's that the full range of control is available for us to finesse. Otherwise, why not just replace the analog stick with a digital button and have him run everywhere?
I think you're worrying over nothing. We saw Mario run everywhere because Craig was pushing the pad fully in all directions. It's not because it isn't capable of the finer motion, it's that he didn't demonstrate it, and that is fine.

Back