Nintendo Revolution Specs Have Been Released

Mudi posted on Apr 1 2006 at 04:24 PM said:
Alpha2 posted on Apr 1 2006 at 11:08 AM said:
Impulse buys are rarely 250 dollars which is what I suspect the Rev will cost.

You do realize that since (at least) the SNES Nintendo has never launched a console for more than $199.
Indeed. A $200 Revolution is basically a guarantee. I wouldn't be all that surprised if it were even lower, like $180 or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Apr 2 2006 at 02:48 PM said:
grahf posted on Apr 1 2006 at 11:42 PM said:
yeah it was a joke... bad one i suppose.
no. i should have just quoted sony i suppose. my comment didnt concern you grahf. I just thought his remark as childish at this point as he backed it w/ no info whatsoever

edit:

2,000TH POST W0000000000000TTT!!!

party.gif
party.gif
party.gif
party.gif
party.gif
party.gif
party.gif

Twas just a fanboyish remark from me actually. By the way, congrats on your 2000th + posts. w000000000t!!!!!!!!!11111111 *clap*
:D :D :D

Why can't we just say both PS3 and Revo are great and like them both? Why should we have to choose one and insult the other to death? I can totally see them both doing well in the market, and having successful Revo won't treaten PS3 or vice versa. Oh well...

Because people need to justify their purchases in order to convince others that they're right It's the bassis of all system wars and will always happen asl long as there's more than one choice of game system.

See that guy giving his friend advice on how "totally cool" the PSP was is proably just trying to get another person to agree with his train of thought, and it validates his own PSP assuming he has one or plans to get one in the future. of course that the guy bought it based on that totally well thought out argument, probably was planning to buy it anyway he just needed a push.

I'm thinking of the Revo being 50 bucks more due to all the extra work going into it, remember it's internet ready, wifi access for DSs, and there's also an entire web infrastructure for game downloads they'll have to set up and pay for. I'd say and extra 50 bucks is perfectly reasonable to ask, it's unlikely to be less than 200 at launch. It's still in the magic range for console purchases and against the 360 and PS3 prices it's still tiny. But I'm still sticking to my statement that an "impulse buy" has got to be cheaper. The GC at 99 bucks? Impulse buy. The GBA at 70? Impulse buy. A brand new Nintendo console at 200 bucks or more in a time where there are new and more popular choices being launched or about to launch? Not a very easy purchase.

There was nothing wrong with SONY's statement, it's just an opinion.

I think everyone is forgetting... people love to argue on the internet :D

About the selling price.. IMO I would expect it to be $200. *maybe* $250. Nintendo keeps harping on it being real affordable, so i wouldnt guess in that range.

And i dont know about everyone else, but im loving the low prices of DS games. I hope Nintendo keep it up with the revo. It seems like yesterday i was paying upwards of $75 new SNES games. Memory is so much cheaper these days, DS cards most likely cost a few dollars at most to produce (judging by current cost of bulk write-once rom & flash).

But a parent (like me) choosing a console would be much more likely to choose a $250 console with a few games than a much more expensive one with no games etc. So the impulse thing still sorta counts...

The main thing for me is the controller. It all comes down to whether it's a good idea or not, and none of us have seen it yet. I can't understand why some people hate the very idea of it. Why? Why be so against something that is new?

And the whole accessible argument is valid. Yes, the psp is no childs toy. But my mum can play the ds, my inlaws can play the ds. They like the games for it. What I am saying is that Ninty is making for everyone, and seem to be making consoles for this job.

And I agree, arguing about future consoles is great! It comes down, imo, to when we were kids and wanted our choice to succceed because the fear of having the dead system etc...

I reckon it will be cheaper than $250 for the console and one pad. The Gamecube was cheaper than that at launch and this is supposed to be affordable.

They'll make alot of their hardware money selling extra pads I imagine.

well, at least I can say that after buying (or before buying depending on the release dates) the ps3, it will be a relief to pay a normal price for a new console :lol: :rolleyes:

As a parent yes 200 or 250 would be far easier to buy but that's not an impulse purchase. you're making a concscious dicision to purchase the cheaper system and as a parent you're most likely making this dicision for the sake of your kids too because they'll likely be playing it as much or more than you.

People that dislike the controller do so because it's like asking a person who's been eating turkey most of their life for thanks giving to eat tofu this year. It's alien, it dosent seem like a great idea, it's not a certainty that it will be enjoyable just because someone else thinks it might be great. And finaly there's the debate as to whether after all the hype nintendo has been putting behind the thing whether or not it's all that "revolutionary" or if it's just something we've already used a decade ago only repackaged. Their success with a fancy hand held has NOTHING to do with their console success because they've always been the people to beat in the handheld market, they've NEVER been #2 in that arena, The PSP had 2 strikes against it already going into the battle so it shouldn't be so supriseing if it's still lagging in sales.

As for the revo price tag, also keep in mind that Nintendo has never released a system without making money on it so there is a slight chance the system will cost mreo to manufacture than the GC did. If it comes out this gen that they took even a small hit to put this system in people's homes it could make them look bad.

Alpha2 posted on Apr 2 2006 at 07:51 AM said:
Their success with a fancy hand held has NOTHING to do with their console success because they've always been the people to beat in the handheld market, they've NEVER been #2 in that arena, The PSP had 2 strikes against it already going into the battle so it shouldn't be so supriseing if it's still lagging in sales.
Before PS1 came Nintendo was never been #2 in console arena, either. Just reminding you that "never say never." :p

One thing I noticed is that some time ago, I remember reading arguement among people here including something ninja guy. He kept making negative comments about Sony, and others like Angel and Alpha2, defended Sony. Then, the guy turned accusing them of being sony fan boys. With this thread, I see the same thing happening except there is no ninja guy. The subject has changed from Sony to Nintendo and Sony fan boys to Nintendo fanboys. May I say it's another sign of circle of life? :p

[edit] another similarity was that ninja dude was saying that he was not negative about Sony. It's quite amusing to me.

The difference in 'Nintendo being number one before sony came a long' and this case is Nintendo has to struggle back from a serious case of weak public relations inorder to become first console-wise, something they seem content not to do or just somehow unable. They were already suffering just before the PSone came out and showed no signs of fixing it. It's one of the reasons I chose a PS over a N64.

On the "ninja" thing: I try my best not to insult people, it's too easy to have an argument over meaningless bullshit on the internet but I feel it necessary sometimes to step in when it seems like a realistic perspective is starting to get obscured by agressive loyalty.

Nintendo was actually behind the Genesis/Megadrive here in the US for a good deal of time, before catching up and then far exceeding it.

About the new controller, lets not forget that the revo is going to have Gamecube controller ports on it. Obviously it needs them to play the Gamecube library. I can see quite a few new games using old style control, instead of the new controller.

I expect it to be just like the DS: Some games such as Castlevania DOS/Mariokart/Advance Wars dont really need touch screen, but others such as Trauma Center wouldnt have been possible without it. ..and of course you have those games that just use it because its there, and just make it feel gimicky. The way i see it, the remote control is just one more option. Hopefully we will see some really inovative games, in the same vein as Trauma Center and Ossu Tatakae Ouendan. And for everthing else, my wavebird better work damn it! :D

Nintendo is very proud of their games and have a belief that their way is the high way. That's common among creative people like musicians. While their superb game creating skills brought us many many great games, also the same ego brought them enemies. They believed cartridge was way to go when PS1 came out. That costed them tons of third parties including the crown jewel of RPG makers, Squaresoft. They stuck a bigO A button on GameCube controller believing that's the way it should be. That also alienated pretty much all sports games and fighting games. The list goes on and on.

The point that I'm trying to make is that, at least, they have a vision, whether you like it or not, and try to improve gaming although not all of their efforts succeeded. I respect that as a gamer, and it's far more refreshing that any claim of 120fps display on 1080p resolution. You fail only when you give up, you know. ;)

I'll play PS3 or X360 that requires realistic graphics like FPSs and sports titles, and I'll play Revo to have pure gaming fun. I'm sadden by the fact that some of us here can't say the same.

itsme posted on Apr 4 2006 at 02:33 PM said:
I'm sadden by the fact that some of us here won't be able to say the same.

I know, because I'm sticking with my "all things SONY PS" brands and my Nintendo DS (lite). ;)

EDIT: Also, Tapwave Zodiac 2 and GP's XGP, if I can be bothered.

It's not anyone's place to say what is and isn't "pure gaming fun" for someone else.

Don't be sad for anyone, just play your games and other people will play their's and we'll all have our own fun. To say just because a game will look better that it probably won't have good/innovative game play features sounds as if you preclaiming "sour grapes!" And to think that every game the Revo gets will be something special is slightly delusional. There will be plenty of generic games more so then special ones because "special" takes time and investment that the majority of game companies can't always spend the time trying to make.

Alpha2 posted on Apr 3 2006 at 09:53 PM said:
It's not anyone's place to say what is and isn't "pure gaming fun" for someone else.
It's not anyone's place to say Revo controller can't possible good for someone else either. :p

Don't be sad for anyone, just play your games and other people will play their's and we'll all have our own fun.
That's what I've been saying all along, if you read my other posts. I'm glad to see you agree with me.

To say just because a game will look better that it probably won't have good/innovative game play features sounds as if you preclaiming "sour grapes!" And to think that every game the Revo gets will be something special is slightly delusional. There will be plenty of generic games more so then special ones because "special" takes time and investment that the majority of game companies can't always spend the time trying to make.
It's given. Not all PS3 games will drop dead gorgeous to look at and not all Revo games will be innovative and different. Let's just wish the best of lucks to all consoles. I want both PS3 and Revo to succeed.

Angel posted on Mar 30 2006 at 02:57 PM said:
easy creating of games is not always good, crash of '84 anyone?

Wow. Someone else who remembers that...

I still remember the free Kool-Aid Man game...

I dont believe I've ever personally said the controller can't be, at worse all I've ever said is that a fancy controller dosen't assure miraculous change in gaming. It's still a person's right to say they dont think it will be for right themselves. If I dont like the looks of something I'm going to say it, and one thing I CAN guarentee is that not everyone will be as nice about it as I've been.

But even then the fact that it's different isnt the only issue that puts people off from it. Like I said it's alien, it's been wrapped in a huge level of hype, and it's unproven. People react badly to things that are too different and if too many people react that way then nintendo's own attempt to bring new people will have scared people away under those circumstances it's up to Nintendo's PR department to try and change people's minds and get them on board, Nintendo has instead shown no rush to do so. Meaning that at best it can only change someone's mind if they play it which is less likely to happen if there are fewer people buying it.

I've said it before for Nintendo to reverse the way people have innitially reacted to the system they have to pull back from their overbaring "revolution" statments push their retro/backwards compatability game, internet content, and show some games already. Then you can spring the merits of the controller on people, this way it becomes an extra added value rather than a hinderance to sales.

Alpha2 posted on Apr 4 2006 at 06:46 PM said:
I've said it before for Nintendo to reverse the way people have innitially reacted to the system they have to pull back from their overbaring "revolution" statments push their retro/backwards compatability game, internet content, and show some games already.
That word, "revolution" really gets on your nerve, doesn't it? Are you a decendant of king Louis XVI, or something? :) I personally don't understand why you cling on the word so much and keep repeating yourself, "it's not revolutionary, and it's WRONG to use the word revolution!!!".

It's not like we've never seen marketing campaign before. I've seen worse many many times before. As I pointed out before, Sony with 120fps 1080P dual screen marketing hype bothers me as much as revolution hype.

You can say they don't have a prove that it's revolutionary, but you don't have a prove to the contrary, either.

Back