Nintendo Revolution To Launch With 221 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the GC controller, like but haven't used enough of the XBox one, never get cramp when playing my sp/ds.
Not fussed of the Dualshock, a bit simple and the square corners get on my nerves...I hate the way the centre piece feels like a totally different section then the sides,it just doesn't blend well enough

It's not a matter of how well it fits my hand, it's a matter of not randomly changing stuff around and unorganizing it so that every time a new system comes out, there's a new button layout to get used to. I don't understand why Nintendo changed their controllers the way they did. The ones they had before worked just fine. The only change they really needed was to add some more buttons. I use the RetroCon because it's based off of an NES controller... the NES was my favorite system ever, and I love nostalgia. I was still used to it after many years of not playing the NES at all. Using the analog sticks felt very weird, and the L1 and L2/R1 and R2 being side by side instead of above or below each other took some getting used to, but now that I'm used to it, I love it.

Times move on.

Have you changed your mind on wireless pads yet btw?

I realize times move on, and things change. I have no problem with that as long as the change is logical. They gave us the NES, and then they gave us the SNES which was the same except it added 4 buttons and was rounded instead of a square. Then all of a sudden they give us this gigantic thing with 3 handles, a joystick that you're forced to use in almost every game you play, 3 shoulder buttons even though only 2 can be used at once, changed the relative postions of the A and B buttons, added 4 C buttons in the same configuration as the ABXY from the previous controller but moved them to a different position, and removed the select button entirely. That's one hell of a radical change. The change from the N64 to the gamecube isn't nearly as radical, but why the hell'd they make one of the buttons half the size of the other, and then turn X and Y into cashew shaped buttons and just slap them on randomly? If that's the result of lots of QA testing and redesign, then their QA department sucks... And No, I haven't changed my mind about wireless controllers. They offer NO advantage over controllers with wires... in fact, they're actually disadvantageous because you'll have to charge them. Even if they'll be playable for an entire 24 hours without having to recharge, it's still a disadvantage that you have to recharge them at all. For at least some period of time, you won't be able to play with one of your controllers.

I'd rather have a game that uses a lot of buttons than one that has a lot of functions that are taken out becuase the controller doesn't have enough buttons to handle them all... or being forced to use some retarded button combo to perform certain functions.

Try playing "wing commander" on the SNES.

I really can't understand why you think that Gamecube Controllers feel "cheap" or as if they are about to break. I think they feel a lot more sturdy than the Dual Shock, I always thought THAT thing would break soon.... I think the GC Controller is one of the best designs on a console controller ever: All buttons are easily reachable and while I was really unsure about that large A button, I have come to like it.

I don't know why exactly either... they just felt like they were made of really cheap plastic... I have 2 friends who are twins, and they used to have a gamecube. They broke like... 5 different gamecube controllers. I don't know how or what they did, but they broke them over the course of maybe a year. I have not yet broken a single playstation controller, dualshock or otherwise. The buttons are no more easily accessible on a gamecube controller than they are on a playstation controller, and because the layout is organized and not just slapped on, it's much easier to use. The buttons form a pattern... a diamond/square. Just by looking at it, even if you've never played it, you know where each button will be. You might not know what each button is called, so there will still be slight confusion, but they're a logical pattern that will be easier to pick up. And because sony isn't constantly making some radical change to their controllers from one system to the next(button layout is still exactly the same for 3 generations), you won't have to get used to something new. They're only changing the shape of the controller now.

I'm not trying to start a sony vs. nintendo war here, so please don't treat what I've said in that way. I'm just saying I prefer Sony's controller design and approach over Nintendo's. And for the record, while I don't really like the X-box controller either because its ABXY buttons are set up like a reversed SNES controller, and the controller(regular one at least) is fricken huge. But if I had to pick between X-box and Gamecube(2 companies with controllers i'm not fond of at all), I'd take the X-box any day. Most of the time I'm all for original ideas and innovation, but not in a situation like this where the "innovation" is totally pointless.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I agree that the Layout of the N64 controller was a little dumb with the shoulder buttons, I don't see why you should not be able to memorize the button positions on the GC controller? Put your thumb on A and move either down or up and to the side. The shape actually helps to understand where the buttons are - if you hold the controller in your hand and read an instruction booklet, you don't even have to know the button layout because there is only one possible place for the button. I think the "Cashew Shape" is a great idea.

BTW I still don't know what the buttons on the dual shock are called :D Square, X, Triangle and Circle, I think, but I am not entirely sure. I always hated it when I asked which button does what and instead of telling me "B is for Jumping" it was "Press Circle to jump". I don't know, if I give names to my buttons, they should be short and if possible consist of a single letter or number. Whatever.....

While I agree that the Layout of the N64 controller was a little dumb with the shoulder buttons, I don't see why you should not be able to memorize the button positions on the GC controller? Put your thumb on A and move either down or up and to the side. The shape actually helps to understand where the buttons are - if you hold the controller in your hand and read an instruction booklet, you don't even have to know the button layout because there is only one possible place for the button. I think the "Cashew Shape" is a great idea.

Totally agree i find the four button layout and shape of buttons make is very comfortable and egornomically sound to use. Far more comfortable and easier to use than the 4 button layout on ps joypad. The cashew buttons are very ergonomic and requires very little effort to reach as your thumb is located over the main A buttoin most of the time as this is key trigger button.

I also agree with the button layout on the GC

the triggers are also evry nice

There are 2 main reasons why I dislike the PS2 dualshocks

The sensitivity of the stick is too high

The stick were an afterthought, so they are plumped at the bottom, this makes the D-Pad the primary control and thats not even a real d-pad. I think the PS2 should have had a redesigned controller

other than the official XBOX controller, i have yet to use a controller i don't like. from the Saturns 3d game pad to the Nintendo Gamecube. I like them all, even the N64 controller. Dreamcast controller was great for me because I was already used to the Saturns 3d controller and it isn't really that much different in style. But if i had to chose, i would say my Gamecube controller is my favorite.

LOL AT THAT SHITTY YELLOW WORTHLESS SHITTY YELLOW WORTHLESS WASTE OF TIME SHIT WORTHLESS YELLOW CRAP WORTHLESS PILE OF SHIT WASTE OF TIME DO NOTHING HELP NEVER WORTHLESS SHITTY YELLOW ANALOGUE STICK

edit: and don't get me started on the Z Button :rolleyes:

GC controllers are indeed far more durable.. Believe me,I've gotten pissed off and broken both ps2 controllers and gc controllers and it takes much more of a beating to destroya gc controller...

My only gripe with the gc controller is the tiny size of the b button... especially if you have to press it over and over for something...

Totally agree i find the four button layout and shape of buttons make is very comfortable and egornomically sound to use. Far more comfortable and easier to use than the 4 button layout on ps joypad. The cashew buttons are very ergonomic and requires very little effort to reach as your thumb is located over the main A buttoin most of the time as this is key trigger button.

It's not that I CAN'T get used to the Gamecube controller(I've only played on a gamecube maybe 4 times at the most), it's that it's harder to get used to its button layout because it has no pattern. It seems totally random. I never said the 4 button layout was uncomfortable, I said it was illogical. "There is only one possible place for the button?" wtf? That doesn't make any sense. The button COULD be anywhere, and that goes for any controller. But the difference is that since the Playstation controller buttons are in a logical pattern, a diamond shape, you know exactly where each of the 4 buttons are. To whoever mentioned not liking the playstation's button names... that's entirely irrelavent. It doesn't matter what they're called. That has nothing to do with where they'll be on a controller, and I don't know if anybody else noticed, but most games I've played use the same control scheme they would if they were on an SNES controller... so whether it's XABY or Triangle, Circle, X, Square, it's still the same thing anyway.

I also agree with the button layout on the GC

the triggers are also evry nice

There are 2 main reasons why I dislike the PS2 dualshocks

The sensitivity of the stick is too high

The stick were an afterthought, so they are plumped at the bottom, this makes the D-Pad the primary control and thats not even a real d-pad. I think the PS2 should have had a redesigned controller

The analog sticks are too sensitive? That depends on the game, not the controller... If you're simply referring to how easy they are to move, I don't like it much either(that's one of the reasons I prefer my RetroCon. The sticks are harder to move, but they also don't move as much because they're a lot smaller, so things feel more sensitive... luckily, the only thing I play right now(TimeSplitters 3) allows me to change the sensitivity of the right analog stick). Yes, they were an afterthought, that's obvious because they weren't on the original controller. The D-pad SHOULD be the primary control. I hate using analog sticks, and D-pads have been used for a long time... what do you mean it's not even a real d-pad? how is it not? It's the same thing nintendo has, for the most part. The only difference is that it's "separated" because Nintendo decided to be dumb and patent that specific D-pad design(or so I've heard). Analog sticks are only good for first person shooters. Everything else can be controlled just as easily with a D-pad...

the reason i say the sticks are too sensitive is because you can reach the extreme point with little force, therefore precision is a lot harder (this is something a game cannot remedy)

i do not the fact the d-pad is seperated because for me it is uncomfortable

and I also think a 3D game should use a 3D stick

The only thing I use the D-Pad for is for Tony Hawks games

It's just comes down to a differing of opinions! Some like this one, others like that one!

General concensus tho, X-box pad bad, Gamecube pad good! And I'd go along with that.

But I still reckon controllers have a way to travel! Lots of gimmicks have enterntained me over the years, from buying a 'surf board' that fitted on the spectrum (who remembers that one? :D ) to eye toy, and of course light guns (love em!), I honestly believe that if Ninty can come up with something really great, it would mean more to me as a gameplayer than massively higher specs on the ps3! Maybe...

:D

I use the D-Pad for everything unless I'm forced to use the analog stick, in which case, I'll bitch like hell about it unless it's a shooter.

wow, hows about this for an off topic

i liked the original playstation controllers

nice layout, felt good in the hand

the gamecube has one of the nicest controllers ever created

if you play it for more than ten minutes you forget that its even in your hand.so long as someone with a pinch of intelligence has assigned the buttons you will face no problems.

A does the big stuff, allow thumb to relax slightly on its main joint to the hand and it will swing down and left to B.

When you need to do something that logically requires more thought you have X and Y, both of which are pressed by manipulating the central thumb joint further.

both the Dpad and the Cpad are easily locatable blind with either thumb, at a stretch you could have both thumbs on the same side of the controller.

the L and R are a work of genius, theres nothing quite like boosting your xwing at half throttle, gently increasing to a blast! the analogue and digital coupling is a work of awesomeness to the highest level.

and the gamecube pads do not break easily, this is coming from someone who is bad at games!

hmm yeah the gamecube controllers are very good and hard to break ;)
i really like the button layout. The only flaws are the tiny d-pad and the z button ;P

But the X-Box controller (the big edition) is one of my favourites too.
I dont know why everyone thought it is bad, in fact i really liked it and its much better than the ps2-pad.

Well it may be because i never liked the ps2 but i really think that the ps2 controller is crap. I dont like the analoge sticks and the buttons at the back are very hard to reach :/

ok now beat me up fo this :ph34r:

:lol:

I love the GC controllers

they are just so aweosme only problem I find is the Z button is somewhat awkward

the button lay out is great

The PS controllers are okay I never get use to them even though I haven't really beaten a lot fo games (don't own a PS2)

but I still love the GCN controller great layout, wicked confortiable, just need to fix the Z button some how maybe make it a little bigger

Won't beat you up!

@Magus, you have to concede that by your own admission you haven't played the Gamecube that much. Yet you dish it completely. Those of us that played it a lot loved it...

Maybe you should speak with a little more knowledge....

He's gonna go balistic now!!!! :D

eh?? "back buttons?" I'm assuming you mean the L2 and R2 buttons... and if you have trouble reaching them, you must have the smallest hands in the world... in which case, I would suggest you try a MadCatz MicroCon, a ps2(they also make them for the other 2 systems) controller specifically designed for people with smaller hands.

I'm not saying it's a horrible controller, I'm saying that the button layout is weird, and I don't understand why they changed it so drastically from the design their SNES controller. The playstation controller's 4 buttons are in the shape of a diamond, which is the same thing as a square that's been rotated 45 degrees. Because of that, you touch one button and automatically know where the rest will be in relationship to the one you touched... because it's in an actual pattern. The gamecube's 4 buttons are not in any kind of pattern at all. If you don't already know where each button is, you have to look down at the controller. The buttons are arranged kind of similarly to the way they used to be, but they reversed the position of X and Y in relation to each other and for some reason made B half the size of A. Apart from that, it's not nearly as comfortable for me. And just because I haven't played gamecube a lot doesn't mean that I don't know anything about it or its controller. I can just look at it and tell you that it would take me some time to get used to the button layout because it's not in any kind of pattern. Experience is not the only way to gain knowlege. And just because one person's experience isn't as extensive, that doesn't mean he's wrong. You have no way of confirming or denying my experience or how the controller feels in my hands... You cannot deny that there is no pattern to the way the buttons are placed on the controller either.

The bottom line is this: The PS2 controller has more buttons in about the same amount of space. It fits my hand perfectly, and the button layout is in a pattern that everybody knows and makes perfect sense... It's a good progression from the SNES controller... it's what Nintendo SHOULD have made for the N64, and I like it better. Nothing anybody says is going to change that. I'm not trying to say it's a better controller, just that it's easier to learn to use, and its button layout makes more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back